Author Topic: Benders  (Read 4714 times)

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
Benders
« on: May 05, 2013, 09:17:13 PM »
Hello,

Well my bender tried to kill me today.  I am thinking I need to get an other one.  Can you recommend a cheaper powered (pneumatic) bender?  The last one left allot to desired so I figured I would ask on here for recommendations they are to expendive to buy try and though away.

thanks,

Offline Wyattboche

Re: Benders
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 02:21:51 PM »

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 12:27:21 PM »
Well after wasting about 6 weeks with Pro Tools trying to get the HMP bender to work I took your advice and upgraded to the JD2 Pro32.  I really like this bender.  I made a stand for it and added a HF Air over Pneumatic works great.  I built the stand so the bender will mount vertically and horizontally.  It has the degree ring but I am using the digital levels to measure the bend.  I am still learning how to make a accurate bend but at least it works.

If anyone wants Pro Tool 1" Pipe, 1.25" Tube or 1.75" Tube I will be selling them shortly.

Thanks for the help.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 04:49:07 PM »
If I didn't already have those dies I'd but them. What was the problem with the pt bender? I love mine but if were to replace it I'd just buy the bigger PT model. The jd's are great benders BTW.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 09:56:14 PM »
Glad yours works.

On the small die it would put the bender in such a bind that the bender would fail.  I kept talking to ProTools and over the month they would not help with it.  They wanted more for parts than it cost me to buy the JD2.  It is pretty easy to see what the problem is.  The bender counts on the distance from the center line to move the force out to the end of the die thus creating a bending moment.  On the short dies the moment is not created thus putting the force of the jack directly through the top pin.  It would take almost all the force of the 20 ton jack to start the bend (1.25 DOM 0.120) and once it started to bend it went real easy.  It finally failed and the bottom two bolts went flying off.  Thank God my son wasn't standing on that side of the bender like normal when it broke.

Oh ya, I have one slightly used ProTools HMP Bender only did 12 bends with it (I made bumpers for my RZR) and a few calibration bends for Bend Tech Pro.  Real cheap.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 11:08:34 PM »
Well,there's the problem! I have the 105. Big difference. Basically the same as a jd2
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 07:47:56 AM »
There was a slick thread over on MBN, (I think) where a guy used a jack from one of those truck bed campers.  The one like go in and out of bed, big heavy full load thing.  Used a cordless drill to turn in and out.  12v motor was bad.  But slick as hell.  HF air jacks work great just needs a LOT of air.

Nice upgrade! 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

LiveWire

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 08:37:20 AM »
I used to have a bender with a trailer jack and a drill. It was not cordless though. The handle was cut off the drill and mounted to a plate so it could be held in your hand.

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 02:18:56 PM »
So I am thinking of building and indexer for my bender.  All of the cheaper benders seem to have the follower pinned where it moves during the bend.  All of the benders I have had do anyway.  What I am getting at is if one puts a peace of tubing in the bender perfectly level and start the bend the tube moves a fair amount from level before the bend begins.  It would be nice to hold the follower so that it will keep the tube level during the bend.  Is there a reason the benders aren't made this way?  It would help with the measurement of the angle and of coarse allow the adding of a indexer.

Anyone seem any build threads for benders and indexers?  Only one I can find is Yoshi's on MBN and GDN.

Thanks

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 03:59:24 PM »
I have and use and like very much the Tube Bandit digital indexer. Unfortunately they are out of business. I will just die if/when this thing dies. Here's a pic of the components. Copy it and sell it. It is the cats arse!!!! Google it up for reviews,I have no idea why they went out of business.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 02:22:35 PM »
Probably the next best thing to the one Fabr has.

http://www.swagoffroad.com/U-Turn-Tube-Bender-Digital-Read-Out_p_70.html

Bandit is on the OFN , he said too much stress on him or his family, something similar to that. He's a cancer survivor so may have something to do with it.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 02:30:02 PM »
That looks like a very good alternative to the Tubebandit. Quite a bit less cost also.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 11:32:38 PM »
Maybe I should have said rotary Indexer.  Something more like this.
http://www.jd2.com/p-93-rotary-indexer-for-m50-series-benders.aspx
If I built a bender and make the follower stay in place a index table like this would be easy to build along with it and I think help a lot with the precision of what I can build.

Offline WelderPat

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 03:46:53 AM »
 You also need a twenty four inch angle finder and a hip bender .
There is always free cheese in a mouse trap.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 06:04:23 AM »
Well,I see what you mean now CFF . Personally I don't bend enough tubes to need an indexer as I don't do volume,repeat bending. Now ,if I were into production mode.............................sure.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal