Author Topic: My Short Sand Car rebuild - take two  (Read 1325 times)

tarmacblack

My Short Sand Car rebuild - take two
« on: February 11, 2010, 06:37:17 PM »
I posted this over on Mini-Buggy, but being that there are a handful of you guys here (whom I've come to respect greatly over the months of lurking) that don't post there anymore, I thought I better bring it over here too.

Here's the history; I bought this standard travel Short car with a blackbird cbr 1000 about 6 years ago.  I took it out once and hated the marvin shaw/short arm configuration.  I scabbed together some unequal front arms and a 5-link rear without knowing much of anything about suspension geometry.  Painted the frame put it back together filled it with oil and headed to the sand dunes.  Three bowls from camp I spun a rod-bearing.  I checked the oil without running the engine and forgot to compensate for the oil cooler... hard lesson to learn.

I bought a 2001 CBR929 engine got about half way through mounting it and lost interest.  It's been sitting for about 4 years now. 

I recently found some long lost interest so I bought a bench seat (I've got a three year old and a wife) and plan on re-building the passenger compartment, front suspension, and rear-5-link.

I started modeling some of the parts in Inventor.  Heres what I've got so far.

Bulkhead:

Spindle:

Rear hub/5 link carrier:

And the start of the lower front A-arm:

I've only been using inventor for about 2 weeks now but I'm starting to get the hang of it.  I'm hoping to use it to model my suspension so I can check bump-steer, camber/castor change, and locate the correct rack-position and shock mount locations.

I'll have what is left of the car on the table in a day or two so I'll update the thread with some photos of what I'm working with then.

After a few comments on the rear carrier I decided to re-draw it:

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: My Short Sand Car rebuild - take two
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 07:03:47 PM »
do you have a pic of the rear end of the rail before any disassembling  work? I am a little familiar with the short sand car rear ends and have built a few 5 links in the past. I will say if you have the room go with a 6 link imo. you could also go to this link and down load their pdf catalog then scroll down to almost the bottom, they have a similar bulk head set up for sale.  http://azfabpro.com/index.html
on the spindles in the front might be able to help you out on those too. are you going to run10 degrees kpi ? and the distance from the top hole to the bottom hole 8.5"?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 08:30:45 PM by Dsrace »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal