Author Topic: Another Shotgun..  (Read 34418 times)

Offline deranged

Re: Another Shotgun..
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2010, 07:11:48 AM »
yeah, mine too...
I live nowhere near a desert....

Offline deranged

« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2010, 01:45:14 PM »
Cool!  Rorty hooked me up with the updated rack extension!  Just got done programming it into the waterjet, and I will cut it out tomorrow, and sometime this week I will get the front dialed in!

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2010, 02:05:59 PM »
See how easy that was?  ;D ;D Too bad Rorty hates me................................. rofl
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline deranged

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2010, 06:47:52 AM »
Well, I shortened my tie rods, built the rack extender, and just by using the calibrated eyeball, it looks freaking good through 22"of travel....  I DO have some toe out at full droop though.  But I read somewhere that you want just a fuzz of toe under full bump??  If thats the case, I will play with the plate the rack is bolted to...How come Rorty hates you.... ???

Justin

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2010, 07:22:43 AM »
Very small changes in rack position can make HUGE differences in toe change. Keep at it till it's as perfect as you can get it.  Rorty and I don't see eye to eye on some things is all I'll say. No need to go into details or beaT a dead horse. I do believe that rorty makes the most detailed plans available  and are 99% accurate and complete. Some may disagree with some of his design thinking but it's based on many years of practical experience. There have been a few that built "according to the plans" that were unhappy about some thngs but IMO the problems were due to the buiolder not being able to follow directions and not understanding the principles of a cars suspension/steering geometries. WHen someone like rorty draws up a set of plans they are pretty much proven in CAD to work as intended but if a small change is made or a dimension is slightly off  while building it can cause major issues if the builder can't or won't build as designed.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline deranged

« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2010, 08:02:52 PM »
Well fellas, I am back...  I have traveled half way around the world to get our daughter from South Korea, and will be finishing up some work on an s-10.  Well, I got the front end straightened out.  Sometimes I am just too damn picky, so I was sweating 1/4" movment.  IT'S GOOD ENOUGH! :'(  HAAA!  I have made some progress.  I bought a Civic radiator, a shroud from Rick, bought all my steering u joints, steering wheel, quick disconect, Kirke seats, G-force harnesses.  My rear shocks are mounted.  I need to add a tube brace on the upper mount though.  Just working on some of the smaller detail parts when I can at work.  So here are some pics....

This is where I was going to mount the radiator...I just didn't care for it there..

Here is my radiator, fan , and shroud.

Brake petal mounts.

Shifter bell crank.

Cool shiny stuff

Rear shock placement.

Joints, and splined shaft.

Seats.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 08:13:46 PM by deranged »

Offline deranged

« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2010, 08:10:54 PM »
This is what I had in mind for my petal mounts..

I am mounting the radiator here....behind the rear seat.  I will have an insulated firewall, and have some small side scoops.  I know of a couple buggys with setups like this, and are working out great.

The radiator plumbing will be REALLY easy as well.  The top of the radiator is about 1-2" above the culinder head....

AND here is us in South Korea!!  My sister in law is on the right, then me, my wife, Maya, and the foster mom...WHAT A TRIP!!

more shiny stuff...

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2010, 08:17:30 PM »
Congrats on the child and all the stuff looks good! I have a bit of reservation on the pedal mount tho but I may be wrong.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2010, 08:21:17 PM »
Looking good!

Do the plans detail any of the steering shafts, joints, pedals etc?  Or are you on your own?  I like the radiator location even though I am sure some will complain about airflow there.

Congrats on the addition to the family!

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2010, 08:22:36 PM »
Congrats on the child and all the stuff looks good! I have a bit of reservation on the pedal mount tho but I may be wrong.

What is the problem?  I need to know before I show mine.......

Offline deranged

« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2010, 08:29:18 PM »
There are some details on the steering shafts, but it's kinda fuzzy...  I will mount the seats, and start with the steering wheel, and then the brakes, and work from there..  What were you thinking on the brake mounts...im open...hit me

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2010, 08:38:44 PM »
Yah I would like to hear the issues as well.  I see there is a tube running from front to rear in the mid then those two tubes would run from that tube to the side?  I am wondering if there is a steering clearance issue.  I am afraid to buy pedals until I see where the steering shaft will run.  I think that your procedure is correct Seat then steering then pedals.

That looks like the wilwood pedal setup.  I was considering the same ones.  Do they seem to be an adequate distance apart?  Lots of times in race cars there is very little footwell space so they put them close together.  I just wondered what you thought of them.

Offline deranged

« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2010, 08:50:39 PM »
Yes, there is a tube that runs front to back, and the petals I will adjust front to back, depending on where it feels most comfortable.  Once in place, the 2 tubes running through the mounts will be welded.  The petal spacing is 4.250" center to center if that helps any.  The steering is going to be tight, but I feel pretty confident that it will work.  Once the column passes under the bottom dash tube, it will jog to the center, and down to u joint #2, pass through another 3/4" heim, to the u joint on the rack.  I might have to add anither support heim joint, but we will see....

Offline deranged

« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2011, 07:45:17 AM »
Well, it has been a while, but there has been some work done!  My original idea didn't work for the brake master cylinders..  All the shifters are in, seats, steering is working, clutch is bled, harness mounts in, dash is made, fuel tank is made (not mounted yet), radiator is in, radiator overflow is in, and plumbed, RPM breather/ overflow tank is in...WOW, it's close!!  I got a little redneck on the filler tube, but I had it laying around, and it has a roll over check ball built in.  I have a battery, and the wiring sorted out, so my goal for this week is to make it run!!!

Offline deranged

« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2011, 07:58:08 AM »
AND, the bodywork has started....The rest of the aluminumn will be at the shop on monday, and as soon as I get off this stupid computer, i'm headed out to make some templates for the bodywork ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal