Author Topic: Rick S. Metamora, MI  (Read 2597 times)

Rick S.

Rick S. Metamora, MI
« on: September 21, 2008, 07:02:02 PM »
Been into designing and building things since i was a kid. Working in machine tool design since 1979. First 17 years, Automotive assembly machines, automated welders, etc. The last 12 years in concept, design, and build of Ergonomic lift assists for Knight Industries.   
Caught the buggy bug a few years back with my 954 Edge Piranha build. I redesigned the rear to accept cv's, and designed another version that Doug Heim ran in his RC51. I sold my Piranha this summer. :(  Since it left I've been making a lot of progress on another modified Piranha.  I actually started on this a couple of years ago, but then sold off the complete rear end.
This one's RC51 powered with Fox air shocks all around. Still has the single a arm front, but I've redesigned the arms and moved the shocks outboard. Learned a lot on the first build and wanted to make this last attempt at improving the single a arm front.  My next build will be entirely my own design. I have a new rear end design for it, but it can wait until I finish and get rid of this one. I'll take some pics. and start a build log soon.

borris

Re: Rick S. Metamora, MI
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 07:07:20 PM »
Welcome to the site. I know from another site that you do some nice work with outta the box thinking that is very interesting some of it unique. Please feel free to post up all you want! 8)

Admin

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 08:10:03 PM »
You will be an asset, Welcome, Now if we can just get doug to break down and register.....

VLADD

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 05:11:50 AM »
Welcom RickS.
I like your work.
We have room for lots of pictures in the build and show section ;)

wildcatkit52

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 12:02:30 PM »
Caught the buggy bug a few years back with my 954 Edge Piranha build. I redesigned the rear to accept cv's, and designed another version that Doug Heim ran in his RC51. I sold my Piranha this summer. :( 

Welcome to the site!

I have been here only a little... I haven't been checking in on the latest arrivals much lately. For some reason this site was having issues coming up on my work computer...

The 954 is being stored until I get home in December. I plan on getting it out to LS in the spring.

I am very interested in seeing the outboard shock front end.

I'd also like to hear how the FOX shocks are compared to what I have...

Looking forward to the build logs!

Kit

Admin

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 03:48:27 PM »
do you have a language filter on your work computer, or like net nanny or some crap?

wildcatkit52

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 04:18:44 PM »
In a manner of speaking... I am in Iraq and on the GOV'T computer they filter out as much as they can find... If pictures on a forum are linked from a page that is blocked, I can't see them either. Luckily, forums of most types not "typical" are good. It wasn't until today that I tried this one again on the work computer. Now it works.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 06:16:05 PM by wildcatkit52 »

Rick S.

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 11:00:19 PM »
Hey Kit,
I'll let you know how the outboard shocks work out.
It's still just single a arm, 5 1/2" stroke vs. 11" wheel travel, not ideal, but should be a big improvement.
The Edge Piranha to plans is only 3 1/8" vs. 11" travel. The only way to stiffen them up is to use real heavy springs. The bad ratio also puts a huge strain on the arms. Thats why I broke a set and rebuilt yours using round tubing.
Doug Heim and I improved the stroke/travel ratio on his RC51 Piranha. My original plan was to build the same as Doug, but his build sort of became the guinea pig. That design used the 5 1/2" shock, short stroked using limit straps. My new design will use the full stroke. I have it designed with a tiny bit of positive camber a full droop, so I'm maybe looking at a couple degrees negative a ride height. I have a provision for limit straps, but I don't think I'll be using them. We'll see how it goes.
Did you ever get your new gas cap?

wildcatkit52

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 11:04:37 PM »
 :-[  Nope. I guess I will have a matching set made when I get home. Never heard from the place you originally got them from...

Rick S.

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 07:09:00 AM »
I'll see if I can get a phone number.
I may need one as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal