Author Topic: ori struts  (Read 2027 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
ori struts
« on: October 10, 2022, 11:45:52 AM »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: ori struts
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 11:46:54 AM »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 11:49:06 AM »
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 11:57:47 AM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 11:55:52 AM »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 11:57:03 AM »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 12:05:46 PM »
I am exploring shock options. There will be a shock change this winter Long with other alterations on my rail.

So had a min to speak with the tech at ori yesterday. Very unique and interesting shock. They utilize a 2.0 piston and the body is 3.25 od at its fattest. They by pass shocks, air shocks ( n20) , 2" hydronic bump stop built into the rear, dual Schrader because this shock has dual chamber for pressure above and below the sealed piston,, when equipped with the piggy back res ( their term of integral resivior) then one has 24 setting for comp and 7 for rebound. Rebound rate is also effected by the lower n20 chamber pressure. That psi starts at 100 psi and is adjusted accordingly from there. If the ride is too soft then lower the psi by 10 psi increments. If its too stiff then you add in 10cc increments. Backwards of what I am used to with fox 2.5 and 2.0's. So when a fox air shock gets hot the valving rates fate and the shocks sag a touch. When the shocks are cold as in 1st thing a.m. they also sag until you put some heat in them. The slower the comp or rebound rates are the faster they heat up. You have one pressure zone that sets ride height and effects rebound more then one knows. I have spent many years ayi g with fox airs, re valving, trying different configurations with different wet weights and rear end designs. 

The interesting part of this shock is the lower n20 zone. So you start by dropping the psi in both sides. Leave the shock bottomed out and start at 100 psi on the bottom and then add to the top. You do not jack them up off the ground like king or fox airs. If you add to much to the lower it will actually lift the tire off the ground. That zone is pushing up vs the upper pushing down and the upper sets ride height only. This apperantly effects rebound rate as well as rate of full extension of the shock in whats adds to the " sway bar like feel/effect". That is shown in the above video and the pressure diff was made in the lower half/zone. Very unique shock and $1600 each.  Fox 2.5 coil over podium shock are as well. adding up the. Cost of a c/o with remote res, bypass shock, hydronic bump stop and a sway bar exceeds their price.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2022, 12:24:07 PM »
One thing I am not sure of is the psi that will be required to set ride height. I say this as enemy and I swapped to 2 5 because he was at the limits of the 2.0 on psi. I went 2.5 right away based on his swap, thanks for the r&d enemy  ;D .  As these shock have diff n20 chamberz i wonder how that effects required psi ranges. Need to discuss that with the rep. Dave from michigan/Wisconsin with the ecoboost 3.5 rail uses them on his rail. He has the diesel pusher with the stacker behind it and his wife brings her mustang.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2022, 12:45:41 PM »
Coilcarriers and bypasses with remote resis. Tried and proven,simple to adjust. KISS ,IMO.

I am not convinced that any shock that relies on gas pressures for ANY tuning is good for anything where the shock cycles a LOT and very fast. Slow ,OK.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2022, 12:53:59 PM »
Here is some food for thought. I have for a long time considered the use of torsion bars with bypasses. The use of vasco250 for the torsions would be capable of the needed degree of twist. Would probably necessitate the use of bump stops again since there would be no dual spring rate.

Still coil carriers and bypasses are the best thing ,IMO.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2022, 11:23:37 AM »
Coilcarriers and bypasses with remote resis. Tried and proven,simple to adjust. KISS ,IMO.

I am not convinced that any shock that relies on gas pressures for ANY tuning is good for anything where the shock cycles a LOT and very fast. Slow ,OK.

coil assist air shocks are the easiest to adjust imo. i understand your concern relying on gas pressures. i have experience with the gas shocks and am not worries how ever, i and enemy  are at our limits with these fox airs. there are pro's and con's to all designs similar to what you listed in your last post. in places where packaging plays a major role, i thinks the ori shocks would be awesome compared to standard fox air. not sure about the 2.0 piston when one is already running a 2.5 but the ori far far out performs fox.

i have never been one that believes an all in one design is great. the seperate components are always the best way to go. i believe i found a set of fox 3.0 c/o podium shocks last night. waiting on a response to buy them if its correct.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2022, 02:29:20 PM »
There is always room for differing idea.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2022, 09:54:03 AM »
There is always room for differing idea.

Yes there is and thats a good thing.  This is the reason forums such as this one exist.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2022, 11:19:17 AM »
I agree and why this thing still exists. With the coming of the sxs world the info available in forums has gotten a lot less used though.   This site costs very little to keep each year and I don't have any issue covering the cost to keep the info contained here available for the foreseeable future.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2022, 06:45:49 AM »
I agree and why this thing still exists. With the coming of the sxs world the info available in forums has gotten a lot less used though.   This site costs very little to keep each year and I don't have any issue covering the cost to keep the info contained here available for the foreseeable future.

Very appreciated !!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2022, 06:53:49 AM »
I messaged 2 sellers on ebay about the used 3.0 fox podium and the other was a 2.5 piggy back fox podium. The 2.5 should be a 12" stroke and 3.0 should be a 14". had to ask as I want to be sure these sellers are not mistaken in There ads about year and model of sxs they came off of. Have now sent two messages each!!  asked Both if they would measure the chrome shaft length. I asked that they measure the chrome shaft from the shock body down to the coil perch at the base above the shock eyelet. I have yet to get a response from either seller after 2 pm's each. How freaking  lazy have sellers gotten that they can't measure a shock!!!!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 03:46:29 PM by dsrace »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal