Author Topic: ATV tracks  (Read 14354 times)

SPEC

Re: ATV tracks
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 06:20:36 PM »
I build a track for a dirt bike many years ago using a arctic cleat set up and industrial elevator belting...It was cool as hell for straight line and jumping drifts...but side hills were always a wash out affair...
I see a couple of peoblems with the slides you have...Your turning points on the ends are too small the track needs to have a larger diameter wheel on each end...it will take a shit load of power just to make the track bend that tight and the track won't last long either...
As far a a pre-made track I'd look at the polaris 120 kids sleds for parts there...Or do the industrial belting with cleats...that was pretty strong...You could use angle iron fopr some of the cleats or cut some old articcat ones down...I used 5/16 sst bolts with the end sharpened for studs and some of the cat claws for traction...
Stabilizing the track sliders on the front could get really interesting...The track should be held up in the front to keep the angle of attack high so they want to climb...not dig...Wgat alot of people forget is that if you get air born or apply alot of power is that the track wants to flip the whole assembly over

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 07:28:55 PM »
I was wondering about tracks a while back for buggies, and actually started a thread on MBN.  I was pretty much shot down, I'm glad that there is help being offered instead of the "you can't do that" opinions on the other site.   

What type of length are you looking for?  Would a track from a kids sled work?  (Artic Cat Kitty Kat for example)   
Well then,tell all your friends and get in on the membership drive contest! ;D ;D Yes,we do TRY to keep an open mind here. Well,most of the time anyway. ;DThanks for the comment. 8)
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 08:12:03 PM »
alot of people forget is that if you get air born or apply alot of power is that the track wants to flip the whole assembly over

I was waiting for somebody to mention that. ;D
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 08:40:08 PM »
I build a track for a dirt bike many years ago using a arctic cleat set up and industrial elevator belting...It was cool as hell for straight line and jumping drifts...but side hills were always a wash out affair...
I see a couple of peoblems with the slides you have...Your turning points on the ends are too small the track needs to have a larger diameter wheel on each end...it will take a shit load of power just to make the track bend that tight and the track won't last long either...
As far a a pre-made track I'd look at the polaris 120 kids sleds for parts there...Or do the industrial belting with cleats...that was pretty strong...You could use angle iron fopr some of the cleats or cut some old articcat ones down...I used 5/16 sst bolts with the end sharpened for studs and some of the cat claws for traction...
Stabilizing the track sliders on the front could get really interesting...The track should be held up in the front to keep the angle of attack high so they want to climb...not dig...Wgat alot of people forget is that if you get air born or apply alot of power is that the track wants to flip the whole assembly over
That may be why they kind of suck in the sand and don't climb well on the quad setups.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

LiveWire

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 10:05:05 AM »
I think the problem in sand is that the track does not flex enough. Hard paddles like Kenda Dune Hoppers suck. Thin carcass paddles float much better. A big foot print is not enough, it needs to conform to the sand.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 10:58:43 AM »
Kitty cat tracks aint real heavy duty so to much weight and power might tear them up. Plus not a large floatation area.

There WAS a guy who took a full sized VW buggy and put tow sled tracks out the back long the sides and skis on the front. I will have to try to find the pics and info on it.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

LiveWire

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 11:33:02 AM »
The tracks for the 120 sleds have larger paddles on them, are longer and cost less. All 3 brands use the same track.

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2009, 12:51:02 AM »
Also the sheer extra weight straining the motor? 4 quad wheels and tyres weighs how much? About the same as one of those tracked units?

What kind of "finished" weight are you aiming for with these?

That was my first attempt to make some sort of support of the tracks. I have not pursured this as my funds have run dry. They want alot of cash for these setups.
http://www.litefootatv.com

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2009, 12:58:35 AM »
They want alot of cash for these setups.
http://www.litefootatv.com

With good reason....
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2009, 08:22:15 AM »
I have a buddy with a set of those in Wisconsin. We ALL thought he would be able to go places we couldn't when he came to LS with it. WRONG!! It was fantastic in mud and would go through anything but in sand it couldn't climb a dune face for shit.He parked it for the rest of the weekend and rode his 2WD quad the rest of the time.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 09:58:59 PM »
I have a buddy with a set of those in Wisconsin. We ALL thought he would be able to go places we couldn't when he came to LS with it. WRONG!! It was fantastic in mud and would go through anything but in sand it couldn't climb a dune face for shit.He parked it for the rest of the weekend and rode his 2WD quad the rest of the time.
Fabr, does the tracks take power away from the atv? How does he like em? I would like to test one out before I shell out 4 grand.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2009, 10:06:01 PM »
Sled type tracks always have a lot more drag than a tire on bearings to spin. Add four of them and yes there is a lot of drag added. The ones I have seen they either geared them down or ran lower gears to compensate.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 06:36:31 AM »
Fabr, does the tracks take power away from the atv? How does he like em? I would like to test one out before I shell out 4 grand.
Yeah they kill a substantial amount of power but that's not the problem with them in sand as much as the lack of "track speed". He LOVES his in normal usage like mud,snow,etc..  They go just about anywhere-just not in sand. I think he feels like the loss of power is more than made up for with mobility. He has a Grizzly? I think it is. Anyway ,it's one of the big mofos with power/torque to spare. 
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal