Author Topic: FALL group run 10/22-10/28 2023.  (Read 19600 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: FALL group run 10/22-10/28 2023.
« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2023, 08:36:41 AM »
Had to stop for a loose radiator cap.

https://clipchamp.com/watch/SEw625Bm3GB

I cannot get that link to work. It takes me to clip champ and let's me select play but doesn't actually play. Its a shame post image doesn't help. Video option.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2023, 08:39:36 AM »
Sucking air on pedal return or caliper retraction .  Most likely master cylinder

right before yourself and adam pulled up to ask if i wanted to go out for a run....... i had just returned with 2 pump brakes.  i told the boys they could take it out but needed to bleed the brakes and i needed to flush my eyes out  cause the front tire flung sand up that got behind my goggles. would like to see a link to the goggles you wear fabr.  the boys came walking up as i was walking to scotts rail and i thought, wth , why am i doing this ! i handed the boys the wrenches and fluid and said good luck  :m it's the front brakes with the issue too. they didn't understand why at first but i requested on the 2nd go round that they only bleed the front brakes. that way if it fades out again we will know which side and they did fade out again. don't see any debris in the bottoms. they did sit for 8 or 9 years though.

i know they sell rebuild kits but probably just replace both master cyl's to be safe.  or i should say they can next time they are back  ;) ;) ;D ;D :m
Sitting for 8-9 years especially if it was not stored in a climate controlled environment might have allowed any moisture in the aluminum master cylinder to have caused minor corrosion/pitting of the bore and that is where the air is getting into the system without showing any leaks.I'd bet a few dollars on it. Same could have occurred in the caliper bores as well. Brake fluids are hygroscopic and absorb water just like ethanol. It isn't seen but it is there and in enough concentration WILL cause issues.

In a non insulated garage. Rear calipers are not aluminum, cheap eco disc brake 4 bolt kit from empire. Front brake calipers are aluminum as well as masters. I didn't know brake fluid was like e85 on water absorption. Good to know.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2023, 08:54:02 AM »
I would purge all old brake fluid from system and fill with new then replace/rebuild master and calipers.I'd bet that is the root of the issue.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #123 on: November 02, 2023, 10:09:05 AM »
I would purge all old brake fluid from system and fill with new then replace/rebuild master and calipers.I'd bet that is the root of the issue.

Purged a full qt between both master cyl's bleeding them for the spring trip. Purged a full res again for  both the morning you were there and again that afternoon on the front one. Funny part is, after sitting from the spring trip, that new fluid was already chaulk board black In the res. Not even 6 months old, didn't see 2 hrs of run time, not real heat to it so has to be oxidation from the aluminum.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2023, 06:42:54 AM »
Last clip from LS 10 25 23 Brian N had a loose radiator cap.All was good after that.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #125 on: November 03, 2023, 11:08:14 AM »
Oh wow! You can see the steam blow out!

Its a shame no one got the boys bunny hop on video!  :m

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #126 on: November 03, 2023, 11:22:07 AM »
Carport with garage at America's oasis. Cooked breakfast in the attached garage due to wind.

https://youtube.com/shorts/vFEerp1WS8g?si=PSx5HU_l8fbT44vi

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #127 on: November 03, 2023, 12:01:50 PM »
Go pro 10 video quality is come a long ways from hero 1 and 2!!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2023, 12:35:11 PM »
Go pro 10 video quality is come a long ways from hero 1 and 2!!
True dat. I still hate GP though. Not much of any options.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 12:36:51 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2023, 05:42:03 AM »
Generalg.    That did suck for sure. Stopped by your camp in my can am phone booth to say. Stopped a couple of times but missed ya both times. So are going to make a jug and build your own new arm or is there another source?

I don't feel confident in my abilities to build new arms, this is really want needs to happen.  Scared about the rest of the arms.  The break is beyond me, not even on a weld.  About 1.5" away from a weld.   Wondering if the chrome process had anything to do with weakening the material.

Anyone up for building a new set of arms for me?    Drowning

years ago, a mechanical engineer told me not to have structural parts chrome plated. he said it negatively effected the parts. i dont remember what exactly was explained, just took him at his word and had everything alumi coated. its sort of a close 2nd. i dont blame you for questioning the rest of the arms either. the uppers take less load then the lowers. maybe make new lowers our of one wall thicker and alumi coat or powder coat black or red and leave the uppers chrome??

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #130 on: November 04, 2023, 06:37:47 AM »
Hydrogen embrittlement?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: November 04, 2023, 07:01:50 AM »
Short read that may shed some light on that.

https://sonicplatinginc.com/services/hydrogen-embrittlement/
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2023, 08:10:28 AM »
Hydrogen embrittlement?

sounds right and yourself and mike would have more insight into that then myself.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2023, 08:28:10 AM »
Short read that may shed some light on that.

https://sonicplatinginc.com/services/hydrogen-embrittlement/

great article for sure!

this one passage says alot until itself.

The active hydrogen can embrittle both the chromium deposit and the steel part being plated. When hydrogen enters steel, it can cause a loss of ductility, a loss of load carrying ability and/or microscopic cracks and failures at applied stresses below the normal design strength of the steel.

the rest of the article is important as well. especially if the chormolly they are made out of exceeds the tensile strength of 1000 MPa or higher. the baking procedure they discuss in the article will add cost to the plating and probably not something that was done my too many building. may not even have been know by many either especially if the companys rep didn't know or ask what material they were plating. all my opinnion of course.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2023, 09:37:53 AM »
I'm betting the chroming process is what led to the failure along with these cars taking a beating far beyond what most will ever see.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal