Author Topic: 4 speed convert plus hp  (Read 18168 times)

Offline big dave

Re: 4 speed convert plus hp
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2019, 02:09:07 PM »
Take them apart put them back together. repeat. The life of a biggie builder.  Sounds like it will be a hole new ride this year.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2020, 08:02:46 AM »
so i sure in the hell hope so  ;D it had better make better lap time in the trails  rofl   it def needs more bottom end and the only way to do that and keep all the mid range is a 1st gear so i will drop 2nd 3rd as well.....i think .25 rotation and raise 4th to a 120 from a 130. now once they get it apart and can tell me what the actual gears are in there i'll know more. i still have a gut feeling that my current 1st/ 2nd are a touch higher than i think and my 3rd is way lower than it needs to be. 3rd is so close to 2nd ( remember i have a 3 speed so your 3rd and 4th) that i blow though to rev limit right now! rev limit is 6200 rpm right now and since this is current head on enemy's engine i am swapping onto mine, i know it will easily run to 7500 rpm as he runs it to 8k.  another 1300 rpm capability is always nice when needed at say st a pulling a long dune  :D    i am going to make one mod to this chassis for ease or re install. i need to quit making things so tight fittting lol the really interesting part will be to see what kind of difference another 70 cfm with a higher lift cam makes especially in mid range!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 08:06:53 AM by dsrace »
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2020, 08:03:48 AM »
another big plus will be an exh manifold that doesn't leak on 3 cyl's  LMAO turbo should be a little more responsive  :m :m 

that part is really my fault, i knew it was warped but thought i could make is seal up for the season and was wrong. i know what he did when he was welding it and how he warped it. i'll put it on my dads horizontal mill and true it up.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 08:05:46 AM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2020, 08:12:41 AM »
i didn't take a pic but when i drained the lube out of the trans i saw some material on the magnetic plug. not a horrible amount but a little more than i though should be there. i used roal purple gear lube and have not changed the oil since i installed the trans. yes i know that is a no no and i know better but it happened so 3 years of run time, it came out as black as a chalk board. didn't smell burnt but did have a silver color floating in it in the bucket.  i assumed the silver color was prob aluminum from the case or other aluminum parts?? it will get new gears anyway and i have a brand new r&p for it if needed as well as a used case sitting here.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2020, 08:15:42 AM »
also where some of my oil leak was the front and rear main seal , a tiny bit, the vast majority was the trans. it was coming out the shifter bushing on the pbs shifter assembly. come to find out pbs doesn't make the mid engine shifter anymore so i may have to send that to someone and see if they can machine a new bushing for it. i did over fill the trans but damn after 3 years it should've leveled it self off.

Offline BrianN

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2020, 01:06:22 PM »
I doubt if they interchange,  but I have a mid engine  PBS shifter on a VW type1 trans, if that would  help you.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2020, 01:41:36 PM »
same thing i believe, is yours 1st gen or 2nd? how much?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2020, 10:07:30 AM »
so the trans guy got mine apart. said pinnion is starting to crack , so i'll be shipping my r&p set to him. he said it is a true 3 speed stack so thicker gear. it is indeed a 4.43 r&p, 2.23 1st, 1.67 2nd and 1.30 3rd.  so not sure whats actually available but i chose 3.11 1st, 2.35 2nd ,  1.75 3rd and 1.20 4th  thats half way between current gearing and if i had found a 4.86 r&p. i drove jacks rail and he has the same gearing as my current but with a 4.86 r&p. it seemed a tiny tad on the deep side so i calculated that diff and split it in 2. we'll see what gearing is available.  a touch deeper for off boost would be perfect in 2nd and 3rd. that 1.30 is too deep and i blow through that effortlessly. 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2020, 02:04:09 PM »
on another note, i ran my rail in to have a custom water proof cover made. it will take a couple weeks as the material alone will take a week to get. so bc tarps makes custom boat travel covers. he agreed to make a custom fit one for my rail with air pockets for use on a flat bed at 80 plus mph.  not cheap but my rugged radio to shorted from the rain isnt cheap either.  no matter what i might be able to make weekend runs to the dunes this way.  ;D     wasnt a lot of fun loading it on an icy trailer either.

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2020, 02:38:52 PM »
The car should be a lot more fun to drive with the new gear ratios.  Does the car cover seal up the bottom of the buggy?  Are you going to put an outboard motor on it?   rofl

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2020, 07:11:03 AM »
The car should be a lot more fun to drive with the new gear ratios.  Does the car cover seal up the bottom of the buggy?  Are you going to put an outboard motor on it?   rofl

it will be more enjoyable with the lower gearing but 1 st gear will be outstanding!

so he asked if i wanted the bottom enclosed as well. i said no, we settled on just wrapping it uner the bottom 6".  in the rain some mist will get in. it wont be bad though but most important it protects my electronics. i asked him to sew up a bag for the seats with a draw string.

outboard motor would be funny.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2020, 06:08:14 AM »
so settled on 3.44 ....2.36......1.71.....1.26 for final gears. surprisingly weddle must have reduced gearing options for those old trans. atleast 1zt 2nd options. i had to choose from 3.11/2.25....3.44/2.25....3.44/2.36. the 3.11 1st would've been nicer but i wanted the slightly deeper 2nd. so pulling up the ramp gate into the trailer should be easier now ;D

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2020, 06:49:36 AM »
so in final drive ratio's....went from no 1st to a 15.23 and 9.87 2nd to a 10.45. i say that of course because mine was a 3 speed that they deleted 1st gear.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2020, 07:47:27 AM »
WIth a motor that actually runs right you should be very happy now. BUT I know you won't ever be satisfied and as soon as you get a trip or 2 in you will begin the next phase of the evolution.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2020, 08:55:24 AM »
WIth a motor that actually runs right you should be very happy now. BUT I know you won't ever be satisfied and as soon as you get a trip or 2 in you will begin the next phase of the evolution.

can always be better????? LMAO :nw rofl

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal