Author Topic: got the red rail home.  (Read 32366 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: got the red rail home.
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2022, 07:03:16 AM »
in the pic you can see the new shock shaft and misc parts to replace the parts that got lost and the bent shaft from that mis hap in the gate . got those thurs and need to rebuild that shock so i have so more room on my bench lol
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2022, 08:53:25 AM »
so with the 28" axles ( at 25* ) it now has 20" useable wheel travel with 4" gc at full bump and of course 24' gc at full dropp with 31" tall tires. 14" stroke fox coil assist air shocks. with bfg at's  on 10" wide rims, 3" back spaceing ( at full droop ) its 91" wide. that will fit on a deck over no problem. with paddles on.....it will be 5 or 6" narrower then my old blue v6 rail.

so the longer axles also fix my shock clearance issue to the frame and bfg tires. it was tight and had rubbed in one spot on the coils a couple time.

i can make a 6 link work but it comes at a cost. the wheel leans out 1 to 1.5* at full bump. thats the wrong direction but the only spot on can clear the starter. i'll have to think on that a while longer.

at 25* i believe i can still use the cv boots like budlight69 uses. easier to check bolts with those.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 10:10:34 AM by dsrace »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2022, 03:10:25 PM »
running into some clearence issues. can anyone think of any reasons this shock configuration wont work/shouldn't be done??
Works for me. Clearance is clearance.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2022, 03:28:00 PM »
That laid over shock will take a lot more spring and valving though.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2022, 10:28:52 AM »
That laid over shock will take a lot more spring and valving though.

correct but it solved clearence issues with the 23m axles.

now the 28" axles solved the clearence issues and added gc in a way i can now acheaive 20" of useable wheel travel. i can still mount the shock on the side as well and use the existing lower mounts.

i still really like the looks of the inboard shock mounting position. i did get the other shock rebuilt. it was damaged and dissasembled 8 ish years ago. parts came up missing but all were in stock amazingly enough.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2022, 11:21:00 AM »
running into some clearence issues. can anyone think of any reasons this shock configuration wont work/shouldn't be done??
Works for me. Clearance is clearance.

dan neilsen text me asking about the cv assembly write up glenn had posted way back when. do you know if that is still on dts ? if so can you post a link?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2022, 01:08:41 PM »
SFAIK every topic ever posted is here. You'll need to find it.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2022, 02:51:25 PM »
Found it as a sticky in Automotive Powered section under Motor and Drivetrain.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2022, 05:14:15 PM »
Found it as a sticky in Automotive Powered section under Motor and Drivetrain.

thanks and i sent it on to dan.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2022, 05:18:48 PM »
my brand new injectors finally showed for my truck. the rail will have to be put on paause while i fix my truck. learned a valuable lesson as to why we dont buy remanufactured injectors! didnt know and now i do, best part is that lesson only cost me $1800 lol

so i bolted the shock back on the one side to move it.  it will actually mount farther in for more tire clearence.  it was so close with the dirt tires it just about rubbed the paint off the coils. interesting part is the wider stance matches up with the front tires a lot better. i have a 1.25" tie rod in place of the left side coil over. you can really see the diff with the 5" longer axles.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2022, 06:58:08 AM »
had to move for now to start on the truck. scott did a nice job on the side panels. thehy look waaaay better in person then a pic but in the sun they really look good. once i change the front end the panel will not fit any longer.

Offline lsxsonoma

• Grunt worker
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2022, 10:05:45 AM »
Glad to see that you’re working on this brian. I think that fabr is right, Scott is looking down on ya and smiling.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2022, 02:18:06 PM »
the 2 of you could be correct or he's shaking his fist at me for cutting through his powder coat  ;D :nw

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2022, 02:35:33 PM »
He'll get over it.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal