Author Topic: crazy trailer question  (Read 23028 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: crazy trailer question
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2009, 08:34:31 AM »
Aluminum enclosed carhaulers suffer from that but I always just chalked it up to poor design.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Jerry

« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2009, 09:01:37 AM »
I too preferr the tandem, they tow better (smoother). My deck is 20 ft, i wish i got it ft longer would have been perfect to put the quad on the end. I have been toying with adding 2 ft but not quite sure how or what that would do to the balance?

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2009, 09:10:32 AM »
I see cracks on alm semi box trailers all the time. Almost allways at the top or the rear doors in the corners. High stress spot. I too like tandems for more balance but a good single properly loaded can be a dream to tow.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Admin

« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2009, 09:26:20 AM »
I too preferr the tandem, they tow better (smoother). My deck is 20 ft, i wish i got it ft longer would have been perfect to put the quad on the end. I have been toying with adding 2 ft but not quite sure how or what that would do to the balance?

you cant get a quad and the buggy on 20' ? :)

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2009, 10:59:38 AM »
I get 2 quads on an old boat trailer I had laying around,single axle and tows like a dream loaded.Empty it will beat you to death.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Jerry

« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2009, 03:25:17 PM »
Two, two seater buggies and a quad. My first buggy my wife bought me it is a joyner 250 ( that is the one my daughters drive). the oldest girl sometimes likes to drive the quad or one of her friends does (we go slow).  Now the quad goes on a buddies trailer.  So i need to figure out if adding two feet will be and issue and just how to add it?

Admin

« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2009, 03:41:26 PM »
How long is the joyner buggie?

Admin

« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2009, 03:42:16 PM »
I get 2 quads on an old boat trailer I had laying around,single axle and tows like a dream loaded.Empty it will beat you to death.

I picture your redneck ass with some 3/4 plywood bolted to a boat trailer... ;D

Offline Jerry

« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2009, 04:23:06 PM »
Memory serves 9 ft for the joyner, mine build is 10 ft

Admin

« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2009, 06:19:14 PM »
8'6 would put the Joyner on sideways..

Offline Jerry

« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2009, 06:40:41 PM »
The trailer is 83.5 to the outside of  the rail. The tire patch on the joyner is 86 center. Measurement say no fit. Longer seem to be the only way.

Ozpilot

« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2009, 06:58:24 PM »
I do not mean to hijack the thread Bugpac, but an aluminum trailer is very interesting to me that means no rust ever.

So Oz is it preforming as you had hoped,do you design trailers for a living, how much weight can it carry, and what did it cost to build, are you willing to share the plans?  I have so many ???  ;D ;D

It has performed perfectly so far.  It is very much purpose built.  I have a tandem trailer that I converted from car trailer from the old racing days to take the pilot and two quads across it.  It has a full aluminium floor so its good (except the tounge weight is much higher than it should be) as a universal carrier for stuff that is too big for the box trailer.

I agree with everybody that the single axle trailer is terrible when empty.  I designed it to be towed with the intended load (either one or two buggies) which is why it has no suspension (which makes it even worse when empty).  I just wanted a very light trailer for the buggies.  I try to never tow it empty (and in theory I should never have to).

I don't have much by way of plans.  The pics I have put up show the logic behind the design.  The main strength is where the rear wheels of each buggy sit.  We "pretensioned" it a bit when welding it - we used the straps you can see and welded predetermined sections first to put a little bow in it to raise the very back slightly and it has a slight arch up and over from the axle to the tounge - the theory is that it can flex a little under load and it should end up dead flat.  I'm onnly talking small amounts - the whole thing looks straight (flat) to the naked eye at all times.

I don't design trailers for a living.   I did engineering when I left school and I still remember enough to work out loads etc but this stuff is all for fun these days.  I designed it for the draks which are each in the 300 - 400 kg range.  The whole set up is only about a ton loaded so its great to tow.  I don't know about max load.  My brother used it to take all his fencing and lighting posts to the powder coaters when he was building a full regulation size tennis court a few years back.  They were steel and the fence posts were about 6 metres with the lighting posts 7 or 8 metres so there was a lot of weight.  They also sat nearer the centre where there was never supposed to be weight.  The trailer held up OK to that (which shocked me when I found out about it!).  I don't know what it cost to build - that was one of those "just shut your eyes and do it" things - and I wasn't married at the time.

I think I drew uip some of the trailer on cad which may still be on my laptop but I doubt I have the material sizes.  I'll have a look around and see what I can find.  I'll try to find more shots of building it - that will probably be most helpful to you. 

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2009, 06:40:45 AM »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

artie on edge

« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2009, 07:49:43 AM »
Is it just me or can anyone else see Fabr whitttlin away at a piece of hardwood to make it fit into the tow bar hole.... a good fifth wheel hitch, a few tech screws and a sharp blade n Fabr hard at work... is there no limit?

( you will notice that safety is paramount so a good secure safety chain with a few mild steel 'S' hooks makes all the difference...)

BTW, how far are you from UTAH Fabr??

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2009, 07:51:16 AM »
heheheheheheheheheheheeeeeeee!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal