Author Topic: Snow plows and blowers for lawn mowers  (Read 3829 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

Snow plows and blowers for lawn mowers
« on: December 23, 2009, 03:51:47 PM »
I want to see some pics of snow blowers and snow plows for lawn mowers/atvs.  I've got some material a 90 degree gearbox and some hydraulic motors here.  I want to build either a plow or a smaller but wide blower for my Zero turn mower.  I'm thinking that a single stage blower with metal flighting and rubber flappers in the middle to discharge the snow might be kinda nice.  I'm thinking 10" or so inlet by 48-50" wide. 

Ideas.....
This post has been edited due to content.

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: Snow plows and blowers for lawn mowers
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 06:10:43 PM »
After looking at that trailer I'm sure it will turn out very nice.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 09:51:45 PM »
I hope so.... I'm gonna try and keep this project simple and cheap!  ;D Don't forget I still got a press, a buggy, and a house to finish.

Any CAD guru's got tips on drawing sections of flighting so I can have them WJ or more likely traced out and cut with a jig saw. thumb down

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 10:00:11 PM »
Boost,you get one done and I like it I'll buy #2 from you. It will either need to fit a bobcat or a kubota like specs new one.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 10:01:05 PM »
With quick attachments of course.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SPEC

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 05:13:00 AM »
I don't think I'd go Hyd. for a blower for the same reason I didn't on the tiller...or my tractor  blower... It takes a shit load of fluid to spin it at the rate it needs to, and there is no give in the system hook something or pick up a chunk of something...shit is going to break instead of smoking the belt
As far as building the blower from scratch...There is alot of used ones out there for cheap to rob parts off of and to make improvements on,
You need to keep in mind that most Lawn/garden tractors weren't designed to take the punishment dished out by the impacts and weight hanging off the front of them, I've broken a few of them in half...
Hydraulics on various lawn mowers can be tricky...Alot depends on whether or not it has various PTO hook up points... Placing the pump on a verticle shaft motor is a real treat :-[ Cuz unless you have a belt driven pump it has to hang off the bottom of the motor...
Driving it off the hydrostat...That doesn't work either...not enouph flow
In my experiences I'd have to say that unless you have a Hyd./ or electric lift for it... the lift system on most mowers is useless for a blower and the blade...Heavier than shit and doesn't lift high enouph to clear anything over 3"
Something that everybody overlooks is the front spindle and axle assemlbies...Most of whats out there is a bushed 5/8" spindle/hub...Hang an extra 200# on that and you'll have mushroomed hubs...That brings me to the cheesey steering on most lawn/garden tractors...You will find that steering the fooker is touph unless your moving...even then...you'll here the click and feel the vibration in the steering wheel...that was the sector giving/ flexing and skipping a tooth or taking out teeth...Most are just stamped mild steel...
That's enough typing for now

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 06:37:48 AM »
Good point but it would be easy to incorporate a slip clutch between the hyd motor and the impeller.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 10:40:50 AM »
All good points spec,  all have been thought of already. ;D  That's why I picked up my 90 degree gear boxes when I visited the girlfriend last week.

On the used blowers....My mower is wider than most and I wasn't able to find one wide enough for reasonable money.  I have been kinda looking since I got the mower.
On the hydraulics....I decided that that would make for a heavy set up and require buying a pump, hoses, and making a bracket to mount them too.  I am leaning towards a belt drive from the original clutch that drives the deck to the 90 degree box mounted on the back of the blower.  Then a shaft from the box over to the end of the blower and a chain to run the auger.  I should be able to get any gear reduction I need that way.  If one long belt doesn't work, I could always go to two short belts with a varator in the middle.

For mounting to the mower, I was thinking a long H frame going to the back where the wheel motors mount so the frame doesn't take too much abuse when pushing.  To lift, I was thinking of using the original deck lift linkage and maybe some helper springs at the front to help lift the extra weight.  The lift system will raise the deck 4" and is already spring assisted.  Being mounted in the middle of the chasis, it should multiply the height of the lift.  I will only be limited by the height of the front edge of the mower which is 8-10" I think.  The front wheels on my mower are heavy duty casters with sealed bearings.

The main reason for wanting to do this is that is that nobody makes a blower for my mower, so it's going to be a challenge and maybe even profitable if it works out.

Here is the mower...

SPEC

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 01:21:11 PM »
I forgot you had a ZTR :-[

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 09:12:55 AM »
It is isn't it?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 11:53:25 AM »
yes

SPEC

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 07:01:18 AM »
don't have any pix...
But you could build an old skool one ...They used to drive them off of the 3 point with an impeller driven off the rear PTO shaft... They were a simple V shape  that got pushed into the snow until it reached the impeller then it was thrown...Something like that would be really light weight and simple as hell to build

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 04:06:28 PM »
I'm not sure I could get enough traction to make that work.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal