Author Topic: Cheap welder  (Read 2440 times)

Offline D Walker

• Lifetime VIP
Cheap welder
« on: November 10, 2013, 06:55:22 AM »
Ok, i have a small bit of welding to do 750 miles away from home. I learned a long time ago to not take my good tools away from my shop. I will be welding some 1" and 3/4" .095 tube, or thinner, and some tabs. While  the entire length of welds will probably only be a few feet, it will take several months as i only have a few hrs a week to work on it. I was looking at the little 90amp flux core welder from Harbor Frt. Reviews are mixed from great to crap. I know it's not a great welder, but for $120.00 i could leave it when done without a second thought.
 http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-68887-8494.html
Any thoughts?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Cheap welder
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 07:50:12 AM »
If you will never get over 1/2 of the rated amps and also never go over 1/2 of the rated duty cycle you MAY get away with it. The tradeoff will be a much more unstable arc compared to much better units that may or may not be a huge issue to your project.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 12:44:33 PM »
I had a cheap ass flux welder from one of the traveling tool places. Real hard to get consistent welds. I'd grab a Hobart 125 for about 300 or the 140 for 450$. The 140 comes with reg for gas.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 12:46:49 PM »
I gotta agree.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline D Walker

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 01:34:24 PM »
I hear ya... Guess i will bump up to a Lincoln or Hobart. Hell, i'm going to have to buy a bender too.
 1:

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 02:12:27 PM »
I tell you what I have a 220v hobart handler 175 30% duty cycle ( 1/8 wall is setting 2 ) and it's 12 years old now. I have always liked it  but ..... I have now used the miller matic 110 volt that enemy has and I have at the shop in town too and really really like that welder. if you have .125" wall or thinner it will keep up no problem but not tried on thicker on long runs so I don't know but I see no reason from what I have experienced why you could weld an entire frame up with one.  this is the one but didn't realize it only has a 20% duty cycle!    http://www.weldersupply.com/productdetails.asp?pID=223
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 02:20:50 PM by Dsrace »
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 08:51:20 PM »
Dwight

I have one of the little Northern Hyd cracker box welders stuffed under a bench.  All you need to get is the gas kit and small bottle  and it will do just fine for you project.  Also am not using my tube bender.  It will all be ready to go when you come my way for them, well dam I forgot what your coming  my way for.  8) O well you know. Later Glenn

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 05:47:50 PM »
I don't have a ton of welding experience, but I picked up my Hobart Handler 140 because the price was right and I didn't have 220v. I've had it for four years now and I love this welder. It has never let me down and the welds are very consistent. The only thing I did was put a heavy duty ground clamp on it. I'd definitely recommend it and the shipping was free from Northern Tool. Now I just need to figure out how to pay for a plasma cutter!
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal