Author Topic: *the everything from scratch buggy- by voodoo*  (Read 155808 times)

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
Re: *the everything from scratch buggy- by voodoo*
« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2009, 07:18:06 PM »
i drilled out my steering arms to 1/2" and used 5/8 heims with high mis spacers.. measured for tie rods and made those. mounted rack, although it needs beefed up alot. it started with alot of bumpsteer, i finally got the rack lifted as high as it will go and the bumpsteer is so miniscule that it shouldnt make a difference.

i bought a length of 3/4 od dom tube for my steering shaft. it fits perfectly in my quick disconnect, but my 3/4 heims wont fit without a hefty treatment of emory cloth to the shaft... whats the deal here?  also, how are you guys attatching your steering u-joints? just welding everything? i would think they might need to be disassembled at some point.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 07:26:06 PM by Voodoochikin04 »
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

artie on edge

« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2009, 07:48:45 PM »
Mate looks like its coming along very nicely. Just a thought (and it may not be a good one, so feel free to ignore  :)), the heim joints and the misalignment spacers now on the steering knuckle. This is in single shear and obviously was when it was in the donor vehicle, but now with the spacers and heims added its lifted the pivot point very high. This IMO, will increase the leverage on the mount. Is the bolt a tight fit in the hole and if not can you make it so? If it can move/flex at all, with the increased leverage it likely will do so.

I Understand why you have used the components you have and again IMO you will end up with a fine ride for comparatively little dollars, but, its best to fix these things while you are in the assy stage rather than have it ruin your day out on the tracks....
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 07:53:52 PM by Artie on edge »

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2009, 09:38:43 PM »
the prior hole size was like 3/8".... i drilled it to 1/2" the bolt fits in snuggly and then tightened down, it is secure. i feel it will be fine, but then i dont have real world experience with this stuff.... :-[
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 06:56:59 AM by Voodoochikin04 »

artie on edge

« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2009, 10:06:03 PM »
Well then, suck it and see! Glad you are enjoying the build. Ive been so busy mine has hardly progressed at all the  last few months.  :-[  :-\

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2009, 10:35:49 PM »
for the columns ans u-joints I purchase 3/4" DOM tube with a 48 spline cut on the ends and use mating unis. Pricey but the best way IMO. For the use of rod ends for the column bearings I know that you can buy oversized end for this aplication. I use the tight ones myself and stay awayfrom them. You want the race to spin in the rod end, not the shaft to spin in the race bore.

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2009, 01:22:35 AM »
Well then, suck it and see! Glad you are enjoying the build. Ive been so busy mine has hardly progressed at all the  last few months.  :-[  :-\
Yeah I haven't seen diddley in the way of a photo, but I guess I wouldn't if you haven't been working on it now would I, so I guess what I'm say'n is PULL YA FINGER OUT!!!
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #126 on: May 30, 2009, 11:31:11 PM »
i made some progress. i tried using two u-joints and i just couldnt get it right. so i just used the one that attatches to the rack. it feels ok.........  :-X

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2009, 09:36:43 AM »
That's a nice shishkabob in the works ya got there.  Yup.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2009, 12:02:23 PM »
and thats supposed to imply what?????

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2009, 03:11:05 PM »
the solid straight steering column is what he is refering to.

artie on edge

« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2009, 03:45:32 PM »
The steering shaft with no second uni will come straight back to you when you hit 'that' tree and turn you into a shishkabob... thats why we use the second uni..... allows the steering colomn to collapse onto itself...

Id rework it ifn I was you but it is your machine... and your sternum and lungs... 8)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: May 31, 2009, 03:53:39 PM »
Don't worry about it.Most columns are not made to collapse in an accident and it is very unlikely that you'd ever smash a small buggy bad enough to impale yourself on it anyway if you are properly belted in. I mean how many small buggies after a crash has anyone seen crumpled up from a head on crash? I've never seen one that pushed the column back. For that matter most columns won't collapse wit 2 joints in them anyway due to them binding up. The only effective and reliable collapsible column is a double d steering shaft..
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

artie on edge

« Reply #132 on: May 31, 2009, 03:59:30 PM »
I certainly agree.. but I would hate to be standing by the graveside feeling guilty cause I didnt point it out...  8)

artie on edge

« Reply #133 on: May 31, 2009, 03:59:57 PM »
but I would STILL make it with 2 unis....

Admin

« Reply #134 on: May 31, 2009, 04:24:09 PM »
Honestly i have yet to see a "home made" buggy hit a tree, the results could be , well who knows...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal