Author Topic: Biodiesel  (Read 4759 times)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
Re: Biodiesel
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 02:40:55 PM »
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2009/07/prweb2601144.htm

Heres a pretty good example.  The problem with food based fuel weither biodiesel or ethanol is LARGE amounts of land sutable to grow, and that impacts the cost of food. 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

LiveWire

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 08:27:57 AM »
The article you linked to shows that company will not be using farmland. Was your point as this is the way to do it?

The thing about the whole food use thing is that soy beans are subsidized and over produced. Large quantities are put in storage each year. Once so old, they are disposed of and the stores replenished with the latest batch. The idea behind it is to have reserves if there is a drought or something. The ones that are thrown away could be made into bio diesel. The remaining issue would be that if there was a drought, fuel production would go down because the beans would be used for food. The problem is that the government is not about being efficient, it is about short sighted people happy enough to vote for whoever implements something. Most Americans still think diesels are dirty so being greener with them is a harder sell and probably not worth the effort go grabbing votes. They would rather pump hydrogen fuel cells even though they are not practical because the theoretical completion of those systems is after the next election. Backing a solution that is practical now means the politicians would actually have to do something useful.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 10:04:41 AM »
Research this.  I have seen reports that a lot of the farmland in the US is being depleted of nutrients by overfarming. I don't mean growing nutrients but rather nutrient content of the grains. . BUT it will grow bumper crops of low food value grains that WOULD be quite valuable as a fuel source even though it would be nearly worthless as a food source. I'm betting in the future our food stocks will be largely supplemented by foreign food form other sources while we use our low nutrient grains for fuel..
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SPEC

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 04:11:48 PM »
Back in my ethanol brewing days ;D
There was alot of talk on brewing up grasses that grow wild on the sides of the roads here ...I never really got into that as a ethanol based fuel...But I did enzyme up a small batch of corn/ tomato stalk etc...But it smelled so bad I canned it before the final brew to get the fuel out of it

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 09:11:02 PM »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

chrishallett83

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 07:06:39 PM »
The article you linked to shows that company will not be using farmland. Was your point as this is the way to do it?

The thing about the whole food use thing is that soy beans are subsidized and over produced. Large quantities are put in storage each year. Once so old, they are disposed of and the stores replenished with the latest batch. The idea behind it is to have reserves if there is a drought or something. The ones that are thrown away could be made into bio diesel. The remaining issue would be that if there was a drought, fuel production would go down because the beans would be used for food. The problem is that the government is not about being efficient, it is about short sighted people happy enough to vote for whoever implements something. Most Americans still think diesels are dirty so being greener with them is a harder sell and probably not worth the effort go grabbing votes. They would rather pump hydrogen fuel cells even though they are not practical because the theoretical completion of those systems is after the next election. Backing a solution that is practical now means the politicians would actually have to do something useful.

Corn doubly or triply so! And it makes real nice biodiesel.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2010, 09:23:18 PM »
ESPECIALLY the low nutrient stuff!!!!!!!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010, 09:41:38 PM »
There was alot of talk on brewing up grasses that grow wild on the sides of the roads here ...

I keep trying to talk one of the wealthier people in town into starting this. Or at least doing some research into the idea. He has money to invest and is looking for something to do.  Seems to me that the ethanol plants could use some raw material while the grains are still in the field.  County can't afford to keep the ditches mowed, ethanol plants in search of a cheaper raw material.  Seems like there is a win-win little niche for somebody to fill here.

I just want to build the equipment and sell the guy my property for a base of operations and a test plot....
This post has been edited due to content.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal