Author Topic: Camel's Mini-Buggy  (Read 6145 times)

Camel

Camel's Mini-Buggy
« on: March 23, 2009, 09:20:06 AM »
Well, we're off and running.  No more helping everyone else to get their buggies squared away to the detriment of my own build.  Some smart-arse at a recent WASA meeting had the temerity to take the piss out of me for being a committee member and not even having a buggy of my own!  That ignited a fuse somewhere in my sub-conscience.  Suddenly the old competitiveness flared within.  Little did that smart-arse realise what they had done.  Now my every waking hour will be spent devising ways of extracting the best from my build so that come the day, I shall use them as traction!

Here's the donor and a couple of shots showing my main hoop and baseframe alongside a standard sized (but CAMS spec) hoop and base.

I welded up a fair bit of the frame today, but tonight I'm flying to SE Asia, so it'll have to wait a month before I can start assembly.  I've got all the ancilliary stuff, including a Quaife reverse box, so it shouldn't take long.

Camel

artie on edge

Re: Camel's Mini-Buggy
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 10:18:20 AM »
Well, we're off and running. so it shouldn't take long.
Camel

Famous last words...... well? Im still waiting Mark.... get yer arse back home and get into it!

Good luck mate.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 01:43:43 PM »
It's only a bit of time now.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D BTDT many times. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) It'll ONLY be a bit more! LOL!!!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Bug

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 07:34:17 PM »
Hey Camel, LOVE the plates on the bike, and I thought I was the only one!   LOL        best of luck and with your amount of ,, your level of ,, well I don't know what exactly it is you have but it's OBVIOUS you have more of it than most of the rest of us.  Should be a spot on build.   Good Luck and travel safe.     8)

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 09:12:27 PM »
Good luck with the build!

You must be in a hurry as I don't see "Camel" engraved in the frame anywhere.  ;D

artie on edge

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 10:38:21 PM »
I mean really guys, do you think Mark (Camel)is going to scrap an immaculate Busa as a donor? I think he may be tweeking our legs a lil... hey Mark? And dont tell me you paid bugger all for it, this I already know.... by 'selling' it you could fund 2 08 Busa engines for lots of projects..mmmm?

Camel

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 05:54:23 AM »
I mean really guys, do you think Mark (Camel)is going to scrap an immaculate Busa as a donor?

Yeah I was surprised by how little it cost me to bring back to as new.  I wanted to run it on the road while building the buggy, (only 3000 kms on it! - not even run in!) and play with the OEM software.  The riding position aggravates my titanium enhanced wrist (has it really already been a year since I rolled Jet's Takeuchi?) which makes it difficult to enjoy. 

I've thought about selling it but this one's a known quantity and it is getting very hard to find written off Gen II Hayabusa's over here.

Another issue is that it's a bad influence on me.  By crikey those Gen II Busa's are fast (it gets to the 300 km/hr limiter in a very short space of time), and I'm getting more 'spirited' in my riding.  Haven't been pulled up by the wallopers yet.  Maybe I should cut my losses while I'm ahead.  At least I can use the power off-road.

Those plates?  Sorry, photoshop.  A Busa attracts enough unwanted attention as it is.  Looks better than pixelation!

And speaking of risk taking, I'm currently holed up in a hotel in Bangkok.  The staff have strongly advised me not to go out after dark.  Apparently the ladyboys have taken to mugging westerners.  The hotel staff didn't have to tell me twice!

Camel

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 06:21:10 AM »
Haha Good on ya Camel good to see ya finally made a start mate, now all that's left is just about everything!! So get inta er n get er dun...
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 06:42:45 AM »
Ok I'll try this again.. I just typed it all out then hit backspace and deleted it! ::)
Yeah Camel those little poo punchers can fight, I was watching Discovery and this girlyboy or whatever they call em, was a champ and haden't lost a fight.. So yeah best to stay well away from that!! Also mate I gave enough of my hard earned money to those pricks in fines and nearly lost my licence. ::) I'm looking forward to seeing your build! Still are ta gunna hang on to the frame aren't ya?

tone

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 07:26:01 AM »
hi camel

was wondering why you haven't put one large corner to corner bracing (star)in your main hoop

cheers

Camel

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 08:14:55 AM »

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 08:59:15 AM »
After seeing the ass of that 08 Busa I say scrap it and use the motor. :P  What were they thinking.

Besides the frame, forks and good bodywork should bring a pretty penny.  Just burn the tail......

So you are considered a "Westerner" in Bangkok?  That is interesting, Someone needs a geography lesson worse than me.

I know many people are anxious to here your thoughts on the Quaife reverse box.  Lots have talked about them, but I haven't heard of anyone running one.

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 04:13:36 AM »
I did see a little blurb somewhere I can't remember where now, but they reckon they're pretty good!

Offline Fineline

• Grunt worker
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 12:25:36 AM »
Its on the gotta be done list mate just waiting for when you were around and ready
I will be back the 10th May

Camel

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 03:17:30 AM »
So you are considered a "Westerner" in Bangkok?  That is interesting, Someone needs a geography lesson worse than me.

Okay, okay, I meant 'westerner' as in farang.  Heaps of those over here.  And yes, Thailand is more 'west' than most places in 'the west'.

As for the Quaife box, all I can say at present is that it is bloody heavy.  When I get back to 'The West' (as in Western Australia) ;) I'll do a pictorial teardown on it.  Apparently they're a variation on their own ATB diff design, not a planetary gearset as I originally thought.

Fineline, I'm back on the 18th, I take it you're way by then?

Camel

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal