Author Topic: Trojans take on engineering  (Read 17412 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: Cross Motorsports long travel two seater
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 11:03:53 AM »

Exactly, now argue how you're not being contraire ::)
WTH are you talking about now .
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

trojan

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 11:17:59 AM »
Oratory does not make you right. Nor does attempting to ridicule a person. There is no need for that.  IF you have something of value to add to this please do so. Insults are BS here sir.

IMO engineering anything is nothing more than voodoo science that becomes REAL once tested.

Then I appologise for your misunderstanding of my attempt to be frank. No insult intended.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 11:33:52 AM by trojan »

trojan

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 11:37:46 AM »
Perhaps if you substitute "don't want to understand it" for "don't have the capacity to understand it" you will get my intent.

:-*

01SANDRAIL

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 12:18:23 PM »
Wow! Now things are starting to get interesting. I think that it would be rather difficult to analyze every load and load path that most parts on our rigs would actually see in a true off road condition. So many things are happening to the suspension components at the same time. Anything can be bent or broken when you drive these cars like I do. I have a buddy that goes to the dunes with me on a regular basis that I truly believe can break anything.

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 12:26:05 PM »
I have a buddy that goes to the dunes with me on a regular basis that I truly believe can break anything.

I have friends like that too !!  Unfortunately I'm usually the fixer  ::)

01SANDRAIL

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 12:42:38 PM »
Yeah, its weird how many friends a guy with his own fab shop has. If I got paid to fix every thing that I have fixed I would be and efen millionare. Good thing I have friends like fastcorvairs. He actually returns favors.

SPEC

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 01:12:58 PM »
Your at the right site TOO.
I think we prolly got the best group of guys on the web here for helping eachother out ;D

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: Trojans take on engineering
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 03:04:38 PM »
Even trojan is a big plus!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 04:19:44 PM »
I see and agree with alot of points on this thread. But to stand corrected. Yes I drew them up. An A-arm I cant say was my concept. Just like a trailing Arm. How it was put together and where the bends need to be for the simple puzzle fit fabrication was what I was to do.

I dont get paid from these guys as they help me out ALOT! They have a full shop at my disposal (within reason) and donate alot of goodies to my personal builds. The Crew Chief is responsibe for setting me up with the FOX dealership. Sometimes its all who you know. Soon I hope to meet Jermey McGrath as he is the driver for the Pro 2 truck for this race team.

OK cxxtinue

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 05:50:17 PM »
I classify myself as a OzarkAmerican Engineer. I did go a year and six weeks to engineering school. I build things from my head. I or my friends test them. If they break, I build them stronger the next time. If they don't break, if requested, I build them lighter. I once built a wheely bar for a quad that weighed 2lbs. I just knew it would bend, but it didn't. Dunbsh$t luck I guess. Now I can run ideas by this board and get opinions. I don't expect as many failures. Thanks guys. Tim
In the words of my father "Never give up too soon, you might miss a good piece."

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 07:21:01 PM »
I classify myself as a OzarkAmerican Engineer. I did go a year and six weeks to engineering school. I build things from my head. I or my friends test them. If they break, I build them stronger the next time. If they don't break, if requested, I build them lighter. I once built a wheely bar for a quad that weighed 2lbs. I just knew it would bend, but it didn't. Dunbsh$t luck I guess. Now I can run ideas by this board and get opinions. I don't expect as many failures. Thanks guys. Tim
And THAT my friend is where ALL engineering begins. 8) 8) Good to see we Ozarks(hillbillies) engineers understand that. ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SPEC

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 07:38:46 PM »
Don't forget the JACK PINE SAVAGES...

artie on edge

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 08:19:16 PM »
Don't forget the JACK PINE SAVAGES...

It this for real?

"So what is a jackpine savage?

Jackpine savages eat venison and like it, often have dirty fingernails even if they are millionaires and like the unpredictable. John Wayne was a jackpine savage. Bill Clinton and Prince are not. Willie Nelson is a savage, Tom Cruise is not.

Being a JPS has nothing to do with net worth, college degrees, breeding or religion, but most JPSs are spiritual. I guess that goes with being passionate.

I saw one explanation of jackpine savage that likened it to being stupid. I don't think so, unless stupid means being dumb like a fox."

:o

SPEC

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 08:45:14 PM »
Jack pine savage to the Bone here,
I came
I saw
I conquered....
Not sure wich nationality was the 1st to be called JPS but I'm sure it was us scandinavians, Logging through the brutal winters up here...Alot of the timber can't be gotten to during warm months...have to wait till the swamps freeze so can haul the logs out over the frozen lakes and swamps...
I guess I was proud to be a savage...still am... I miss the lifestyle of being a Jackpine savage...
I've since been housebroken...and Tamed...er aaah Mamed :-[

dre

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 02:57:00 AM »
Am I right in assuming this thread started somwhere else and was broken out?

Either way I am a qualified mechanical engineer, spent 5 years at university doing stress/strain analysis, FEA, CFD, statics, maths etc.  My job now is designing agricultural equipment.  I use Autodesk inventor as my design/drafting software.

I have never had a proper load to build anything around, it is all based on making it bigger/heavier than it need to be to make sure it never breaks.  On no part we build could I tell you a safety factor.  I still designed it though, through a mix of experience, common sense, talking to users and breaking a few things I have a fair idea how big is big enough.  I designed the geomerty to make sure the linkages don't foul, etc, etc.

Doug it interests me that you say these guys don't analyse their parts at all.  I have often wondered about that because everyone in offroading seems to equate bigger with better.  Look on RDC, the guys there put up a picture of a trailing arm and if it is chunky with nice welds most guys say how great it looks.  Is weight not a factor here...a lighter car will be quicker, more fuel efficient, etc ,etc but that doesn't seem to enter the equation. 

I have been trying to design a buggy in my spare time, at the moment I am worknig through the suspension geometry, but the thing I am struggling with is I have no idea what loads to use to verify the strenghth of parts.  I am planning on making it as light as I possibly can as the class it will run in are limited to 1600cc motors so power is not limitless.  How am I going to make it light and make sure it is strong enough...not really sure.  May end up building a heavier prototype car that will be hard to break, then setting up some strain guages and go from there.  Either that or go on some basic road load assumptions and accept some (a lot) of breakages.  Not sure that answers this thread at all, but as a trained engineer I thought I would put my hand up.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 03:49:46 AM by dre »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal