Author Topic: fox 2.0 airs question  (Read 3358 times)

455bird

fox 2.0 airs question
« on: July 07, 2009, 01:46:37 AM »
Do you have to run limit straps with fox 2.0 air shocks? I run the straps last year to take some of the travel out and drop the degree I had on my CV but when I rebuilt the back of my car this winter I made it where the shocks drop all way down and still have 18* on the CV. My question is this going to hurt the shocks when they bottomed all the way out

Rick S.

Re: fox 2.0 airs question
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 04:39:48 AM »
Probably not a problem. Fox doesn't recommend it, but plenty of us are doing it, and I've never heard of anyone having a problem.

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 07:43:05 AM »
I would run the limit straps. If you have outboard brakes you want them. If you have a lot of un-sprung mass (tire, wheel, brake, trailing arm etc) when your suspension unloads to you are beating your shock. The straps won't hurt anything but could save your shocks. So why risk your $200+ a shot shocks.

I run the straps. But I have outboard brakes on four corners.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 07:59:08 AM »
Probably not a problem. Fox doesn't recommend it, but plenty of us are doing it, and I've never heard of anyone having a problem.
actually, FOX says it's fine......

I don't run limit straps...........

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 08:43:15 AM »
I'm with Dunebound on this one.  I have been into my Fox shocks and there is not much that holds the gut's in them.  One small spring ring that sets in a grove. With the weight of the brakes and the force of the springs unloading downward that is a lot of mass slamming againest that small circle clip.   I have talked to Mark at Mark's sand trans and he has told me that Fox say that if you put on limit straps just be carfull not to limit the travel to more them one half inch of full travel.  Ifen you have a 12 inch travel shock then limit it to 11.5 inch of travel.  Any more then that and the shock can not perform correctly. That's my story and im sticking to it.   :)

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Rick S.

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 09:07:30 AM »
I agree that if you have alot of unsprung weight like outboard brakes you probably should use them. If you don't have the wieight problem then I think it's a waste of money.
Can anyone show us a damaged Fox 2.0 air from topping them out?

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 10:17:08 AM »
I think pics of the failed shock from over extension could be hard to find. If you are running single shocks and loose the bottom end it is going to bury in and take out your arms the shock and more. Why not error to the safe side? You already have the straps. Those shock ends are just threaded alm. 
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 02:14:08 PM »
Do the airs have an aluminum spacer on the shaft internally? If so replace it with a poluurethane one and problem is solved.No straps and no hammer effect to POSSIBLY cause a circlip failure. Those things are very strong anyway.n
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 04:02:04 PM »
The ring and the groove it sits in is very small. I was surprised the first time I puled a shock apart, The more I thought of it though the more I came to the comclusion that it will take a $hit load of force to push past it. That was also when I thought the shock bodies were Aluminum. Their not. many think so. The Fox bodies are infact steel. Dont believe me then take a magnet to them.

A limit strap IMO is cheap insurance but at the same time I dont run them either.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 04:14:40 PM »
Yes, consider that you would have to shear the clip 360 degrees to have it fail . So long as it is seated in the groove properly and fully there's no way that's failing. Same thing really goes for the threads in the shaft end. Now the real weak spot ,if it is in fact weak, is the eye that the rod end is in.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 04:16:09 PM »
AND the threaded portion that the piston is on also that is ;D.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

artie on edge

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 05:55:59 PM »
I agree that if you have alot of unsprung weight like outboard brakes you probably should use them. If you don't have the wieight problem then I think it's a waste of money.
Can anyone show us a damaged Fox 2.0 air from topping them out?

A guy posted on the edge site recently with continuing crushed springs which he says was from topping out. He also said a lot of other things which was when I started to ignore him... ill try and find the post and steal a pic...

Found it... hard to 'prove' what the cause was though... like to see the complete shoch disassembled (witness marks etc)...

« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 06:03:11 PM by Artie on edge »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 07:25:10 PM »
Do the airs use that spring to dampen the jolt of max extension?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Rick S.

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 08:39:42 PM »
I was told by Fox that this is what the spring is for. They also admit that it doesn't really offer much protection.  I researched using a heavier spring, only to find out that what 's in there now is about a heavy as you're going to get. Fox also told me that any internal stop spacers need to be steel. Anything less will be destroyed. This is what they told me.     

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 09:01:15 PM »
i cannot see how a PU spacer of fairly firm shore hardness could be harmed in any way used in place of that cheapo spring.IMO they're just too fricken greedy to put something better in place of that piddly spring..
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal