Author Topic: Barracuda Suspension  (Read 3037 times)

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
Barracuda Suspension
« on: January 25, 2012, 12:15:40 PM »
I'm finally ready for the shocks for my barracuda and I need some suggestions.

1. I know the 8.5" Fox 2.0 is popular for the front, but what is everyone using on the rear? 14.5" or longer?

2. What are the pros and cons of nitrogen shocks? For those using them on the cuda would you rather have coil over?

3. Coil springs- where to buy and which ones to get?

I personally wanted to use nitrogen to save money, but I've read they heat up a lot in offroad high speed applications and can change the ride height and handling characteristics of your car. If I get coil over I may have to save some more cash for the rear and get the fronts now. Thanks for any information. Looking to make a purchase in the next day or two.
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

Offline Lance-W

Re: Barracuda Suspension
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 12:37:07 PM »
Shocks: 

8.5 in the front
12.0 in the rear

We currently run the "emulsion" coilover shocks  (non-remote reservoir nitrogen shocks).  The next one will have the remote reservoir coil over shocks.  It's worth the extra money.  This is not the place to be cheap.  Other than the engine you have chosen this is the place that's gonna make you climb out of the buggy and make you say "Wow did you see what thing went over without even flinching, this thing is insane!"  You're building a Barracuda for the suspension design.  That is undeniable the most valuable part of the design.  Don't cheap out on the shocks.  I realize they're one of the two most expensive parts on the buggy (the engine being the other) but they're worth every penny.

Springs:

8"    coil springs 200 lb/in    You need 4 of these 2 front/2 rear
10"   coil springs 250 lb/in    You need 2 of these for the front
16"   coil springs 250 lb/in    You need 2 of these for the rear

I bought the shocks off Ebay and the springs I'm running are Kings from Poly Performance.  I shopped for price after deciding one the part numbers I needed.  The Best place pricewise may be different now.

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 12:39:07 PM »
The Ebay vendor was "Dirt Cheap Shocks"

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 01:09:08 PM »
Awesome Lance. Thanks for the reply!
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 04:31:15 PM »
Poly performance still seems to be the cheapest with Free shipping on the springs. Going to place the order for the front springs in a bit. Should be able to get the 8.5" Fox Coil Overs for around $400 shipped on eBay. Probably hit you up for some setup info when I get ready to mount them and set them up.

BTW, did you fab your own steering tie rods or buy them?

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 06:16:06 PM »
The Ebay vendor was "Dirt Cheap Shocks"

Got to throw out a word of warning out about this vendor..
I purchased my front 2.0s from this store. I never could keep them at pressure. No biggy, prob just throw a rebuild kit in when the time comes to re-valve them. So a year down the road when DS and I tore into them to valve and rebuild, what we poured out of them nowhere near resembled any substance DS or myself have ever encountered on this planet. I very fine metallic silver paint toner mixed with an excretion of gorilla spunk that smelled like fish ass...Or at least close to something like that anyway..

Well, nothing can be done about that now so.... Rebuild is in and correct oil flushed and filled.... STILL will not keep pressure only this time its much worse! bs1 I got a fast one pulled on me I'm thinking. But it was quite a while back and it is what it is, so just warning..
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 06:54:47 AM »
Got to throw out a word of warning out about this vendor..
I purchased my front 2.0s from this store. I never could keep them at pressure. No biggy, prob just throw a rebuild kit in when the time comes to re-valve them. So a year down the road when DS and I tore into them to valve and rebuild, what we poured out of them nowhere near resembled any substance DS or myself have ever encountered on this planet. I very fine metallic silver paint toner mixed with an excretion of gorilla spunk that smelled like fish ass...Or at least close to something like that anyway..

Well, nothing can be done about that now so.... Rebuild is in and correct oil flushed and filled.... STILL will not keep pressure only this time its much worse! bs1 I got a fast one pulled on me I'm thinking. But it was quite a while back and it is what it is, so just warning..

Enemy,

I had the opposite experience.  They were out of stock on the ones I ordered so they upgraded me to the black and chrome ones at no additional cost.  So far they work fine.  Although I haven't taken them apart as there's been no reason.
Not saying that you didn't get screwed it's just weird the difference between the two.

Lance

Komelika,

You're on your own bud,  take your chances  ;D

Lance

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 06:58:23 AM »
BTW, did you fab your own steering tie rods or buy them?

I fabbed my own but I'm not using the Edge rack.  I'm using the cheapo chinese rack.  If I remember correctly from your build thread you bought an Edge rack?  I realize support from Edge isn't the best.   Maybe you could call Doug and get some insight as to what he suggests as to making your own tie rods since he has worked with the Edge racks in the past?

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 10:28:32 AM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I took your advice Lance and went with the coil over (non-reservoir). It cost more, but the few hundred spent isn't going to be the difference in this thing getting done in a month or a year, but it will be the difference in the 100mph experience. I got the front on the way and will start saving for the rear now. Can't wait till this thing is a roller!

I ordered from dirt cheap. He has 1 negative in 12 months and it wasn't a quality issue so I feel comfortable. I can see why you would be pissed enemy. Sucks it wasn't resolved.

I did order the edge rack Lance. There is a local race fab shop that builds circle cars that the 4x4 guys get parts through. I'll call them and see if they stock what I need. Not sure though since the threads are different from the wheel to the rack. Doug seems to be off the grid and I don't think I have his number. I'll dig and see if I can come up with it.

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 09:33:48 AM »
Man I have been off the grind... Shop is super busy and I have alot going on... Anyway, I just popped in and seen this thread and Im glad you went the way you did on the shocks. As far as the rack goes I make my own but am currently out of stock. Tierods and such I do have on the shelf... E-mail me Dheim4@new.rr.com for a faster responce. Sorry about the other delays and my lack of presence. Just had my nose to the grind stone working till 11 at night sometimes...

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 08:22:25 AM »
No problem Doug. Glad your shop is doing well!  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal