Author Topic: GibbsCAM  (Read 5498 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
GibbsCAM
« on: June 17, 2009, 08:51:36 AM »
Are there any members here using GibbsCAM? IF so ,I'd appreciate any pro/con opinions about it.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
Re: GibbsCAM
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 10:38:16 AM »
I worked at a shop that used Gibbs for milling and lathe.I used it mainly for milling ,but touched on the lathe portion.Very user friendly.We didnt do any 3d stuff with it but for general cnc stuff it was great.Easy to learn, fast to setup ,and easy to make changes to the finished program.The test/prove feature works great also.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 10:45:21 AM »
They came down Monday and did a demo. I was VERY impressed. I had a casting pattern done a while back and the programming took 20+ hours.With the GibbsCAM the program  was ready to go in 45 minutes. I was amazed! I can do all I need including basic 3D profiling  ,and also shaft splining with the basic 2.5D package. I'm thinking the price was pretty attractive also.I should get my quote today.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SPEC

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 11:50:18 AM »
Make sure to get the training package ;D
You can visit me :P
That invite is to all our members...They do they're training an hour and 15 minutes from me

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 12:50:07 PM »
I've never been to the Mall of America.Thought it would be nice to get the free training up there and go see the mall while there. I might well do so.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 10:55:18 AM »
Anyone else have Gibbs???????
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 11:37:43 AM »
Anyone else have Gibbs???????

I went with Master Cam X2.  All that I talked with that had used it for my line of work said that it was not as user friendly as they advertise.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 12:48:45 PM »
What do you do? It SEEMED very easy to use.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 01:17:24 PM »
What do you do? It SEEMED very easy to use.

2D and a small bit or 3D but when you get in IGS files with models then it gets real blue.  Running tool path's on a surface or a solid then for get it for being easy.  Importing and exporting into Gibb's sucks to.  If you want easy then get you a seat of Bob Cad 20.  About 500 bucks and you can do anything you want to do for a buggy or race car.  very user friendly.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 04:28:07 PM »
I spent about a week on Gibbs cam about 8 years ago, does that count? From what I have seen, Gibbs, Surfcam and Mastercamm are all about the same overall. They each have ares where they are better than the other.

Bobcad on the other hand had some serious drawbacks on the older versions. Not sure if they have fixed those recently.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 07:07:29 AM »
I have a patternmaker friend that threw his bobcam out the window. Literally. This shit is just so confusing. Fast I really value your opinion but we did my part from IGES files since Alibre doesn't do parasolids or at least my version doesn't. Working from parasolid is what they wanted to do ,I assume, because that's best for their system.But We used IGES and had no problem at all. As I said a part I had a pattern made for took over 20 hours to program and The rep from GibbsCAM took about 30 minutes to do the same. I was impressed but maybe I was being "tricked" or misled? What should I ask and look for to see if I was having the wool pulled over my eyes. ANYONE?? Educate me please. I'm all ears.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 08:58:04 AM »
Your not being tricked,Gibbs is the real deal.
I worked in a job shop,and we never ran into anything it wouldnt do .
The lathe portion is really easy to run,just fill in a chart basically.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 09:08:08 AM »
I'm not buying the lathe package now as I don't have a cnc lathe.  I am looking tho. I could kick my own ass as I had the opportunity to buy a very nice one from a prototype shop with very little use for very cheap recently but let it slip through my fingers cause I knew even less then than now. THe lathe module also adds a bunch of cost. Nearly double.  I can add any levels to Gibbs at any time tho.For a big fee of course.I'm looking at the basic 2.5D package.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 09:10:58 AM by Masterfabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 10:35:34 AM »
All the name brand CAM systems work or they wouldn't be in business.  Each is gonna have it's own quirks, that once you learn to deal with will not be that big of a deal.  It seems to me that the more capable a system is, the more "overhead" there is when trying to make a simple part.  However you want to get a system capable of everything that you want to do.

I use a 2.5D system, and it does everything I need very efficiently 99.8% of the time.  Of course if I had surfacing capability, I would probably surface more.  ;)

I have yet to do it, but my CAM people tell me if I ever wanted a complex surfaced part programmed, that they would give me a quote, and would program it very resonably.  The downside that I see to that is that it will be difficult to tweak, as well as the idea that I like to be certain of every toolpath before I hit the go button.  :-\

So my advise is to hear what people say then make a choice based on what you know and don't look back.  I have heard good things about Bobcad for the money.  If your going to buy it be sure and work them down.  They usually get down to around $500 before they realize I am really not going to buy it.  ;D

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 10:50:15 AM »
There is a HUGE difference in price. Gibbs is NOT cheap.Basic 2.5D quote is 7200 bux including first year maintenance and training.  I am serious though that the people I have talked to do not like bobcam.  What CAM are you using?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal