Author Topic: Is my Welder going to cut it?  (Read 2303 times)

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
Is my Welder going to cut it?
« on: November 17, 2009, 12:23:02 AM »
I'm going to start on a Barracuda soon and I'm wondering if my Hobart Handler 140 is going to be enough. Hope so, it is practically brand new. I'm converting it to Mig this week. Loaned it to a coworker (BIG MISTAKE) and told him he needed to put wire in it since I had used the sample spool that came with it. Well, true to form he put the cheapest chinese crap he could find in it and when I started working on a welding cart for a friend this week it welded like crap. So I figure that is a good reason to convert it and a better reason not to loan it out EVER again.

Anyway, has anyone used one of these on a build? I'm hoping high heat and low wire speed will get it by, but ti may be slow going with 20% @ 90Aduty cycle.
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
Re: Is my Welder going to cut it?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 07:45:15 AM »
Thats the welder I use, with gas.  It does a good job, running .030 wire welding .095 tube.  1/4 plate ok, just get all the metal clean and as good a fit as possible.  Wish I had the 180, but I doubt my welds would be any prettier. LMAO
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

SPEC

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 05:52:55 AM »
Just keep in mind that duty cycle ::)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 06:04:00 AM »
Just keep in mind that duty cycle ::)

Its not meant to run all day.  Few tack welds,  weld a couple tubes.  Never had it over heat, but I take plenty of breaks for cold beverages and jerky. LMAO
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 07:30:36 AM »
Yeah, I figure that is going to be the hard part to deal with. We'll see how it goes. I may just tack it all and do some of the lighter stuff and then take it to my friend's garage to finish it with his Miller.
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 08:03:02 AM »
IMO only I like to give time for welds to cool before moving on to the next joint. Doing so minimizes distortion -------and gives time for that cold beverage.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 03:23:15 PM »
Good point! Besides, if my beverage of choice does the same for a bad looking weld as it did for bad looking women then I'm going to need all I can get!

SPEC

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 04:24:28 AM »
 ;D
There is a trick to keeping distortion to a minimum when you have to wait weld from the opposite ends  towards the middle of the buggy...They will tell you when they are getting hot...and close to kicking out, they'll couph and sputter in the middle of a weld ...give it about a minute and have ater again...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal