Author Topic: bumper to gooseneck  (Read 6170 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: bumper to gooseneck
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2023, 07:39:09 AM »
His answer was amusing. 

Is there a grain scale nearby that weighs in 3 sections? If so ,if it were me I'd arrange a time when convenient with the scale people  to weigh the trailer with the rear of the frame supported with jackstands on one pad and front of the tongue supported on the other . Then calculate how far back the axles would need moved to get you 10 percent on the tongue. I;m betting it would maybe only need a few inches. Can the wheel wells/fender be modded to look right . You are pretty handy after all.

Yes it was amusing,  put a smile one my face ;D

The only thing local is a cat scale. There is a coop nearby but they weren't willing to let me weigh the tru k and camper l, a while back. I did order. Weigh safe hitch so I can weigh tongue weight.  My thought was to run to the cat scale empty and then measure tongue weight. If I have a base weight then I can see what the rail pulled in vs ba ked in does. Backed In is just a pain in the ass. But.....it is my theory that if the winch is well maintained that ill be just fine :m :m

As far as wheel wells go, there are none, I ordered this one with out skirting which means no wheel wells. Wouldn't be that hard to move the axles....in the grand scheme of things.  Looks like scotts rail will have to be backed in to fit. Might need a better winch!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 07:43:01 AM by dsrace »
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2023, 10:08:10 AM »

[/quote]

Yes it was amusing,  put a smile one my face ;D

The only thing local is a cat scale. There is a coop nearby but they weren't willing to let me weigh the tru k and camper l, a while back. I did order. Weigh safe hitch so I can weigh tongue weight.  My thought was to run to the cat scale empty and then measure tongue weight. If I have a base weight then I can see what the rail pulled in vs ba ked in does. Backed In is just a pain in the ass. But.....it is my theory that if the winch is well maintained that ill be just fine :m :m

As far as wheel wells go, there are none, I ordered this one with out skirting which means no wheel wells. Wouldn't be that hard to move the axles....in the grand scheme of things.  Looks like scotts rail will have to be backed in to fit. Might need a better winch!
[/quote]I did look back to the pics and saw no fenders. I just didn't remember . IMO,I would determine however I could where the axles need relocated to and be done with it.  You could consider making it a spread axle(only move the rear axle) to better distribute the weight loaded vs unloaded. My burned to the ground trailer had the spread axles and I loved how it towed.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2023, 03:38:17 PM »
interesting you mention spread axles. i requested spread axles while i was ordering it. i pre fer spread axles and they do carry the weight better imo.......if set right. i was told by casey, the dune sport saleman, that the trailer supplier ( lippert ) discourages spread axles set up on I beam frames. that is pretty much all campers. he stated that it loads the I beam in a less then perfect way. i looked online and couldn't find anything other then stress analysis tests standard, torsion and spread axle. the torsion axles actually load the I beam the worse. the torsion axles wind up in a condition that dexter calls racking.  i trusted them and went along. i know now they are not trust worthy. 

i still like the idea of spread axles personally and may do so.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2023, 05:08:39 PM »
Your trailer is not torsions is it? I do agree that how torsions mount it would concentrate the load BUT you can easily get around that with proper flitch plating. Dexter also does not like spread or triple axle torsions. The rubber in a torsion tube catches hell if turning sharp. I ran my spread axle torsions 45 foot  fiver for several years and had to do at least one tight radius turn every time out. I didn't have any issues that I could see anyway. The same forces are seen by the spindles with sprung spreads. I don't see a problem with the weights we haul. Spreads make differing payload weight distribution not as critical for sure. With a tag trailer for sure it would be a big plus,IMO.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2023, 01:12:47 PM »
Mine are not torsion axles. They are leaf spring 7k lb axles. It ca be done for sure. No idea why the rep said it and didn't ask why , as it was apprrant they wouldn't.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2023, 03:46:17 PM »
another company is joining the market

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal