Author Topic: Baloo's new toy  (Read 7104 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Baloo's new toy
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 03:02:56 PM »
I HAD the 1 camera system with the hard drive and SD  but you do not want or need the hard drive. I now have the 4 camera system.SWEET!!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

odypilots

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 05:40:45 PM »
This is the newer model of my new one. Haven't had it out, yet.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/597310-REG/Panasonic_SDR_SW21O_SDR_SW21_Waterproof_SD_Card.html

Bazz' set up seems to be the best deal if you want a bullet camera with a separate recorder.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/575700-REG/V_I_O___POV_1_Digital_Helmet_Camera.html

Offline Baloo

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2009, 11:25:19 AM »
l am still unsure about what l am going to buy, what advantage does the bullet type camera have over the normal camcorda ? is just easier to fix to your helmet  :o and stop you looking a dick with a full size camara strapped to your head, or are there technical reasons that the bullet type is better ?,  if they both give the same results then the normal style camcorda might be better as you can use it to film other things as well ?

is this any good to bolt to the roll cage ?
http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/519057/PANASONIC-SDR-H60EB-S

or this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-SDR-SW21-Memory-Underwater-Camcorder/dp/B001QXDLC4/ref=sr_1_74?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235504025&sr=1-74

one more question, on the left hand side under my name baloo it says referals 8 ,  whats that all about then ? 

a slightly confused baloo

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:59:15 PM by Baloo »

Admin

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2009, 05:08:33 PM »
l am still unsure about what l am going to buy, what advantage does the bullet type camera have over the normal camcorda ? is just easier to fix to your helmet  :o and stop you looking a dick with a full size camara strapped to your head, or are there technical reasons that the bullet type is better ?,  if they both give the same results then the normal style camcorda might be better as you can use it to film other things as well ?

is this any good to bolt to the roll cage ?
http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/519057/PANASONIC-SDR-H60EB-S

or this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-SDR-SW21-Memory-Underwater-Camcorder/dp/B001QXDLC4/ref=sr_1_74?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235504025&sr=1-74

one more question, on the left hand side under my name baloo it says referals 8 ,  whats that all about then ? 

a slightly confused baloo

it is for members who refer other members, there is a hicup in the program, so every member gets a count when a member is referred...

Admin

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2009, 05:12:01 PM »
cool thing about bazzs camera, he straps it to his leg so he has full control of the camera with in reach, and he can also see were the bullet is aimed etc, But if we all had bazzs money wed likely have one on each leg... ;D Daves camera is small, sleek and less expensive, can also be taken to the kids soccer game and used normally etc, user controls are not remote, so mounting it in a good location becomes more difficult, we are actually welding a tab on the car tomorrow were the camera will sit and fasten to...

odypilots

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2009, 06:12:06 PM »
I would stay away from a hard drive camera because they are a bit fragile for strapping to a frame. Even if you intended to record to the SD card, the hard drive would get pounded quite a bit.

About the only additional advantage to a bullet cam is that with some you can replace the lens, which is nice with all the mud that will be thrown on it.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2009, 05:01:07 PM »
So since you have played with your new toy, what do you think of the power, suspension travel, and width.  Would it be a good woods buggy as is?  Or would you change anything if you had the chance.  I've got a bare frame and just trying to get what I want to do figured out before spending $$$.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2009, 05:21:23 PM »
Does the Pilot have foot pedals for gas and brakes, or is it on the steering wheel?  If on the wheel, how well do the brakes work?

Offline Baloo

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2009, 01:01:43 AM »
Does the Pilot have foot pedals for gas and brakes, or is it on the steering wheel?  If on the wheel, how well do the brakes work?

all the controls are on the steering wheel which seems odd at first but it only takes a few minutes to get use to,  having the controls on the wheel is quite clever really as no matter how tall or short you are every one seems to fit ok, no need to have seat adjusters that would fill with mud/crap and not work anyway,
brakes are best described as poor :o,    they started of as poor and got worse through the day, dont know if it was the wet or mud getting into the drums but by the end of the day they were almost non exsistant,
dont know if its common or not but a disc brake conversion would  definatly seem a good idea to me, perhaps using the calipers and discs of a motor bike may work ??

Andy

Offline Baloo

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2009, 01:22:00 AM »
So since you have played with your new toy, what do you think of the power, suspension travel, and width.  Would it be a good woods buggy as is?  Or would you change anything if you had the chance.  I've got a bare frame and just trying to get what I want to do figured out before spending $$$.

well the power is ok but more would always be usefull but l bought the pilot to use while l work on my other buggy, so  my targets are a little different, l wanted something that l could just turn the key and it would start and run with no fuss, l dont want to be spending time fixing it instead of working on mine other buggy, l could see the advantage of longer travel suspension as well, but it coped ok with every thing we threw at it with no bother so why spend money on it ?
now it did feel it was a little small but again l did fit in ok, if l was starting from scratch l would like it 25% bigger all round but as it is it only just drives in the back of my van,  any wider and l would have to buy a trailer and then have to find somewhere to keep the trailer,
besides the small size that it is means it pretty nimble and shoots through the tight trails easily
all in all as a toy to leave in the corner and drag out once a month and expect it to start and run flawlessly honda got it right, it fits the bill perfectly
however if it was my only buggy l would probally want it a bit bigger and a bit more power and a bit more travel, you know the usall storey  ;D
but it really depends on your needs, for now this is ok for me as l want to experiment with my cam corder fixed to the frame and up loading and edditing etc

Andy

odypilots

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2009, 05:38:39 AM »
brakes are best described as poor :o,    they started of as poor and got worse through the day, dont know if it was the wet or mud getting into the drums but by the end of the day they were almost non exsistant,
dont know if its common or not but a disc brake conversion would  definatly seem a good idea to me, perhaps using the calipers and discs of a motor bike may work ??

Andy

Baloo, your brakes probably need service. I have found the rear brake to be quite good. The front brakes are decent, but require adjustment after a while. With the fronts you have to choose between maximum braking power or top speed. If the fronts are adjusted to allow top notch power, they tend to drag a bit. I've heard of people sanding the brake shoes to make more complete contact with the drums, but I've never done that.

I have heard good things about this front disc brake kit for the Pilot, but have no experience with it.

http://www.pilotodysseyperformance.com/index.php?cat_id=157

Since you are not looking to spend a bunch of money on your Pilot,  I would think new shoes and pads, and perhaps a brake bleed, would get you stopping like a champ!

Offline Baloo

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2009, 11:40:01 AM »
thanks for that odypilots, l will have a look at the brakes after this week end, l need to do something as they are awful,

l am taking the pilot out again this weekend, l have knocked up a  mount forthe camera so will hopefully be posting some footage shortly

andy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal