Author Topic: Boostinjdm's Pilot  (Read 12014 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

Boostinjdm's Pilot
« on: January 04, 2009, 02:23:49 AM »
I was going to wait untill I got my hands dirty to start this, but I have been thinking about it so much lately I figured what the hell.  If I start a log, at least I will have a record of all of my questions and thoughts.

I have a bare Pilot chassis with roll bar attached as a starting point.  My original plan was to stick a polaris 400cc engine in it.  I believe this engine can be found in the scrambler and trailblazer.  It is a two smoke, which I am not too fond of.  It also needs essential parts, such as pipe, carb, and cdi to run.  The up side is that from what I can tell this thing has never been run.  I planned on building a forward only chaincase and am still undecided on axles.

Plans however can change.  My second thought is to put an engine from a 2006 kawasaki 650r in it and just use a cassette.  Since I have this bike, I have spent lots of time looking it over and I think it would be a great powerplant.  It is a very compact inline twin four stroke that is fuel injected and liquid cooled.  I don't want to tear down the bike I have since it is only a few years old and it just wouldn't be right.  I recently found one on crashed toys for very cheap and am now forced to make a quick decision.  The plus side is I am familiar with its performance and since I own the same model I could save some of the take off parts for spares.  The down side is that although I have the cash to buy the wrecked one, I really should not be spending it due to my lack of income and uncertain financial future.  So I want to know what you guys think.  Here is a link to the dyno charts, wrecked bike, and pics of my frame.

http://www.crashedtoys.com/index.php?fuseaction=car.view&id=2485747

http://www.twobros.com/Cust_Service/Dyno_Charts/Ninja650R_2006_hp&torq.pdf
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 06:09:14 AM by Boostinjdm »
This post has been edited due to content.

SPEC

Re: Boostinjdm's Pilot
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 04:54:16 AM »
Boost,
I'm glad you  got a build log started
I live  about 50 miles from the stillwater crashed toys.com Just tossing that out there for a just in case you need it shipped

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 05:08:09 AM »
I know you do, ;D. I was meaning to ask you about that.  So what do you do with lawn tractors?

SPEC

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 05:16:43 AM »
I grew up mowing commercially,
Last year I decided to go back to mowing, It's gotten to be a touph gig...Gotta compete with hi-schooler's who aren't licenced,insured ,or paying taxes...I'll start a thread so not to jack your build

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 05:45:21 AM »
Set a budget and place a bid - motivation to find more work.   If it was meant to be, then you win, else DO NOT GO OVER THE BUDGET!

BTY, I was thinking of getting the Ninja 650 as my first road bike.  I don't want a pure sports bike.  Also maybe the Suzuki 650f, any feed back on the Ninja as a touring / sports bike? 
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 06:02:53 AM »
It's a good bike.  out of the box I had positioning problems.  I'm 5' 6" 160lbs athletic build for reference.  after an hour of riding my ass would hurt because the seat kept making me to slide forward.  This caused kind of a bruised rug burn feeling that would last a day or two.  Different bars seemed to help.  Mileage wise I was getting mid 50's.  Speed, I have had it up to 120 or so indicated then my head started flopping so I slowed down.  accel is decent.  cruising about 65mph it's just getting into it's power band.  I've got about 5000 miles on it and over all I am happy.  insurance isn't bad if you got the right company.  The company I was with wanted $2500 a year for liability only :o.  I told them to cancel all my coverage and go fook themselves on the spot.  Progressive is only $84 a year for liability.  It's no busa, but it's no moped either.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
Was that frame on fire at one time. It looks like it burnt down
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 06:41:15 PM »
no fire.  previous owner stripped it down and started sanding it with scotchbrite or something and then gave up and left the frame outside.  It is a mix between the original red, flat black, grey primer, and rust.  the rust is all just on the surface and sand blasting would make it all like new again.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 08:26:13 PM »
Here's some pics I found of the engine I am considering.  What do you think?  Three major benefits of going with this over my 400cc polaris.
1. It's four stroke
2. It's fuel injected
3. It would prolly cost more for the parts to get the 400cc running and geared than the donor bike and cassette would cost me.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 10:46:33 PM »
Anybody think this would be a good/bad engine for the project?  Any idea's where to draw the line on cost of engine? Did I post this on the wrong site? :t

Admin

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 10:48:48 PM »
Anybody think this would be a good/bad engine for the project?  Any idea's where to draw the line on cost of engine? Did I post this on the wrong site? :t

a gixxer 600 can be had on ebay for around 5-600 bux, 4 cylinder... I tend to draw the line for 600cc and less to 500 and under myself, How much is the asking price?

Admin

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 10:49:49 PM »
Is it complete, all electrics and t bodies? Probably a fine choice for the pilot chassis, small and light...

Admin

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 10:51:32 PM »
Imo, scratch the cassette idea...Put a big ass sprocket on it and call it good...

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 10:54:46 PM »

Admin

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 10:56:42 PM »
bike is on crashed toys.  appears to have been layed down.  bike is a 2008 and is at $325 including buyers fee.  ends tues so I got to decide.
that's what I meant by cassette.  short shaft with cvs on both ends. sprocket and brake disk in the middleish.  simple as it gets.

325 right now.... I dont see how you could go wrong... cassette equals on chain to another shaft with a second chain down... Been there done that, waisted a lot of money, some people have had great success with it tho....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal