Author Topic: Baz's Drak.  (Read 24508 times)

Offline Buggybaz

• Fabricator
Baz's Drak.
« on: March 20, 2009, 06:05:37 AM »
Thought I'd start a new thread here,DUE to recent developements! :(
After a lot of Mods and time off work to get this Drak up to scratch,I thought I was seeing the tunnel light...
Took it to Ab rd for testing last night,before Sat Monster Trucks Speedway support event that I was lookin' forward to be in with the other guys.Recent clutch work needed the holding bolt to be re-torqued and THAT I thought was IT! Everthing was goin' fine...
On the last test run (why is ALWAYS the last test run? :o) I lined the drak up with the trailer planks,and noticed it did'nt want to idle,and there was horrible knocking noise.Shut if off,checked the clutch-fine-,then did a comp check.LHS 150PSI Great!,then RHS 120PSI  :o Just lost 30PSI.I think I snagged a ring,and it's bangin' in the chamber.
They say it comes in 3's?
1st Dave's,then Bug's....now mine! WTF,must be like women that go in sync with their...you know? ::) ;D
Guys,what did it cost for the Rotax's 600's parts rebuild?
Looks like I'm next to order....Damn!...Does it ever end?

odypilots

Re: Baz's Drak.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 07:49:56 AM »
Sorry to hear that, Baz. :( The SPI pistons were $55 a piece, caged wrist pin bearings $15 each, gasket kit was $30 I think. These prices were from the guy who had the cylinder boring done, so your mileage may vary.

I look at it this way regarding my axle breaking, it could have happened in the middle of an race. Better to get it out of the way now.

And, no, it never ends. Not until you sell it, anyways. So for me, it will never end!

SPEC

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 08:01:42 AM »
TITS....
TIRES.....
TRACKS.....
THEY ALL COST YA MONEY AND HEARTBREAK 5: :m

Admin

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 08:42:17 AM »
Baz can you source spi pistons over there? i assume you should be able to sourced the other parts, If not let me know i will help out.. DO not buy oem pistons, I know how much you like to buy brand, but they are POS from what i have been told, As well as the wisecos...

Offline Buggybaz

• Fabricator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 07:17:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.
Dave,those prices look good,I doubt I could get anything here,plus would be way dearer.Rotaxs are like honest politicians here! :o
Bug I'm going to tear down this morn,I would prefer to get everything to do the top ends from US.Anything I need to know before I start?

Admin

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 07:52:43 PM »
Yes, the piston pin bearings do not have a cage, Turn the motor on its side when you pull the pin so you dont drop a needle in the lower end, throw them in the trash and put some caged bearings in it. Can you get the bore done ever there?

Admin

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 07:54:52 PM »
Oh, dont let anyone tell you there Niskal either, they are cast cylinders in that engine, See how bad the bore is, cant be to bad if it has 130lbs still.. Maybe you can just re ring it and get the rest of the season out of her...

SPEC

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 04:59:22 AM »
Ya at 130 thats could just be a cracked piston, or a weak ring...
So Bugs prolly right  ;)
Hopefully

Camel

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 08:23:16 AM »

Admin

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 08:26:29 AM »
There is a rather large group that can do niskal well over here... Bazz post up some follow up info, I assume you got it all apart this afternoon... ;D We could get you some rings and pistons shipped pronto if you need them, and they are in stock... ;D

Offline Buggybaz

• Fabricator
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 07:56:37 PM »
Extracted the ROO-TAX yesterday arvo,what a pleasant and great way to spend Sat arvo! :P
Fab'd up a new Clutch puller/pusher bolt,as the MK 1 version(last week) twisted in the clutch,jammed,and after a lot of mega twisting on the ratchet,greased up the inside,and tapping on the bolt after 2 !@#$ hrs,finally bammd off.I shoulda supported the clutch under the sheave,to take the load off the crank. I think that this might have caused the prob I have now.Turning the clutch(on the crank),after removing the plugs,it's notchy every poofteenth of a turn,this must be the knocking I heard? Crank bearing?
I have MEGA hangover today (Mate's burpday Barbie last light/morn.
Don't know if I can handle the Rootax this morn.Will try maybe later.
Camel,yes I am still spewin' I missed the Monster Trucks Bunbury.We should be watching Kelly's vids,and my HellCam vids of it today,instead of my sorry arse thread here.......Damn!!!!!
Yes I do know Hamish,he's a Mate of my Mate's,nice guy,loves a drink,what!

Sssshhh!!!...NO yelling today! ::)

Admin

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 08:13:43 PM »
Bazz, that sux ass totally, On a side note, you pack the clutch bolt hole with grease then insert the puller, It hydraulically presses it off,  Best off to find another engine, crank replacement is very expensive, and often un reliable...

Offline Buggybaz

• Fabricator
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 09:08:19 PM »
Yes I did doo the grease thing Bug,I mentioned it in my reply above.
I am hoping that the crank bearings are the prob and not the crank itself.
If not,how much are the 600's going for?
I placed the 1 piece FG Drak roof on my LT500 Pilot for safe keeping.
Looks like it would fit nicely with small mods.

Admin

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 09:12:52 PM »
Sorry, i didnt even see that, the crank bearings are pressed on, the crank has to be split in half to do so... From what i have seen and been told, very very few people can do it right, Almost everyone i see on dootalk complains engines wont run right after crank rebuild....I put a feeler out for a used engine already, Im thinking with winter fastly departing, a 600 engine could be had inexpensive right now...

Ozpilot

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 11:20:34 PM »
Baz, I tried pretty hard to get a crank built here.  A special jig has to be used in reassembly.  Very few in Aus have been successful doing SeaDoos and nobody (that I could find) has done a SkiDoo.  I ended up taking mine to The Crankshop in Vermont - they seem to be the most respected for this job (and plenty of other SkiDoo related stuff).  I have yet to assemble that engine but I am hoping it will be fine.  I think it was something like USD$500 exchange.  Have a look on their website.

I sort of agree with Bug - with winter ending in the US a motor may be the best option.  Unlucky about the exchange rate!!! (I just ordered some stuff and it hurts seeing $1000 on your account when a year ago it would have been $650)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal