Author Topic: what to do what to do  (Read 5371 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: what to do what to do
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2021, 10:36:04 AM »
Hands down I would do the hv24. You will never be sorry not needing to worry about the trans.  Sean @ Weddle knows his stuff.Trust his opinion.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 10:38:55 AM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2021, 12:50:39 PM »
Hands down I would do the hv24. You will never be sorry not needing to worry about the trans.  Sean @ Weddle knows his stuff.Trust his opinion.

oh i do

Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2021, 03:21:26 PM »
in the mean time my son in law and i will continue to check out sxs  ;D

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2021, 05:43:00 PM »
Sounds like a huge step up in strength compared to the 2D.  We all know you will be wanting a twin turbo LS someday.   :m  At least I do :nw 

Per Sean:

The Weddle HV-24 and HV-25 transaxle line is arguably the best lineup of H-pattern synchronized, 10" R&P transaxles on the market. These incorporate all of the features available on more modern gearbox designs, and fix many of the inherent weak links in the VW, MD, and even the S4/5 units. These have 27mm (1-1/16") wide gears to handle more power than the MD and HV-1. Mainshaft bearing is a large dual tapered roller bearing to handle thrust rather than the ball bearings in other units that are not designed to handle end thrust, which wear out quickly and fail with use. Mid-plate bearing support between 2nd and 3rd gear to eliminate shaft deflection under hard loads. And a mechanical internal oil pump and oil circulation system that pumps and distributes oil to every upper bearing and gear in the trans, which means there will never be a dry bearing or gear when accelerating hard up hills.

The Weddle HV-24 and HV-25 can handle upwards of 600 HP at the crank and 35" tall tires. The limiting factors will be the 10" R&P and smaller MD sized diff gears compared to the larger gears in the S4/S5 units. These are best suited for moderate powered V8 buggy's where anyone can drive them as the H-pattern synchronized gearbox works like any production manual trans.

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2021, 05:44:38 PM »
But a "sequential shift" would be sweet!

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2021, 06:35:56 PM »
But a "sequential shift" would be sweet!
They have their pros and cons.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2021, 08:21:39 AM »
If any of the H pattern transaxles shifted as fast and reliably as the 4 speed muncies/borg warner/liberty or whatever I'd much prefer an H pattern shifter over the sequential . SFAIK there are none.Too much slop in the entire shifting linkage from the shifter all the way to the shift forks.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2021, 02:32:31 PM »
thanks for adding that budlight. yes that is basically what sean said to me as well. now we never dicussed hp as i specifically asked what input tq ( at the crank tq) the hv24 was rated for. i was happy to hear that mid engine isnt near at risk of the dry bearing syndrom as rear engine.

so at this point in time i can honestly say a twin turbo sounds like a blast ! honestly, not something i want right now. i do mis the bottom end of my old 3800 series II! that thing just never gave up. this is why i am interested in the ecoboost twin turbo v6. bone stock engine with a gentle 91 octane pump fuel tune and there 400 rwtq thats double what the 38000 had and plenty.

i actually pre fer a n/a motor as it does simplify diff aspects but a forced induction engine covers all bases from LS to st a dunes for myself.   a twin turbo ls build would be awesome but not something i want to pay for   :m   the motors can be cheap to buy or build o depending) but the trans are very expensive and def the weak link of the sport. if they say a conservative tq input rating is 500 from a v8 then  400 to 450 from a twin turbo v6 should be well suited imo

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2021, 02:45:13 PM »
for myself.... 400 tq is plenty of dune power. for myself, the only difference between the v8 and the v6 is smaller packaging ( power exluded) 1 turbo prob weighs as much as 2 pistons and rods though.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 02:57:22 PM by dsrace »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal