Author Topic: tent camper with toy hauler  (Read 9793 times)

Offline Wyattboche

tent camper with toy hauler
« on: September 15, 2009, 06:16:16 PM »
I'm looking for a tent camper that has enough room to haul my buggy in front or behind the camper. Is there such a thing?

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Re: tent camper with toy hauler
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 06:50:25 PM »
like this?

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 06:56:40 PM »
I have seen lots of off the wall trailers with a camper on them then the space to haul a quad or two. All made by one company or another.

Probelm is they are never cheap. You are paying for the novelty of it.

In my opinion you would be better off just measuring your buggy and a tent and getting flatbed big enough for both. Then when not being used for the buggy and what you could use it for other things too so it would be cheaper and more valuable as a double asset.

I also am not sure what you mean by Tent camper. One of those pop up jobs? That the canvas tents stick out the ends of? It would not be hard to simply buy a good used one and roll it up on the bigger trailer and secure it.

But the fancey custom trailers you buy ARE $$$$.

Personnaly I like a nice 4x4 flatbed big enough to haul the toy(s) and a camper behind it. Then if need be the 4x4 may be able to go rescue the toy. 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 04:52:49 PM »
like this?

ya thats it. you have a link? wonder if you could put the camper in front and have the buggy in the rear?

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 05:00:30 PM »
ya thats it. you have a link? wonder if you could put the camper in front and have the buggy in the rear?

Wyatt

That type of pop up camper are a dime a dozen out there.  Infact there is one for sale like that down at LS.   Buy one like it take the running gear out from under it and mount it on a flat bed which any way you want. Front or back. Sell the running gear and buy a six pack with the profit.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 05:10:14 PM »
Hey fast, wonder if you could take a used camper and like you said throw it on a flat bed? What are they asking for something like the one pictured?

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 05:14:40 PM »
In my opinion you would be better off just measuring your buggy and a tent and getting flatbed big enough for both. Then when not being used for the buggy and what you could use it for other things too so it would be cheaper and more valuable as a double asset.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 05:15:45 PM »
Hey fast, wonder if you could take a used camper and like you said throw it on a flat bed? What are they asking for something like the one pictured?

You can bet that the one in the picture is at least 8k to 12k.  I have seen pop ups like it for 2k.  Then find a good used 30 foot flat bed to bolt it on to.  Get a shorter pop up and bolt in on sideways.  Give you more room for a buggy with out so much of a long trailer.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 05:40:52 PM »
Will that great alot of tongue weight with the camper on the front? Thats probably why they have the camper on the back.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 06:23:03 PM »
Unless you had a fifth wheel (even then) you would need to weigh everything and balance it out.

If you look carefully at the pics of the camper trailer above you will see the axles are nearly under the camper and not in the middle.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 08:07:22 PM »
There's a guy at Ls that has done just that. Works damn well. removed the axles and tied it down.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SPEC

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 09:25:30 PM »
I've been trying to swindle the Nabe out of his...I put a couple of 1" ply wood on top of it and had Barb's buggy on top of it with no problems ::)

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 12:34:02 AM »
Try looking at a Fleetwood Scorpion S1 like this http://www.rvweb.com/guides/manufacturers/fleetwood/models/2006_scorpion-1127324275889

Since Coleman bought out Fleetwood I'm not sure if their still producing these.

455bird

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 04:05:16 AM »
Make your own I have see pop-up turn sideways on a flat bead  I also seen one where they took a cab over camper and mounted on a flat bead so it has real sides on the camper then where it use to fit in the bed of truck the sides where closed in for storage

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 06:34:17 AM »
Make your own I have see pop-up turn sideways on a flat bead I also seen one where they took a cab over camper and mounted on a flat bead so it has real sides on the camper then where it use to fit in the bed of truck the sides where closed in for storage
That's what the guy at LS did. Looks and functions pretty cool.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal