Author Topic: road legal buggy  (Read 6519 times)

Offline Baloo

road legal buggy
« on: October 16, 2011, 02:02:34 PM »
hello boys

here a few pics and details on my current project

its a car based buggy,  several years ago you could buy a "kit" over here that would accept all the mechanicals from an Austin Mini, it was called a blitz 2

http://www.ncfblitz.co.uk/page9.html

as this was a "kit" car you could a few years back just take one down to local licensing authority and get it regestered for road use, things have moved on now and its harder much harder to this and very expensive, so this sort of thing on the public road is quite rare over here, l came by this one already biult of good old ebay, was a bit tatty but since it was biult and regestered back in 1996 thats not suprising,

heres one thats on eaby at the moment, not road regestered though, about $700  ??
mine was nearer $1500 with that all important ticket to use on the road
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130587740594?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

the austin mini was a funny little car that was made for 50 years over here and probally found its way over there too ?
engine was a 4 cylinder cast iron block around 1000cc and a whopping  50 horsepower  give or take,
very heavy and not much power, thats not going to work is it  ;D we need the engine out of one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280754208983?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

all aliminium construction 16v and variable valve timing that gives a near flat torque curve,  takes th ewieght out and puts the power in  ;D

so heres the first pics from when it came back from being shot blasted after l stripped it

« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 02:41:59 AM by Baloo »

Offline Baloo

Re: road legal buggy
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 02:39:57 PM »

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 02:45:30 PM by Baloo »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 02:42:22 PM »
You NEVER cease to amaze me with what pops into your head! If you ever relocate to the center of the USA I've got a couple thousand square feet of climate controlled footage for you to play in.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Baloo

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 02:52:11 AM »
 a few more pics to bring it a bit more upto date

heres the engine and box l am using, its a K series rover its fitted into many rover and mg cars as well as some lotus's
or is that lotie ? :)
it comes in many sizes 1100 cc, 1400, 1600 and 1800cc  all the same block with a bigger bore, there is also a turbo version available which has now become old enough to be cheaper enough to play with and thats posssibly where we are heading although there is an option of using the audi/vw 20v turbo engine as there is an adapter plate available to bolt it to the rover gearbox, apart from the 300 horses possible from this audi engine which is always nice  ;D one the things l like about it is the exhaust/turbo is on the other side of the head so the turbo hangs  out the back of the buggy  instead of being wedged up against the back of the seat creating a hot spot, but l will get it up and running on this 150 hp engine first and look at an upgrade later

my version of the engine/box dosent come with an LSD as standard but the turbo versioin does so l have stripped the gearbox and fitted a torsen LSD diff into it from a 220 turbo,

Offline Baloo

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 03:04:50 AM »
suspension is standard car suspension so not much travel, my hands are tied here a bit if l want to keep it road legal if l chop the frame around and alter it they will pull my ticket to use on a public road  :'(

spax coil over shocks along with mini arms although l have switched to adjustable ones

l have had all the suspension componets shot blasted  before l primed and painted them

l have taken the brake discs for a spin in the lathe and riddled them full of holes

engine and box back in the frame to sort out the location of a few other things

radiator first

Offline Baloo

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 03:27:25 AM »
the suspenision the mgf doner car has is hydro with pressurerised spheres,  nitrogen over fluid, the front and rear are normally interconnected but since l have spax coil overs on the front l cant do this and since the charge valve was in this line l need to do some modification here too

bit of chopping and welding and we are sorted

a bit on hydro gas suspension in case its not common over there
http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/suspension/hydragas__depressurisation.htm

Offline Baloo

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 03:33:50 AM »
You NEVER cease to amaze me with what pops into your head! If you ever relocate to the center of the USA I've got a couple thousand square feet of climate controlled footage for you to play in.

what town are you in ?  lets see if l can find you on google earth or a map at least

Andy

Offline Baloo

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 05:36:41 AM »
big fat silencer, l want this as quiet as a production car, one thing that upsets  neighbours is noise, no point winding them up as l will end up with no where to play

the tube work is stainless but the silencer is mild steel, might make a stainless heat shield to  cover the silencer and pretty it up a bit  eyes

Offline Baloo

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 05:45:10 AM »
l have modified the inlet and moved the throttle body from the end to the top, this is purely to free up space above the gearbox where l want the fuel tank to sit, before the greedy air cleaner sat right in the way hogging all the space,
the standard throttle body is 48mm there are also 52mm and 56mm throttle bodys available for that extra urge, natrually l have machined the new opening in the inlet at 56mm for future upgrades,
l can fabricate a nice big air cleaner to sit on top of the engine where l have unlimited space

fuel tank is the next think to make, the hieght of which is dicated by the submersable pump assembley which has a spring loaded base to ensure it fits the in  tank tightly, once this is made l can make an air cleaner that matches it in hieght to give a balance "look" to the rear of the buggy
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 05:59:26 AM by Baloo »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 05:53:55 AM »
Cool,double cool.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 06:29:50 AM »
Baloo

How do you sleep at night?  If I went to sleep I would never remember where all the stuff go's.  Your mind must be going one hundred mph all the time.   excellent work. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 06:41:24 AM »
Baloo

How do you sleep at night?  If I went to sleep I would never remember where all the stuff go's.  Your mind must be going one hundred mph all the time.   excellent work.

Sleep ?   what is this strange thing you speak of ??
and yes my mind is going at such a speed it wore all my hair out  :D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 06:42:59 AM by Baloo »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 07:48:49 AM »
Sleep ?   what is this strange thing you speak of ??
and yes my mind is going at such a speed it wore all my hair out  :D
OMG,I'm having the same troubles!!!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Baloo

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 08:12:34 AM »
OMG,I'm having the same troubles!!!!!

proves to much thinking is not good for you ;)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 09:39:55 AM »
proves to much thinking is not good for you ;)
Sucks up all your free time also!!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal