Author Topic: I need help...  (Read 7710 times)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
I need help...
« on: January 18, 2014, 03:10:35 PM »
I need help! (like most of you already did not know THAT...  ;D )

Anyways trying to get back going on some old projects that got sidelined and stored away when life caught me in a side blitz.

I know what I am seeking exists as I have held it in my hands before.

I am looking for a DEEEEEEEEEEP 9/16 socket (3/8 drive but could go to 1/2 inch drive if I had too)

What I am seeking is a 3/8 drive 9/16 SIX point socket that has the inner flutes or flats that spin the nut or bolt all the way down the bodys inside. NOT just at the point for 1/2 inch or so.

A standard craftsman 9/16 deepwell will allow me to slide a BOLT HEAD 1.5 inches up inside it. I need more like four to five inches.

I can get the sockets in a cheap bulk buy and could cut them on a lathe so I just had the bodies with the drive flutes in them and then align them and tig weld them together but I am holding that off for a last resort. Since I know this is made somewhere...

So what I NEED is a deepwell socket that a reallly long bolt could easily slide its head into at least four to five inches.

Anyone got any ideas where to find this?

Most of the deeeeeep impact sockets I have found only have a tiny area at the openening where the bolt head can only slide in a tiny bit. They are round the rest ofthe way.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: I need help...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 04:04:20 PM »
 SO ,you need a socket 4-5 inches deep full depth "spline".Hmmmm,will look around some.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 04:44:34 PM »
Yes I believe that is what I seek.

I will add that I DO NOT need it to be an impact socket. I only mentioned that because I see them all the time that are way long but they are usually only "splined" at the very end.

Regular style chrome would be perfect. Black impact steel would also be fine as frogs hair.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 05:06:19 PM »
Ever consider making one from 2 sockets? TIGged looks very nice and is plenty strong. I have made offset end wrenckes that way for my 1/2" head bolts on these cv heads.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 06:20:37 PM »
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 06:24:05 PM »
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 10:05:58 PM »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 10:21:32 PM »
 He wants the hex to be full depth,I think.   .95 is not full depth.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 03:52:06 AM »
Yes I have considered tigging multiple sockets together (I put that in my first post even. he he heh  ) But I would only get three inches from two common deepwell so would need three socket each to make my one I need. Its not out of the question yet but I am trying to avoid doing this as the bolt inside will need to travel back and forth inside it (The socket will be stationary lengthwise but spin) and if they are not perfect it could hang up.

As pointed out the other sockets mentioned are only splined on the end a short distance and worthless to me. I just sent back four Sunex 884505 as after a lot of searching and calls to technical support who ASSURED me the splines were five inches it turns out they were less than one inch. (Thanks to that asshole I had to eat shipping both ways and a restocking fee to return thier junk.)

These were what I sent back. I did not get them at Amazon however.  http://www.amazon.com/Sunex-884505-8-Inch-16-Inch-Socket/dp/B0074HNK9A

Right now Deaner (he posts on this site too I am pretty sure) has directed me to this as I aksed the same question on MBN.

http://www.sdp-si.com/web/html/shaftacc.htm     Its the second one down in the middle called the Hex hole sleeve. I cannot link to it alone. (EDIT: You NEED to click on the little camera to see it)

The hex shaft coupling (sleeve) MIGHT work. I do question if if would be hard enough. I am not going to be transferring a lot of power with these so it might or I could have it hardened after welding on a 3/8 socket drive end.

I hate to do it that way but if I cannot find the sockets I actually seek I might. As I said I have held them in my hand so I know SOMEBODY made them at one time anyways.....
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 03:56:26 AM by Nutz4sand »

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 04:00:35 AM »
Upon farther digging to see if I could post a pic here it seems that the hex shaft coupling is discontinued so that ship seems to have sunk.....  :'(   

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 04:30:03 AM »
https://sdp-si.com/eStore/Catalog/Group/148

But after more lookin... It seems they may have them but the numbers do not add up. The diameters seems wrong as in not possible? Not that he diameter would affect me much. Its just wrong size diameters to me maybe? When I open my calipers to the diameters they suggest it seems impossible... I am tired at this moment so...

It would be either A 7C20 05      OR      A7C20 06

A common craftsman 9/16 socket measures 0.350 across its flats so either of those above might work depending on tolerances as the 05 is .315 acoss its flats and the 06 is 0.378 across its flats. I want a nice fit but not to tight so the larger would likely get the nod here.

They are not very long either and at the cost they have would not be worth worrying about VS just tigging common sockets I guess....

If you click on the part numbers it shows cost and yah I would buy sockets and tig them before I would buy the sleeves at those prices.

So I am STILL looking for my sockets!

I have a small reason to think that Snap On might have them but no luck online so far and the snap on dealer is not local to me....  I could just be wishfull thinking....

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 10:51:58 AM »
Contact a broaching service in your area. They can likely make you a sleeve of any length. Still need to weld a square drive on the end though.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 01:20:16 PM »
Broaching will not go that deep. Will need to EDM.

I would go the welded socket route. Put a small chamfer on the insides so that they won't hang up. Get a piece of aluminum hex stock for a guide. If you heat the whole thing up before welding, the aluminum should expand enough to keep everything lined up pretty well.

Offline lupus1

• Peon extrordinaire
  • Grunt worker
You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need one to skydive twice.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 08:47:35 AM »
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-19pc-universal-max-axess-socket-and-ratchet/p-00931088000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Would this work?

Afraid not as those are simply designed to travel a nut down a long bolt or thread.

In these the socket moves with the nut along the threads.

I need a LONNNNNG socket so that that socket spins but does not move oherwise and a BOLT head can travel inside the socket on the flat areas that spin the bolt.

Looking to go to tractor supply place and see if I can make something of a slip joint in the extension area with tractor PTO square drive shaft parts.

There are adjustable 3/8th extensions but they are to long and I dunno if I cut them down if here would be enough there to work. Heck not even sure I could cut them down and they would still work. Instead of the socket letting the bolt slide in it the extension would just change length.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/hand-tools/ratchets-sockets/3-8-adjustable-socket-extension/p-1740383-c-9159.htm

That said a fellow at work claims he has a catalog that shows what I seek (mega long socket) but he keeps forgetting it and I am not sure he understands what I seek but he sorta seems too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal