Author Topic: Toyhauler, wife will travel  (Read 4853 times)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
Toyhauler, wife will travel
« on: March 03, 2010, 12:23:38 PM »
I have a GREAT lead on a small toyhauler.  Its a 18' Thor Wanderer.  It has everything my wife could want and probably more than me.  Nice size kitchen and bath and sleeps 4-6.  Can setup sat tv for 10yr old and me.  It will be tighter than Dicks hat band to get the buggy in, but I got an idea or two.  Cant find much info on this model but just throwing it out to see if anyone was familiar.  Hoping to make it to LS in May.  Buggy will probably break 1st day but will have a great time hanging.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Toyhauler, wife will travel
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 12:47:11 PM »
You'll never regret having a toyhauler. Just be sure your buggy will fit for sure and can be tied down well with the existing mounts. If not carefully see if you can place them so or pass on the unit.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 03:54:27 PM »
I have a GREAT lead on a small toyhauler.  Its a 18' Thor Wanderer.  It has everything my wife could want and probably more than me.  Nice size kitchen and bath and sleeps 4-6.  Can setup sat tv for 10yr old and me.  It will be tighter than Dicks hat band to get the buggy in, but I got an idea or two.  Cant find much info on this model but just throwing it out to see if anyone was familiar.  Hoping to make it to LS in May.  Buggy will probably break 1st day but will have a great time hanging.

Yes good D-ring tie downs are a must.  None of the dinky little screwed in to the floor stuff.  Be sure the bolts go all the way thrue the D-ring and floor with a steel backer or in to the frame.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 03:57:20 PM »
Is it front bath?  Reason I ask is there are a lot front bath 21' boxes out there that would give you a bit more space than an 18'  Lots of deals to be had on them right bout now.  How much space to you need to first cabinet?   
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 08:36:19 PM »
Going to look at again this weekend, and probably bring it home to see how the buggy fits.  It belongs to a family member but haven't been in it but once a few years back.  I think it will go by taking off front wheels, real close.  About 8' to cabinets so he measured.  Could take off front arms too, then I know it would fit.  Probably only 30 min to put back on.  Price about $3000-$4000 less than same size units.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
Going to look at again this weekend, and probably bring it home to see how the buggy fits.  It belongs to a family member but haven't been in it but once a few years back.  I think it will go by taking off front wheels, real close.  About 8' to cabinets so he measured.  Could take off front arms too, then I know it would fit.  Probably only 30 min to put back on.  Price about $3000-$4000 less than same size units.
That's going to get old in a hurry.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 08:54:14 PM »
  Could take off front arms too, then I know it would fit.  Probably only 30 min to put back on. 

I agree with Fabr that pulling the arms WOULD get old. If (BIG IF) the hiems on the arms and the steering would allow the angle you MIGHT get away with just pulling the lower shocks bolt and having a dolly to hold the nose high so the arms drop down and are narrow. But be a bitch to get it in the trailer without a winch. Hard to drive it like this or with the arms off.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 06:08:18 AM »
I know it would be a pain.  But I did the math and its the same ## of bolts just to remove the front wheels.  I have an open trailer for the 1-2 day trips but for a week I dont think it would be too bad, atleast 1st time or 2.   bs1
I'll find out this weekend....still have buggy tore apart to paint.  WAAAAYYYY to much prep for paint. 

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 06:48:52 AM »
I have to take my paddle tires off to fit in my trailer. But I can drive in with my dirt tires. It gets old changing tires all the time. Even with air tools on board. One of the reasons I am not real big on going to Silver Lake. DS had a 21 footer that he could not get his rail in. To short and to narrow in the cargo area. Also the ramps on those can get awful steep. I agree with Master look for a bigger one and see it is that much more. I have never heard any  on say I wish I had a smaller trailer.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 07:08:37 AM »
I had to back my car in with rollers and miss the kitchen cabinet by 2" to fit my hauler - sucked ass.  So, now I store my hauler at the dunes, have a deck over flatbed, roll out with paddles, come home with paddles on.  Makes for a much better experience. 

Wrenching, even just to put on rollers is still wrenching.  You want to wrench even more than that?  Not a good way to start or end the weekend.  Lots of deals on toy boxes.  Find a few on CL and make some low ball offers.  Get one that makes it easy on you.  Else it gets to be too much work.     
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 07:17:13 AM »
It seems to kill a 1/2 hour to an hour to switch tires. Get a jack out, get the tools out, get tires out, switch tires, put tires away, put tools away, drink a beer or two to cool off. Then drink some more and ride the next morning.  rofl
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 07:52:43 AM »
I had to back my car in with rollers and miss the kitchen cabinet by 2" to fit my hauler - sucked ass.  So, now I store my hauler at the dunes, have a deck over flatbed, roll out with paddles, come home with paddles on.  Makes for a much better experience. 

Wrenching, even just to put on rollers is still wrenching.  You want to wrench even more than that?  Not a good way to start or end the weekend.  Lots of deals on toy boxes.  Find a few on CL and make some low ball offers.  Get one that makes it easy on you.  Else it gets to be too much work.     
BINGO!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 06:22:35 AM »
I think I'm going to do it.  Now got to get something to pull it with, van wont cut it. thumb down  The price is a steal, but gotta few $$100 woth of work to do to it.  The buggy issue will be less of a problem than running back and forth to potty. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 08:27:25 AM »
Once you get your own potty you'll realize how much hassle running to the public outhouses really was.  ;)
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 07:49:51 PM »
Went to our local RV camper show. I found my new toy hauler, 43' Raptor with 12' of toy space. They wanted $48,000. More in my price range is the 24' toyhauler. Can't remember the name of the camper of hand. You have any pictures of the toyhauler?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal