Author Topic: NEXT!!!!  (Read 23454 times)

Offline deranged

Re: NEXT!!!!
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2011, 08:09:07 AM »
Just read the whole thread...nice swap!

Justin
I live nowhere near a desert....

DaveM

« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2011, 05:16:19 AM »
Made it to the end of the driveway and back a few times under it's own power Saturday. No unforseen issues. Still a few things just tacked together so I took it easy. The gearing off the line seems good, clutch pedal feels good, shifter works, it turns, it stops, it goes forward and reverse, next level of happiness achieved.

250r05

« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2011, 06:08:59 AM »
good to here. are you gonna touch up the desert camo paint? or go with somthing different.

DaveM

« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2011, 02:09:04 PM »
The camo paint scheme will remain. 

250r05

« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2011, 08:27:15 PM »
updates???

DaveM

« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2011, 05:22:45 AM »
It's all together. A few cosmetics to finish up, and final front end alignment at ride height needs to be done.  Should be able to do a shakedown run this week or Sunday.

DaveM

« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2011, 05:47:13 AM »

2 hour shakedown is in the books. Everything went well with only a couple of minor concerns.  I have to find the sweet spot for front shock air pressure's. It was a little stiff with what I tried. And I think I better put a bigger rad on it. It did'nt get hot, hot, but it was up to 210* when pushing it.

The gearing is bang on. I could climb the steeper hills, no problem accelerating going up them. Some even in second gear. In the second vid, the point where we stopped for the bike is a pretty steep uphill, no issue starting off on it. I'm happy. The tell tale on the Vapor tach shows 59.9mph and 6200rpm, right where it should have been.

The secondary chain is really movin'. Speed wise. I checked for temperature a few times, and the only time there was any real temperature in it was after a 50 second to one minute run at 50+ mph. I could hold my fingers on the secondary for 5 seconds or so, hot but not to bad, not smoking. No heat in the primary chain. Little bit more slack at the end of the day but that is to be expected.

Ended the day driving it into the trailer. That's a sucessful shakedown in my book.

The only carnage I could find for you guy's is at the 14 second mark of this vid.

250r05

« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2011, 06:20:50 AM »
Very cool.How wide are you? that go -pro must be a great tuning device.  do you miss the power of the  670?

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2011, 07:33:05 AM »
Thanks for the vid's.  Looks like some of them place's between 4 and 4.5 min's would be a not so good spot to run out of talent.  Get's just a mite tight. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

nagel

« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2011, 08:59:14 AM »
Thanks for the vid's.  Looks like some of them place's between 4 and 4.5 min's would be a not so good spot to run out of talent.  Get's just a mite tight.

LOL, thats my kind of terrain around here..  Wish I had the open dirt "roads" that he has..  Most of my stuff is like 4 - 4.5 mins (and if I want more, I need to widen the existing ATV trails I've made). Otherwise is 3 x 1 acre fields for me (they get boring in about 3 mins)

Gotta love the go-pro.. I have a Vio POV-1 myself, wish the Go-Pro came out earlier, I woulda saved a ton of money!!

What size tires are you running?  The look like 23's or 25's???

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 09:02:18 AM by nagel »

DaveM

« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2011, 06:02:13 PM »
55" wide. I don't miss the 670. This motor works good, maybe down a bit on initial grunt from the 670 CVT set-up, but it will spin the tires on take off, kick the back end out in the turns, and shifting adds to the fun factor. And 3 times the fuel mileage. So far I like it.

We get into some tighter trails than these. That video doesn't show how steep the hills on that trail are. This is our secondary riding area and has a good assortment of terrain, from roads to tighter trails than those in the vid.
 Our preffered riding area has much nicer access roads and trails to run, and some really tight stuff that will be a challenge without the CVT.

25" tall tires. Yamaha Rhino factory take offs wheel/tires
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:59:49 PM by DaveM »

DaveM

« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2011, 06:23:29 PM »
I'll call it project complete.
Bigger rad keeps the temp in check.
Changed the front shocks to coilovers for a Yamaha Vector sled. A little softer/smoother, work good.

4.5 hr ride on Saturday. A small issue with the baffle on the end of the muffler coming apart. Looks like the heat anealled the aluminum and softened it up. The bolts pulled through it. A little loud without it, but not too bad. Chains seem to be holding up ok. Ready to put some miles on it.

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2011, 07:58:15 PM »
Nice job Dave.

DaveM

« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2011, 06:05:19 PM »
It's amazing how stresses can find their way through a chassis.
I found this under the roll bar padding. One side cracked clean through, other side 2/3's around.
top of the front hoop of the cage

trans man

« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2011, 06:58:05 PM »
OUCH! :o :o

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal