Author Topic: Battery cut-off  (Read 14125 times)

artie on edge

Re: Battery cut-off
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2009, 10:42:19 PM »
;D
Keep your shirt on
 8)

Dont look but I never took it off... it wouldnt be a pretty site in any case (think Sasqquatch et al...yuk)  :o

SPEC

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2009, 10:43:19 PM »
 ;D

artie on edge

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2009, 10:43:59 PM »
Proper procedure IS to disconnect the negative cable FIRST to prevent spark.

Ok, how does this prevent spark? Any load on the circuit (current flow) will create a spark, you'll have to explain this one to me cause Im not getting it... and please make the explanation slow and use little words... its sunday afternoon here...  :-\

artie on edge

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2009, 10:48:16 PM »
The reason you put jumper cable negative on the engine is to prevent the majority of the jump current from going into the battery and absorbing much of it before it reaches the starter.

Again please explain , standard practise is to apply the leads and let the donor car run for a few minutes (this procedure allows for any current dumps that will likely occur upon connection) and then start the dead car. Then remove the remote from the battery earth lead first so that any sparks (there could well be with a large charge imbalance from the drained battery and the donor full battery) are nowhere near the madly gassing charging battery... Sorry mate but you are wrong...  8)

I should make the point that th edonor car should not be running at connection time. Todays alernators can have enourmous current potential..
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 10:56:39 PM by Artie on edge »

artie on edge

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2009, 10:50:16 PM »
Also the talk about ground and earth is irrelevant in a car.Ground is ground since the battery is it's own "earth". Sheesh.

Agreed, perhaps we should use the ground terminal?

artie on edge

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2009, 10:54:20 PM »
Anyway, our respective countries motor racing bodies have differing opinions and I promise I wont get upset about yours being wrong....  unless I have to come race over there... then we will have a problem ...  ;D ;D

artie on edge

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2009, 12:09:18 AM »
;D
Keep your shirt on
 8)

Uhm, just had a thought and it was this post that alerted me.. My original post may have come across as rude or aggressive. If it did I want to apologise for that. It certainly wasnt meant to sound that way. I was about to run out the door and in a huge hurry, perhaps I should have taken the time that I normally do when making contentious postings.

That isnt an excuse btw, just an explanation. Thanks Spec for alerting me.

Thereore, if anyone has taken any offence, I unreservedly apologise. HOWEVER, after all this time and after all these debates, you should know me better by now. Im not malicious, yeah I like a good arguement but not at the risk of losing friends, and you guys are all friends.

If anyone still has an issue, please pm me and I will make my apology a direct personal one.

SPEC

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2009, 12:13:30 AM »
I was talking about the polo shirtless babes... :o
and the dress code :o ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2009, 08:09:04 AM »
LOL!!!! Yeah I took it that way also. POLO shirt needs kept ON Artie!!!!! UNLESS you're taking a babe and THEN don't worry about the shirt. Hehehehheheheeee.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2009, 08:19:59 AM »
Again please explain , standard practise is to apply the leads and let the donor car run for a few minutes (this procedure allows for any current dumps that will likely occur upon connection) and then start the dead car. Then remove the remote from the battery earth lead first so that any sparks (there could well be with a large charge imbalance from the drained battery and the donor full battery) are nowhere near the madly gassing charging battery... Sorry mate but you are wrong...  8)

I should make the point that th edonor car should not be running at connection time. Todays alernators can have enourmous current potential..
Your standard practice is a bit different. THe practice here that is taught in automotive training is to connect the jumper leads to the battery on the donor car and the positive to the battery  and the negative to the engine block on the car being jumped.WHY you ask? Because electricity takes the path of least resistance. On the donor vehicle the current from the battery AND the alternator will be available to transmit to wherever. On the jumped car you connect the negative to the engine block OR the OEM PROVIDED ground lug that is directly connected to the engine block. This is done to allow the current to take the path of least resistance to the starter by bypassing the battery .The battery WILL absorb a good bit of the available current before it gets to the starter if the negative lead is connected directly to the battery. Connecting the lead to the block makes the current flow into the starter BEFORE it goes to the battery.SEE?
 Now to CHARGE a battery in the car the best practice is to connect both leads directly to the battery.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2009, 08:25:29 AM »

Sorry mate but YOU are wrong.If you are jumping the battery it is DISCHARGED and not wildly gassing.That occurs when CHARGING a battery and I agree totally in that . It is standard and CORRECT practice to ALWAYS make the ground circuit last to be connected and the FIRST to be disconnected to minimize the potenti to spark on connection.Don't believe me? Do a little experimenting or research BEFORE you argue this further and you will find this is not just me blabbering on about something I know nothing about. Might save a bit of embarrassment for you. ;D ;D,
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

trojan

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2009, 09:02:55 AM »
BTW it is a common misconception that current flows from positive to negative in metals eg. a wire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_current#Conventional_current

Offline Jerry

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2009, 09:47:38 AM »
With and efi motor you are saying it should be shutdown my interupting the ground (breaking the ground connection) and not interupting the power (the positive) to the fuse panel, because that could cause demage to the eletronic. Is that correct?????

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2009, 11:07:58 AM »
With and efi motor you are saying it should be shutdown my interupting the ground (breaking the ground connection) and not interupting the power (the positive) to the fuse panel, because that could cause demage to the eletronic. Is that correct?????
That's the possibility from what I understand.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

artie on edge

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2009, 03:52:29 PM »
Sorry mate but YOU are wrong.If you are jumping the battery it is DISCHARGED and not wildly gassing.That occurs when CHARGING a battery and I agree totally in that . It is standard and CORRECT practice to ALWAYS make the ground circuit last to be connected and the FIRST to be disconnected to minimize the potenti to spark on connection.Don't believe me? Do a little experimenting or research BEFORE you argue this further and you will find this is not just me blabbering on about something I know nothing about. Might save a bit of embarrassment for you. ;D ;D,

I think you will find that once started the now madly CHARGING battery will be discharging gases as Ive (tried to)  explained. I think Ill have t ogive up...OK FABR YOUR RIGHT  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal