Author Topic: Boostinjdm's Trailers  (Read 18785 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: Boostinjdm's Trailers
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 03:04:18 PM »
Ok.  I double checked since you brought it up.

Northern wants $329.99 for single acting with solenoid.  2500psi
Northern wants $499.99 for double acting with solenoid. 2500psi

I would prefer double acting so I can use the cylinder to pull the scissor down tight.
I would also prefer a little higher pressure, which I do find from time to time on ebay.
single acting would be fine if i didn't use the scissor, but then I couldn't get enough angle without going to a multistage cylinder.  Aiming for 40 degree dump angle.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 03:56:46 PM »
Found out i have split personalities today.
One likes to measure.
One likes to build shit.
Neither one likes to talk to the other....

I have suspected this was the case for a while now.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 05:43:14 PM »
I always thought a power pack like what runs an outdrive up and down on a boat would work great.  No valve required, it just reverses directions.

Anyway I can't locate those now.  I thought they were around $250.

Here is one on surplus center for $219.  Depending on cylinder size it may be slow.  But I like the manual over-ride ability.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009052518360377&item=9-7550&catname=hydraulic

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 05:55:20 PM »
That had crossed my mind, but I am lookin for more like 3000-3500psi.  The duty cycle kinda has me worried.  slow doesn't bother me.  but with my 4"x24" cylinder I might be pushin the duty cycle on one of those pumps.  It's going to be totally enclosed so heat may become an issue.

sanddozer

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 11:25:01 PM »
Hi Boostin
you might be pushing the volume depending on the tank size but not likely the duty cycle i have been using this type of pump for years. heat also shouldnt be a problem, there is a pressure adjustment on most of them just be sure to use a guage to ck when adjusting it. Try running it befor you adj the pump , I doubt you will need more pressure than 2500.  good luck

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 12:21:03 AM »
Hi Boostin
you might be pushing the volume depending on the tank size but not likely the duty cycle i have been using this type of pump for years. heat also shouldnt be a problem, there is a pressure adjustment on most of them just be sure to use a guage to ck when adjusting it. Try running it befor you adj the pump , I doubt you will need more pressure than 2500.  good luck

I'm gonna hafta dissagree with just about everything you said.  Refering to the pump in the link....It says 1 GPM @1500psi.  Without doing the math, I would guess that a 4"x24" cylinder will require a gallon or more to fully extend.  So it would take 1 min+ to extend the cylinder.  It says 1 min on/ 5min off for duty cycle.  So just raising an empty trailer would exceed the duty cycle.  What happens when it is loaded and the pump really has to work? 

Heat will be a problem, I guarantee it.  the pump, along with the battery, and possibly the reservoir (if I can swing it) will be stuffed into the toungue with little to no airspace available for cooling.  It will have a lid on it and the trailer will be black.

On the pressure....My cylinder is good for 3000psi, and using a scissor set up I might need it. So if I have to buy a pump then I am going to buy one capable of at least 3000psi whether I need it or not.  The price difference is not that great from what I have seen.   Just as well do it right the first time....

If this type pump works for you then keep using it, but if my buddy falls through with his new freebie offer and I have to buy one. Then I am going to buy one I am sure is up to the job.
I can't afford to spend the money and then be dissapointed.

Keep in mind that most of these 12v power units "look" the same, but are of varying quallity.
Just because they appear to be the same, does not mean they are.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 11:42:48 PM »
Looks like I haven't updated this thread in a while.  Here's some pics...

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 11:54:55 PM »
Hey Boost looks good Mate I like ya hydraulic tank, but what are ya carrying on it semis/ tractors?
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2009, 11:05:27 PM »
Hey Boost looks good Mate I like ya hydraulic tank, but what are ya carrying on it semis/ tractors?

Whatever will fit. ;D  If I find something to heavy, I can always upgrade the axles and reuse these for two new trailers.  Lot's of tubing left...

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 11:09:59 PM »
Finally!  I think I got all the little details addressed and the main part of the frame can be painted and removed from the garage.  I'm getting tired of sweeping under it and walking around it.  My new paint gun sucks ass, hopefully I can get it figured out for the color.  If not, then I'll just have to resort to using the touch up gun, or rattle cans.  I'm good with rattle cans (and actually have enough on hand) ;D.
Here's a primer pic....

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 01:04:19 AM »
And.......it's black.  Gun worked OK.  Couldn't adjust the pattern for shit and had to thin the Rustoleum 50/50 with acetone, but it's done.  Now I just need to skip town for a few days and when I get back bolt the axles on.  At least I'll be able to move it. ;D

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2009, 10:15:36 PM »
Sittin on it's own two wheels.  ;D  I still have to order a new set of four, these are my bad set.  I just can't make up my mind on what size to get for the new ones.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 10:19:17 PM »
I forgot to add, finished deck height will be 20", which is LOW. ;D  Fenders are currently 30 inched from the ground and the steel sides will be bout 2-3" above that.  So I shouldn't have any trouble dumping shit over the sides to fill it. ;D  With the low deck height, loading the skidloader or any toys shouldn't be a problem either.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2009, 02:11:51 PM »
I've been putting it off, but now I have to decide what to do with the bed.  Three choices.  Flat bed, steel sides, or side rail.  I already have the sheet for the floor.  If I go flat bed then all I have to do is weld the floor down and add stake pockets.  If I go steel sides then I have to purchase material and get it bent for the sides, as well as make some sort of tail gate.  If I go with a side rail then I have to purchase material for those.

I'm kinda leaning towards steel sides.  Towing will suffer, but I will be able to haul loose stuff without it falling out and I could make a vinyl cover.  Flat bed would be easier to strap stuff down using the stake pockets, but won't hold loose stuff well.  The bed also wouldn't be as stiff, but I'm not sure I'll have any problems there. ;D  I could always add wood sides to the flatbed, but then my buggy won't fit.  The trailer will mainly be used to haul things that can be strapped down like tools, toys, and material.  Secondary use will be for scrap, debri, and dirt.

What do you guys think?

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2009, 04:15:36 PM »
Flat bed with stake pockets for stakes and removable side boards of perhaps several heights to make it a truly universal trailer.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal