Author Topic: Adapting motorcycle and snowmobile cables  (Read 1348 times)

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
Adapting motorcycle and snowmobile cables
« on: May 29, 2009, 03:11:20 PM »
I have seen questions about how to adapt motorcycle and snowmobile cables to mini buggy applications. Since I am doing a project requiring this,  I thought I would share my tricks with the new builders. To make a holder for drum type cable ends, I take 2 pieces of strap and weld a spacer between the 2 pieces that is the width of the cable. I then drill a hole the size of the drum end. I then cut a slot 90 degrees from the direction of pull. The other end is drilled for a hand brake. I have welded sleaves on other applications for Morse type cables. It depends on what you need. For the cable sleave holder, I start with a cheap 1/2" bolt. I cut the head off, then I drill an 1/8" hole down thru the end. I then enlarge that hole with a drill the size of the cable housing. I leave enough of the 1/8" hole to support the pull of the cable. It is then welded to a support to hold the cable in place. The pictures show the pieces,then their installed place. In this case it is a hand brake for a sand drag car. Tim
In the words of my father "Never give up too soon, you might miss a good piece."

SPEC

Re: Adapting motorcycle and snowmobile cables
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 06:03:04 PM »
That's a slick set up
almost how I do mine...I use a cable adjuster barrel too...
On the multi-carb cables I use a 1/4" cable clamp to affix the long cable from the gas pedal to the multi-carb cable

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal