Author Topic: rears  (Read 2445 times)

Bug

rears
« on: July 16, 2009, 12:17:28 AM »
This is a photo of a rear end we hope to duplicate here. We only have this photo but a friend is set on making this rear. He wants it because of how light it will be. I suggested using a standard double A-Arm rear end. We will be using a VW Golf axle as mentioned in some of my other posts.

Anyways, is there anything we need to know before trying to remake this photo ?  Any angles or travel info we need to know about and is this a bad design for a small woods / trail buggy.
Thank you for any info.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 12:31:49 AM by Buginator »

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: rears
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 12:51:37 AM »
i have that same pic and am planning on using those axles and that type of suspension (eventually).   If I am remembering correctly, without changing thier length, the short axles will get you approx 5-6 inches travel and the long ones will get you approx 10-11 inches.  I haven't played with the idea for a long time so you should double check those numbers.  What I would recommend is to find a local parts store that either has those axles on hand or will order them in for you to inspect before you buy.  I have seen length measurements on the net, but am unsure of how they were measured (axle only, or including joints).  I would also recommend, once you have decided on the long or short ones, to purchase them before building the suspension.  Having them laying on the table next to you as you design would be very beneficial.  I haven't actually started purchasing parts yet as funds are tight and it is a very low priority project.  I will be watching to see how you come out.  Please keep us updated.  Pics are always good.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 08:15:26 AM »
From what I have seen, heard, and read the three link does save a lil weight but is only good for short wheel travel (under 8 or maybe 10 inches (if the cv shafts you use can handle the angles that is))

You try to get more and the mounting points becomes SUPER critical and the tires start to want to twist to the edge of angles you might not want them to while driving which can make handling suffer some.

Personnaly if I was making just a fun buggy (under 50 horse) for off road I might consider a 3 link. But if I was planning on real power and driving it fast I would not. The little extra cost and weight of the extra parts to make a better suspension will barely be noticed IF at all.  Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 10:32:03 AM by Nutz4sand »
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 08:26:19 AM »
For simple tough and light this tail end of this machine is about the best I have seen.

With the semi trailing arms (or you COULD make them just trailing arms) you seem to be easier to control where the rear tire is pointed.

Of course the three link way DOES lend itself a little better to axles with low plunge than this type of suspension. But again I feel IF you are going for high travel low plunge axles will always be a issue.

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 02:04:12 PM »
This is a photo of a rear end we hope to duplicate here. We only have this photo but a friend is set on making this rear. He wants it because of how light it will be. I suggested using a standard double A-Arm rear end. We will be using a VW Golf axle as mentioned in some of my other posts.

Anyways, is there anything we need to know before trying to remake this photo ?  Any angles or travel info we need to know about and is this a bad design for a small woods / trail buggy.
Thank you for any info.

Are you going to use the VW outer bearings and hubs?  How about brakes?  How big of rear tires do you plan on using?  How will the center be driven, with a sprocket?

However much travel the CV's will give, they will give both up and down.  However the full compression travel cannot be used if the frame reaches the ground first.  This is affected by tire size, axle length, CV travel, and center heigth (sprocket or chain box).

If you make the rear links the same length as the axles and parallel to the axle then the plunge issues should be minimal.

The longer you make the arm running forward, the less toe change will occur.

How much travel are you trying to achieve, and do you have shocks yet?

I think that the 3-link design will work fine.

Bugpac

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 09:21:06 PM »
Thats bs on 8" of travel, with straight lateral links your gonna have major toe change tho, they need to sweep back to add more swing effect and less in and out...  Drakart has 16" rear travel with a 3 link, as well as king sand cars...

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 09:27:57 PM »
I would opt for the 5 or even 6 link as it really is not much extra weight for the pros it offers. Just my opinion. 5 and 6 links seem easy as its just a carrier with straight links in the proper locations.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 09:48:56 PM »
for a little low hp buggy I would say 5 link but the 6 link could save you butt if you take one out by accident. I don't know a whole lot about the 3 link but it is simple in it's design but it does have a few issues as bug pointed out. I would be willing to bet that a 5 link with aluminum radius rods would weigh the same maybe a little less than the steel trailing arm of the 3 link but I don't know for sure. you can buy the radius rods out of 6061 aluminum from speedway motors for $10 a piece already tapped for several sizes.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal