Author Topic: 4x4 mini buggy  (Read 11774 times)

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
4x4 mini buggy
« on: June 28, 2009, 08:27:31 PM »
I guess I have went too far to change my mind now. I have been planning this project for a long time now. The 4 wheeler is a 96 Polaris Sportsman 500. I built this frame[lousy picture] a couple years ago. It is 1 1/2" .065 erw. Right now it weighs 90 lbs. It will be light enough for the 500 to power. I am going to set up the controls so my 8 and 9 year olds can drive. I just put a/c in the garage, so I should have this done by fall. I am going to be lazy and use the 4 wheeler suspension and drive train intact. That should save a lot of time. Tim
In the words of my father "Never give up too soon, you might miss a good piece."

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
Re: 4x4 mini buggy
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 03:58:53 AM »
I was thinking of doing something similar but with a a Suzuki Jimmy or something and changing the motor to sumthin with a bit more poke.. :o ;D
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 08:25:56 AM »
Thems gonna be some happy kids!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 08:17:29 PM »
My first try at fitting frame. Crap, it is too long. I was hoping for around 75" to 80" wheelbase. The motor, transmission, and rearend is too long. I am thinking of setting the motor on top of transmission. Front of frame will have to be cut. I see why polaris turned motor and trans sideways in Razor. What do you guys think max wheelbase should be for tight trails? Do you think having motor on top of trans will make car top heavy? I am trying to stay narrow like Razor. Also, here are pictures of kids current ride. Don't let kids ride car before painting. Tim
In the words of my father "Never give up too soon, you might miss a good piece."

Islander

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 04:02:38 AM »
I think your best bet to shorten the buggy up would be to bring the front end in, and leave the motor in front of the trans.  It looks like you have a lot of frame in front of the cab that you could work with.  That also shortens your front driveshaft.

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 08:10:17 AM »
Actually I think he has shortened the front by quiet a bit ifn ya have a look at I think it's the second pic.
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 03:52:04 PM »
Sorry for the confusion guys. The first picture is the car I am working on. The second and third pictures are of the kid's current kart with atv tires. I can only shorten the front a little, or it will be too narrow for the front tires to turn. Tim

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 08:50:05 PM »
I have made a bit of progress and a dumbass mistake. I managed to get the motor mounted above the transmission. It took hours and a longer belt. The next problem was locating the rearend assembly. Again hours of lining up and measuring to get it just right. I mounted it with a bit of angle to help with ride. I worked on front end today. It was cut and bend again and again. I finally got it half mounted and then the dumbass mistake. I called it a night.  3rd and 5th picture show mistake. Tim

Rustynuts

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 09:23:16 PM »
My son and I built one out of a Sportsman 700.  Everything worked out great and is a blast to drive and will climb a tree.  Here is a link to the build and pics. Here is a video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTwHeWuDXOI&feature=channel_page

http://www.buggyfreaks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=875&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It is up for sale now as I recently got a RZR S to have a two seater.  The price is now $4600 if anybody is interested.  The bike only had 7 hours on it when I tore it down for the project...

http://buggyfreaks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1776

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 09:25:22 PM by Rustynuts »

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 07:29:31 PM »
I remember seeing your car on another "web site". It looks good. Mine is a cobbed rush job. I have fixed my mistake. I also found another one. I fixed both. I have tacked the steering in place. I found something that has me baffled. The u joint assembly I am using came from a VW Jetta. If you can see in the pictures, the u joints are out of phase. I always thought u joints had to be in phase. The shaft seems to turn ok. Tim

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 07:31:17 PM »
Screwed up on one of the pictures.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 09:15:03 PM »
While you're at it, I think you ought to make one more change.  That first joint should be closer to the dash and the middle shaft lengthened.  With the joints at such a steep angle, I'm willing to bet you will see some flex in the long shaft and the steering won't be as smooth operating as it could be.
This post has been edited due to content.

chrishallett83

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 09:15:51 PM »
Phasing of universal joints is for balancing purposes - as a flexed uni turns through a full rotation, the output speeds up and slows down relative to the input! (I was taught you should never run a universal joint at less than 0.5 degrees of flex. Dunno why...) So normally if you have two unis in a shaft, you mount them so they cancel each other out. With some types of unis that means the yokes should be in line, other types you put them 90 degrees out. There are cases of auto manufacturers having problems phasing out drivetrain vibration problems, and fixing them by deliberately making that particular models tailshaft out of phase by a certain amount. Off the top of my head I think there was a certain Landcruiser that was like that.

For low-speed purposes like steering shafts, it shouldn't matter.

EDIT: Good point Boostinjdm.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 09:17:25 PM by chrishallett83 »

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
(I was taught you should never run a universal joint at less than 0.5 degrees of flex. Dunno why...)

It's so the needle bearings roll farther.  If they sit in the same spot and rock back and forth, those spots wear quickly.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 08:46:06 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I do need the steering to be easy on this car, as my kids [8 and 9] will be driving it. I have been rushing this car to get it rolling around the shop. I have no room. I have the steering wheel located, so I can lenthen the middle shaft easily. Tim

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal