Author Topic: Trailer Building  (Read 6421 times)

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Re: Trailer Building
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 10:36:06 AM »
That sounds good.  5/4 deck, 4" channel sides, 2 x 2 x 3/16" crossmembers on 18" centers.

Are you going to use torflex axles, or spring?

If you are building it specifically for hauling the Drak/Prowler, I would line them up and measure the wheel spacings, and try to put crossmembers directly under where the tires will be setting.  Because of their widths, they will be easy on the crossmembers with the load close to the sides.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 10:58:17 AM »
Lumber is my field guys.IMO DO NOT use 5/4 decking.The shrinkage and splitting due to the shrinkage will be much greater.Use 2X8's . Should be approx the same cost as 5/4 now and much better. You can easily span 24" and not worry about where the crossmembers are in relation to the load carried.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 11:25:30 AM »
Lumber man has spoken!  I can't disagree.

My wife believes that I am going to build a deck on our house this year. :P  I was thinking of going 2" instead of the 5/4 for the same reason's.  Mainly I don't want any spring in it.  I wanted to go with the composites, but just looking at it on the rack, it bows very easily, and for the cost, I can't see that it would be worth it.  What do you recomend Fabr?

trojan

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 12:34:08 PM »
I would have thought 2x8 'lumber' would make it rather heavy?

SPEC

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 12:44:29 PM »
2X8 dimension lumber seems to be the "norm" for trailer decking around here to...

Admin

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 02:02:28 PM »
fabber what is the weight diff per ft on average? 2 x 8 16 treated are 12.00 5/5 likely is a bunch higher... I was mearly thinking weight...

Admin

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 02:04:19 PM »
That sounds good.  5/4 deck, 4" channel sides, 2 x 2 x 3/16" crossmembers on 18" centers.

Are you going to use torflex axles, or spring?

If you are building it specifically for hauling the Drak/Prowler, I would line them up and measure the wheel spacings, and try to put crossmembers directly under where the tires will be setting.  Because of their widths, they will be easy on the crossmembers with the load close to the sides.

Springs, Hung right to the underside of the 4 ", I am thinking to put the c out as well, Easier to weld cross members in, And a different look...

Admin

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 02:05:32 PM »
What about using angle, 4x2 bottom, and 2x2 top rail? i may compare the price differences...

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 03:40:14 PM »
I like not needing the rail for strength, and as an added bonus better access.

The weight of the 2x8 will be offset by needing less crossmembers.

Admin

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 03:49:18 PM »
so you think a 4" channel will be sufficent hanging 20'? And 2 x 2 cross members, then 4" channel for the tounge as well...

Admin

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 03:55:08 PM »
Im not dovetailing it either, I will have a 4' gate that folds in the center so upright it is 2' Shouldnt drag to badly, I will build the gate out of 1x2 tubing standing 2up and then cap the rear with a 2x2 angle... so it flushes better with the ground... Should be cake to build that way, Ill have the steel supplier cut all the cross members to length, Front and rear rails ill put the c in, and the side rails ill put it out, No 45 cuts that way either...

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 05:08:05 PM »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2009, 02:21:10 PM »
Bug my cross members are 4" the thing is heavy. Tows good just over kill for buggies.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Admin

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2009, 02:52:04 PM »
I am half tempted to go 2x3 angle for the lower rail and 2 x 2 angle cross members, then a 2 x 2 perimeter rail with a 4" c tounge...

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2009, 04:45:34 PM »
Did you price the 4" channel?

Do you still have the bandsaw?

Need to kind of figure the deck heigth with the wheels/tires/springs/axles that you plan to use, and see if it makes sense for the tounge to run under the  trailer deck, or to join in at the same elevation as the side rails.

Can you do a drop axle with the axle's/springs that you are looking at?

I am kind of partial to a low trailer deck for easy loading and unloading, and not having the cargo above the truck top.  Probably won't be a problem with you van but you might look at how tall it will be if the deck ends up being 20" high.  I don't mind dragging the ass now and then in order to get a lower heigth.  With no dove it really won't be a problem dragging anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal