Author Topic: got the red rail home.  (Read 32406 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: got the red rail home.
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2022, 06:42:36 AM »
this is what the stock rear knuckle looks like for those semi trailing arms.

" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2022, 10:52:33 PM »
Very very interesting...

So interesting that I think it deserves its own thread and a plead to DS and all..
From experience I have found that image hosting sites can hold ransom and literally destroy tech forums threads if they get greedy and/ or shut down. (photophuckit comes to mind..) If we upload our visual candy to DTS, it stays with the forum...

Carry on..
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2022, 06:26:35 AM »
Yes and YES!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2022, 09:02:36 AM »
I agree and I would except my phone creates pi ture files that exceed dts limits. I haven't  completed. Deep dive but a quick scan didn't provide me with an option to resize. I will have to look closer or send everything to my email to be resized and uploaded.

When I get into the actual testing I will create a dedicated thread. On that note I would not use the stock carriers. I did not buy them. I pre fer the automotive wheel beating/hub combos with 930 cv/axle combos with the option for 934 components. That pic was off ebay to simply illustrate what stock is.

So for those that have half way paid attention and/or seen any of my 4 link, 5 link or 6 link builds in the past can guesstimate the forward rods were shorter then 3'. I still have the rods from the turbo busa build.......35" and Scott's rail are 33". I say this because 49" is substantially longer which will create less of an arc. The arc lengthens the wheel base but does not rotate the carrier. In the case of this krx arc will be less especially if I reduce from 23.75" of wheel travel to 20 to 22". I'm thinking strongly about 22" front and 20" rear.  That would reduce the arc even further possibly allow me to develop -2* camber vs the krx -1*. Not sure that actually matters on the rear end in the sand especially with paddle tire with a more round top crown. 

If you look at the arms you can see the factory sway bar links. One could set up a sway bar if one desired. My track width will be 10" plus wider then the krx so not worried about roll overs. There is another mounting spot for something. I don't actually know what it is but I'm thinking. Bolt on bracket for external bypass shocks, prob 4" shorter stroke then the c/o based on. Location.  Bolt on would keep them easy to replace. Would still add some bracing to the side
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2022, 02:47:19 PM »
just noticed the price increase.

base price on the weddle hv24 i bought was $8k. i added the internal pump with a few extra's and it was $9k shipped.  a dealer and sean at weddle warned me that there would be a 25% price increase first of the year......across the board. well i just saw the price increase and it's not 25%! it doubled in less then 1 year like cost of living has.

https://weddleindustries.com/products/HV24-TRANS/HV24-TRANS

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2022, 02:50:59 PM »
i see the mendi 2d's are up from $7k to a base price of $11k now !!!!

wonder what a new fortin or albins cost now!!

https://weddleindustries.com/products/MD2D-TRANS/MD2D-TRANS
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 02:59:44 PM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2022, 02:57:04 PM »
fabr...... this is what i was trying to explain about the improved shift assembly in the hv 24

https://weddleindustries.com/products/new-products/new-precision-weddle-hv2-shift-linkage

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2022, 04:23:56 PM »
i see the mendi 2d's are up from $7k to a base price of $11k now !!!!

wonder what a new fortin or albins cost now!!

https://weddleindustries.com/products/MD2D-TRANS/MD2D-TRANS
I'm too scared to even think about it.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2022, 04:30:30 PM »
I assume you got the hv24?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2022, 05:10:08 PM »
I assume you got the hv24?

Yes I did, ordered end of Nov '21, took about 6 months to get it. Is still sitting in the crate looking good.. Enemy looked at it once lol. Looks good and am excited to get it installed. I have to fab my own mid engine shifter for it as they don't offer one yet.

With the rising prices they will push a huge portion of duners into sxs's imo. I looked to see if they had a price for the 5 speed 2d budlight runs but couldn't find one. The seq Glenn put in laces rail is way up as well.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2022, 07:50:16 PM »
I paid 20K for my used Fortin with torque converter and a box of spare parts way back. Haven't regretted it yet. BTW,I did spend a couple hours on the dunes today. Beautiful weather.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2022, 10:45:49 AM »
I paid 20K for my used Fortin with torque converter and a box of spare parts way back. Haven't regretted it yet. BTW,I did spend a couple hours on the dunes today. Beautiful weather.

I'm a bit jealous on the dune time.

So your used fortin was close to what the new hv24 cost  :m cannot imagine what the new forties run!

I had heard Mike has an issue with his trans. I hope its a cheap fix!! I'm sure bud light knows.

I do like my turbo 4 cyl but an N/A very isn't off the table either. No matter the frame I have room Nd the trans will handle clean 5.3 like v8. Pump fuel, plenty of tq, a stock ecu with tons of aftermarket support and waddle makes an ls bell housing so I think I could use stock sized clutches. I would pre fer the 5.0 coyote motor but are they proud of thos used. Just. Thought not  decision. Kids don't he room for Scott's rail so I will be running it While.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2022, 08:11:32 AM »
The sand was powdery as I've ever seen. The powder covered the entire south face of each dune with a big ,tall pile of it at the bottom. The pile was so deep/high that my exhaust tips would dip into the pile and muffle it for a brief bit.

Your HV24 is only about 40 pounds lighter than a Fortin FRS5 like mine. The HV should be the last trans you will ever need buy.

As for engine,wellll, turbos/superchargers are miracle workers but you can't discount the reality of KISS.  Bigger,badder N/A and the much broader  torque band,and the simplicity that goes with it is hard to beat for all around dune use.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 08:17:35 AM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2022, 11:39:17 AM »
Sounds very soft and deep. Definitely don't want to slow down in it! I have been in that deep soft blow sand and was an interesting experience.  Not sure if its the same as what you just ran through or not.

Taylor is the one that got me thinking about the 5.3 v8. He said the aluminum version was only 400 lbs. My iron turbo 4 cyl with turbo is 400lbs.  Mine is an inline 4 so plenty of room for a v8. I was speaking with a person earlier today that buys the Chevy's to part them out. He has 12 -5.3 like engines currently, no aluminum versions. He thinks those are 2010 ish and up. He suggested the 4.8 v8 as I guess with some head work they can turn 9k rpm? Would need to look into that deeper to verify the other stock components can survive. So the iron 5.3 crate engine supposedly weighs 525 lbs. I say supposedly as thats what the Chevy dealer states the crate motor weighs. I could see an all aluminum saving 125 lbs hell the esslinger aluminum head for the 2.3 shaves 30 lbs off the head itself.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2022, 02:19:29 PM »
Of course the v8 is just myself tossing around an idea. I also like the idea of thecoboost 2.7. My engine hasn't run correctly since day one. If not a poor cam choi e then a poor turbo choice. It is what it is and the 5.3 v8's are a dime a dozen . On a stock ecu running pump fuel they'll last as long as they last. Same can be said for the 2.7 or 3.5 ecoboost. Not sure about the stock manifolds holding to offloading with the weight of the turbo but one could always try.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal