Author Topic: Trailer tires 101  (Read 9005 times)

trojan

Re: Trailer tires 101
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 06:54:31 AM »
Put the kids in the trailer they'll love the fun and adventure and you'll love no toilet breaks and loverly pleasant trip all in all :o

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 07:32:33 AM »
I would like to add that most trailer specific tires and even a larger portion of large truck (semi etc) tires are only rated to 65 mph. This a part of the reason a lot of states have different speed limits for semi's and vehicles towing. Also a LT tire should be within 10% of its max pressure at all times. So a max 80 psi tire should always have 72 plus psi in it. Reason being the extra flex of under inflation can cause the bands to separate and break down the side walls. I got this info from a Goodyear engineer.

I was also told it is not good practice to have bias tires on a trailer if the tow vertical has radials. This induces a wear pattern issue on the trailer tire along with a potential stability issue. Same source.

But all things said you have to have tires rated for the load you are putting on them. I also have to admit to breaking every guide line I shared.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Admin

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 07:36:25 AM »
All the trailer tires I have seen are bias ply... Maybe ill keep looking...

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 07:41:05 AM »
Put the kids in the trailer they'll love the fun and adventure and you'll love no toilet breaks and loverly pleasant trip all in all :o
Not legal in the civilized world. ;D Of course bug is from the south now....................................... ;)
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 07:43:25 AM »
I would like to add that most trailer specific tires and even a larger portion of large truck (semi etc) tires are only rated to 65 mph. This a part of the reason a lot of states have different speed limits for semi's and vehicles towing. Also a LT tire should be within 10% of its max pressure at all times. So a max 80 psi tire should always have 72 plus psi in it. Reason being the extra flex of under inflation can cause the bands to separate and break down the side walls. I got this info from a Goodyear engineer.

I was also told it is not good practice to have bias tires on a trailer if the tow vertical has radials. This induces a wear pattern issue on the trailer tire along with a potential stability issue. Same source.

But all things said you have to have tires rated for the load you are putting on them. I also have to admit to breaking every guide line I shared.
Same info I have gotten. Broke same rules also. ;D ;D ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2009, 07:44:15 AM »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Admin

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 07:45:25 AM »
I need 205 75/15 or a 205 75/14 tire/wheel combo..

Offline Dunebound69

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 07:53:46 AM »
Goodyear Marathon I believe is a radial and also comes in that size. www.goodyeartires.com, www.tirerack.com could also be a helpful web site for your search.
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.

Admin

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 07:57:05 AM »
Yup, i am gonna do some searching, I think that good yr tire is well into the 100 range.. Bias plys i can get for around 55-60.00..

Offline Dunebound69

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 08:01:48 AM »
On my old trailer I had some Cooper LT tires and ran them for 2 years before I sold the trailer. They were still going strong. But I never pushed them to their weight limit. Only got to maybe 75% of capacity.

Admin

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 08:03:23 AM »
Ya at 1800 lbs each will net me 7200, Im looking to haul the trailer at 12 and another 2500 in toys... so 3700 lbs... and thats high i think likely closer to 3200..

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 08:14:07 AM »
Buy the bias for your trailer.It's not very heavy and they will be fine for a very long time.While we're talking about tires.They should be stored on blocks off the ground and protected from sun. Rubber degradation is the worst thing to watch for.Many tires are not worn out.They are AGED out.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Admin

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 08:18:39 AM »
I just called the local guy in town, he can mount 4 Hi Run "Less Expensive Bias Tire" for 230 out the door... Probbaly gonna go that route... And stick with the 15", I will still have a brand new 14" for a spare, Would get me off the side of the highway anyways...   205/75/15's... Probably are Imports i am guessing... Told me right up front they were not top of the line, but he has mounted a lot of them with hardly any warranty work...

LiveWire

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 08:30:43 AM »
I just looked up some and see there is a B-rated and a C-rated in that size. I did not look up the load rating. I would bet you are getting Bs for that price.

Admin

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 08:50:41 AM »
Im guessing so as well, I think the load rating was 18?? vs 20??...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal