Author Topic: Custom Ground Carbide Tooling  (Read 4115 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Custom Ground Carbide Tooling
« on: February 06, 2012, 04:25:37 PM »
I found this place just an hour away from me in Tulsa.   www.eversharptool.com   . I must say that every once in a while a company sneaks up on me and makes me feel real good about them right from the start. WHen I walked in with a sample of the 2 splines I need cutters for I'm sure he thought " Crap! Another fool thinking a special carbide cutter will be 40 bux."  Well I assured him that was not the case and within 5 minutes I'm out the door . The man very quickly knew what I needed and set me right up .  I saw many special form cutters in the showcase ,many quite complex,quite impressive the obvious quality. These people can fill your need if you happen to have a need for a special form cutter. Mine will be here in a couple of weeks ,pics then.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:35:48 PM by masterfabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
Re: Custom Ground Carbide Tooling
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 07:14:27 PM »
I use a guy about a mile up the road. He has had a 5-Axis grinder for about a year now but has owned a grind shop for many many years. I cant believe how reasonable it actually is to have custom tooling made. Just had a custom End mill made from scratch with a 3.17 degree edge and it cost $40 with a one day turn around...

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 07:42:30 PM »
HSS?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 08:04:30 PM »
These are from  3/4X4"  carbide blanks
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 11:36:12 PM »
That particular one was, being used for light finishing in aluminum and it was actually for a friend's project. Its a 4 flute center cutting. Turned out real nice. I have all my Carbide and other tooling done by him as well as resharps. Just an FYI.... For me anyway, it does not seem to be worth resharpening Endmills 3/8" or less. Also spend the extra $$$ and have them TALIN coated. My Grinder says that its so tough it even takes his wheels a little bit to get through the coating. Tuff Stuff!

Since Im talking Endmills... I highly recomend you try out a Duramill Whisperkut Endmill. Its a vari helix TALIN coated solid carbide cutter. I have an army of these from 1/8" to 3/4".  I mostly use the 1/2" endmills. I have one pocket (T52) for roughing and another (T99) for finishing. My HAAS VF4 has a 20HP Spindle with a gearbox, I was recently doing a job cutting 4140 ann. Material over 40" long. I needed to mill a slot the long way .625 deep X .560 wide. I roughed it in 2 cuts at 4500 RPM 60 IPM. After the 10th part in the machine I was running 80% motor load with 60% servo load and the end mill was still cutting. I did change it out at this point to allow me to send it out for re sharpening. Chips were showing some good color at this point. I just cant break the damn things!!! Cutting aluminum, Im running 7500 RPM at 200 IPM .5" depth of cut. My machinist friends watched me cut 304 Stainless with them on one of their personal projects and could not believe the performance and how quiet they are as well.

BE SURE YOU HAVE SUFFICENT COOLANT!!!!

Give em a shot! Let me know what you think!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 05:58:17 AM »
I wasn't talking end mills but special form tools. Great info on the end mills !!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 12:50:02 PM »
I know... just figured I would share.

As soon as I get my 4th axis, Ill be looking into some spline cutters for a couple projects.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 01:42:50 PM »
Indexable insert spline tooling. Look into these guys TMFMLLC or Avanti Tool Co.   http://www.advent-threadmill.com/new.html
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 01:43:30 PM »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 06:57:06 AM »
I seen these guys at a Milwaukee Trade show last year. They had allot of cool stuff. Custom stuff is all they do. I didn't see these spline cutters. Thanks for sharing... Did you order one of these up? What was the cost if you don't mind me asking.

Id also share that IMO there is probably a more Conservative speed to run that large tool. 1000 + SFM seems high in that material. The cost of the tool would make me want to save that one for as long as I can...

Fabr,,, How has your VMC been working out for you. I haven't heard much since you got it up and running.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 07:39:49 AM »
I seen these guys at a Milwaukee Trade show last year. They had allot of cool stuff. Custom stuff is all they do. I didn't see these spline cutters. Thanks for sharing... Did you order one of these up? What was the cost if you don't mind me asking.

Id also share that IMO there is probably a more Conservative speed to run that large tool. 1000 + SFM seems high in that material. The cost of the tool would make me want to save that one for as long as I can...

Fabr,,, How has your VMC been working out for you. I haven't heard much since you got it up and running.
TMFMLLC is the spline division and they have a large selection of stock splines Can't hardly get hold of them so I just called Avanti. No. I  did not order one but if I was production running splines I most certainly would do so.  I think they were showing the limits of speed/feed for that tool for sure.
I hardly run the VMC as all I do is personal stuff and don't have a project going right now other than these shafts. Seems like I have to relearn it every time I fire it up! LOL!!!  Really getting a lot better at it tho. ;D ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 09:36:02 AM »

Doug
We have been hogging out and ramp cutting 4130 and 4140 now at 10.000 RPM and 486 inch's a minuet for some time.  Using a five flute .5, and .625 endmill TIALN coated holding .002 chip load and .3 depth of cut.  I'm talking a peace of steel eight inches long and five square.  Getting about 15 to 20 parts per tool.  Do you have the hi-speed look ahead on your new machine?  That along with Master Cam 10 to generate the tool paths and you can really make the steel chips fly. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Bennyhanna

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 07:05:31 AM »
are you guys talking a full width of the cutter, or just side milling at these speeds and feeds.  I'm surprised the endmills are
holding up at 600 or more surface feet. 

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 07:14:30 AM »
are you guys talking a full width of the cutter, or just side milling at these speeds and feeds.  I'm surprised the endmills are
holding up at 600 or more surface feet.

Not full width.  We are maintaining a .002 chip load with a .200 depth of cut and a .200 to .300 step over. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 04:36:25 PM »
I have not had a chance to run the 5 flutes yet but maybe I should. Im cutting full diameter. Not the sides.

I do have the look ahead and high speed machining option turned on. It is cool as it slows down for the corners. I was cutting at those IPM's  but not full diameter, .3 DOC and not in 4140.

Im still learning alot too but man it comes quick for me. All the advancments in tooling is comming and going just like computers today.

I should have been running VMC's instead of Lathes for most of my machining life. It is certianly more fun! Well for me anyway.  Have to love what you do right???

Next buy is a New HAAS ST30 Lathe with the geared head. Already working on it. Sucks that it will take 11 weeks for delivery. My HAAS rep says that the factory is up to 1300 units a month!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal