Author Topic: 5 link rear end  (Read 42154 times)

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
Re: 5 link rear end
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2009, 03:41:31 PM »
Few from my computer.

If i was going to do a five link(hopefully someday i will),I would ask Mr Heim(because he seems to have it nailed down) to design a sheet metal part as close to the pic BDKW1 posted of the Briggs upright as possible. Look at that pic and picture a single piece of sheet,including the "tabs" for the links, going completely around a section of tube (similar to BDKW1s , upright.)with a plate on one end to hold the f150(or similar)cv and bearing.Two identical  plates with webbing in between and some mounts on the inside for the forward links.MAN!! its so simple but hard to explain on a computer without pictures!!Maybe i'll make one of my sweet sketches.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 03:46:33 PM by Hammerworks »

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2009, 03:49:48 PM »
Sheeesh, this morning at work ,i was an ultra precision machinist...here, I'm a janitor!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2009, 04:15:21 PM »
IMO all of these designs achieve what so many do not.The pivots are as close as possible to the wheel . Only makes sense to me that that is the best design objective. I don't understand how some "respected" builders don't get that. Personally I like that last one based on a midboard hub and TA plate that comes with it..
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Jet

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2009, 09:25:51 PM »
Fabr, your correct, that means longer axle, longer axle means more travel! travel doesn't bother me, but the old mans a bit of a pussy so we need to make it nice and smooth  ;D

Nah, Im aiming for 20" all round REAL travel. its something like 26 all round if you let the wheel go past the frame, if anybody has seen the last issue of dirtcomp you will see why im shit scared of it going past the frame.

question for you all.

In the centre im designing up i can get the cv's as close to each other as i like, that means longer axle, more travel etc. etc. But how close can i put them? sure i can bolt them sidebyside but the plunge is going to rip enough each other. so what can i do? i have it set at 2inch's between the cv's, i would love them to be as close as possible.

Cheers
Phil

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2009, 09:45:41 PM »
That depends on your axle plunge.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2009, 09:46:18 PM »
Dirtcomp link?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Admin

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2009, 10:01:09 PM »
Its amazing there is so called builders producing shit and having 5-6" of wheel travel above the frame, and the other boards praise them...

Admin

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2009, 10:02:19 PM »
Fabr, your correct, that means longer axle, longer axle means more travel! travel doesn't bother me, but the old mans a bit of a pussy so we need to make it nice and smooth  ;D

Nah, Im aiming for 20" all round REAL travel. its something like 26 all round if you let the wheel go past the frame, if anybody has seen the last issue of dirtcomp you will see why im shit scared of it going past the frame.

question for you all.

In the centre im designing up i can get the cv's as close to each other as i like, that means longer axle, more travel etc. etc. But how close can i put them? sure i can bolt them sidebyside but the plunge is going to rip enough each other. so what can i do? i have it set at 2inch's between the cv's, i would love them to be as close as possible.

Cheers
Phil

Use non plunging cvs and get your axle plunge to minimal... then you could bolt them together if you wished. Engineer has it all drawn up... ;D

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2009, 10:55:26 PM »
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2009, 11:01:16 PM »

I got my top secret model down to 1.5" with an added bonus and room to possibly go narrower.  No "real" parts yet though. ;D

Jet

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2009, 11:43:31 PM »
I'm Also trying to design reliability into it, so i dont really need to go too thin, i want to keep the bearings as wide apart as possible, and not have to offset the engine too much, but also get lots of travel.
its just one bit compromise isn't it!
 Would anybody be able to email me a dxf or dwg of a 60 tooth sprocket? 530. i cant get the tooth profile correct
Phil@digrite.com.au

http://www.dirtcomp.com.au/

Bug, non-plunging maybe, i want to keep everything as basic as possible, theres nothing worst than a complex setup when your rushing to get something fixed for the next race. i might just locate the axle in the cv? forcing plunge to occur in the outside CV. I find it very hard to change from something that has been bullet proof so far, in this case the cv's and axles. I havent done any, except when my rear end disingaged and the axle didn't really have a choice.

Cheers
Phil
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 11:58:39 PM by Jet »

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2009, 12:43:58 AM »
I don't see the problem ??? .  some day you may land on one corner and wish you had that few extra inches of travel.

Or you can pancake it flat landing a jump and break your back. Take your pick.

Jet

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2009, 01:11:31 AM »

you'll find it hard to bottom out both shocks if you have EDGE spec shocks. Im running alot of droop therefor its easy for me to hit the frame if i jumped a large jump.a nyway this argument has happened enough allready, if you want to keep at it can you do it elsewhere?

its a little irritating when its in every second post that i've ever posted in, consitering its a design, and its going to stay that way theres no real need to turn over old rocks.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2009, 01:39:55 AM »

Or you can pancake it flat landing a jump and break your back. Take your pick.

If you reach that point it means you aren't set up for what you were doing.  It's a case of being careless either on the driver's part, or the mechanic's, or both.
you'll find it hard to bottom out both shocks if you have EDGE spec shocks. Im running alot of droop therefor its easy for me to hit the frame if i jumped a large jump.a nyway this argument has happened enough allready, if you want to keep at it can you do it elsewhere?

its a little irritating when its in every second post that i've ever posted in, consitering its a design, and its going to stay that way theres no real need to turn over old rocks.

with all the multiple springrates, progressive damping and such available today, bottoming out should be a non issue.  Hitting the end of a shock's stroke is damn near as hard as hitting the frame.  Either way, Jet this is your thread and since old is a relative term, point me in the right direction so I can be brought up to speed.

trojan

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2009, 01:47:45 AM »

Don't be mate... check your email.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal