Author Topic: Finally!! My build  (Read 3482 times)

Stomper

Finally!! My build
« on: September 12, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
Well it has been literaly years of idea research and parts collecting (and changing), but I am fially ready to get this build off the ground. My little girl is in grade 1 now and she is going to school for full days instead of half days so there should be not many interuptions, I hope!! I work a 4 days on and 4 days off schedule so when the wife is at work and the kids at school I SHOULD be able to get some work done.
I have been following builds and have seen some awsome builds and recieved some great advice from the members, so I hope it turns out ok.
About my build:
I am still unsure if I want to go with a 2 seater or a single seater. I have the cage drawn up in both. I will be using a 1995 XCR 600 sled engine and I am worried it will not have enough power for a two seater. I am 255ish lbs and with another person in the buggy I am afraid it will not have the power I want. I can make that decision later. I have other things that I need to work on before that.
Some of you may know that I have designed (but not tested) a complete unit that incorporates the engine, chain care(for revers), rear center carrier, a arms and wheels. It will bolt into the rear of the buggy as a complete unit. I have designed it with the help of some of you on these sites. BTW thanks for the input, you will know who you are when you see the unit. This unit will be able to be installed into my single seat or my two seat buggy so that is why it is not criticle right now as to the decission of the buggy. I have to complete the finishing touches on the craddle design first as I may need to stretch or shrink my frame a couple inches for a better fit. This will more than likely be a slow build off the start especialy untill the weather turns to winter so please be patient with me.. I am open to constructive criticizm so please feel free to comment on any portion of the build as I value your opinions and knowledge.
Here is the link of the design of the engine craddle unit. May help answer some of the questions already asked.
http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/driveline/14858-single-unit-sled-engine.html

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 01:38:43 PM by Stomper »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Finally!! My build
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 06:17:40 PM »
The effers there won't let me see pics. They have personal problems  with me. ;) ;) LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO  Try posting them here.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Spec

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 07:05:51 PM »
sorry Stomper,
typical BULLSHIT RESPONSES ON MANY BABY'S NETWORK
Fabr, same motor as my 750 only left alone on the port work..
Stomper please post pix over here ...I don't have time to download and post

Stomper

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 09:34:53 PM »
No problem. Sorry guys. Here are the pictures. The engine set up is not done yet, It needs some gussets and stiffeners. Some of you might have seen this before I think that I posted it on here before. I just thought that I should include this in my build thread. Here is the link from earlier with pictures and the topics which were earlier discussed.
http://www.dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=3920.0

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 09:42:25 PM by Stomper »

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 05:48:52 AM »
Forethought instead of afterthought, great idea.  Looks like you'd be able to swap most any cvt motor on there. 

Fabr, you need to borrow my login info.  rofl  The one that should be banned are the one doing stupid unsafe builds, (like  ;D me).  By not calling them out its like your encouranging that crap.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 05:56:55 AM »
I'm not interested in that place. Don't miss a thing about it.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Stomper

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 10:06:14 PM »
Forethought instead of afterthought, great idea.  Looks like you'd be able to swap most any cvt motor on there. 

Fabr, you need to borrow my login info.  rofl  The one that should be banned are the one doing stupid unsafe builds, (like  ;D me).  By not calling them out its like your encouranging that crap.

yes, I might have to change the engine mount plate or at least make an adapter plater to fit the new engine. I have thought about an apex engine if the xcr engine was too small but thats a completely different mounting system. It probably wouldnt work. but there are plenty of others to choose from as long as the chain case would hold up.

I am no expert buggy builder by no means, hell I'm not even an experienced one, but I do have to agree with you there are some scary unsafe looking buggys being built out there :o. Hopefully mine won't be one of them rofl

Stomper

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 04:58:39 PM »
Well I got a bit more done today. Just some of the small stuff. Finished the rear uprights bearing carriers and drew up the plate work for them. Also made the rear a arm inner pivot tubes, crush tubes and bushings. Not much but it's a step forward.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 05:59:54 PM »
All the small stuff adds up to huge amount of time by the time the build is through. Nice work.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 06:10:15 PM »
Nice work Stomper.  Looking good. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Stomper

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 08:23:27 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm not real happy with the wheel bearing for the jetta axles. I installed them for a test fit and the internal race came out of the bearing when I dismanteled everthing. I thought I did something wrong but after some research I guess thats what happens.

Stomper

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 09:38:24 PM »
For my rear upright pivot point (where the rear a arms attaches to the rear uprights) Is a 2.25" wide attachment point sufficient. It will be an equal length a arm design. They will be 16.375" from inner pivot point to outer pivot point. Crush sleeve and delrin bushings, both inner and outer pivot points. I hope this makes scence.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 07:00:18 AM by Stomper »

Stomper

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 12:34:45 PM »
HOLY CRAP!!!
I have been having some frustrating times trying to work on this buggy. First off work has been crazy, I have been working prety much nonstop for the past few weeks. I have also been busy drawing up plate work for my front uprights, rear uprights and the break pedal and box assembelys. It might not sound like much to some of you but when you are as crappy on the computer as I am  it"s a lot of work.
Well this is the frustrating part. I finaly had everything drawn up and my computer crashed.  :o :oYep! You guessed it! The stuff that I had just drawn up was gone :'(. The computer was still on warrenty, but what a fight with the company to get it fixed. Finaly got it fixed and the parts all drawn up again. As I was drawing I coppied each peice to my memory stick. What a HUGE pain in the A$$. At least I learned something out of the whole thing and that was to save parts as you make them. It was a very frustrating learning experience that I hope I will never have to do again.
Now I need to figure out what other plate work I need and get the file sent out to the laser cutter and get on with this build.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 03:56:59 PM »
what CAD are you using?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Stomper

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 04:37:36 PM »
Bend-Tech SM. It's no solidworks (I'm guessing, I never seen SW) but it is very affordable and it works great for the home hobbyist. I realy like it. And the customer sevice is outstanding.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal