Author Topic: I Bet You Never read This About Ethanol.  (Read 2697 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
I Bet You Never read This About Ethanol.
« on: February 17, 2020, 06:05:43 PM »
I sure never did before but it is VERY interesting though.

Scientific evidence reveals that also water is an inhibitor for corrosion by ethanol.[6]

The experiments are done with E50, which is more aggressive & speeds up the corrosion effect. It is very clear that by increasing the amount of water in fuel ethanol one can reduce the corrosion. At 2% or 20,000 ppm water in the fuel ethanol the corrosion stopped. The observations in Japan are in line with the fact that hydrous ethanol is known for being less corrosive than anhydrous ethanol.
The reaction mechanism is 3 EtOH + Al -> Al(OEt)3 + ​3⁄2 H2 will be the same at lower-mid blends. When enough water is present in the fuel, the aluminum will react preferably with water to produce Al2O3, repairing the protective aluminum oxide layer. The aluminum alkoxide does not make a tight oxide layer; water is essential to repair the holes in the oxide layer.

Info is from a wiki   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_fuel
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: I Bet You Never read This About Ethanol.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 02:21:37 PM »
i guess i do not know the difference between anhydrous and hydrous???
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 02:22:46 PM »
also i always thought the real corrosive was air as in an empty tank sitting for some time. i know moisture is absorbed as well but if we run enough through frequently its not an issue.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 06:34:42 PM »
i guess i do not know the difference between anhydrous and hydrous???
anhydrous is almost totally H2O free and hydrous has water in it. You know,pump e85.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 07:04:02 PM »
also i always thought the real corrosive was air as in an empty tank sitting for some time. i know moisture is absorbed as well but if we run enough through frequently its not an issue.
No,it is the moisture in the air and the condensation that can occur in the tank that is readily absorbed by the ethanol.Most all issues with storing ethanol are associated with pump e85 that has been sitting for who knows how long in a storage tank 80 percent empty with a rather large amount of atmosphere that has plenty of moisture to be absorbed into the continually lesser amount of ethanol in the dstorage tank. Sooner or later there will be enough moisture to cause phase separation. The problem is that you never know how close to phase separation alky you are buying. Sooooo,it isnt advisable to stock up on pump e85.

Now with anhydrous e98 there isn't any water to start with and further the 2% denaturant is dry as well. Instead of gasoline that will try to break down into different compounds(not good)the denaturant will not do so. Anhydrous E98 when stored in a tightly sealed drum in a stable temperature has a 3-5 year minimum storage life.Theoreticaly, ethanol has unlimited storage life just like vodka,tequilla,gin,etc..
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Grimm Reaper Racing

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 11:58:18 AM »
That is very interesting...  Too bad E98 is so damn expensive.
See you all duneside.😎🤙

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 01:19:28 PM »
by the barrel as fabr is purcasing it, it is more expensive than at the local pump. that statement is $ to $ . having said that, if you were to look at fabrs purpose then it is actually cheaper. he wants long term safe storage, plus min water content. at the pump you get neither. i buy it at the pump as i burn it. the most mine has ever sat with out fresh fuel is prob 3 - 4 months during the winter.  i actually have a ethy stabilizer by stabil i add to it and so far no issues. now if i had a location i wanted to safely store a few hundred gallons then at the pump doesnt work. by the drum as  fabr is or from the refinery but you would have to source the tank to purchase from the refinery. i know that for fact  ;D    i still buy from the pump but it doesnt last long as well as $2 gal.    you can mix the e98 as well but i would run it straight cause it smells good lol
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 01:33:00 PM by dsrace »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 05:06:10 PM »
That is very interesting...  Too bad E98 is so damn expensive.
IF I lived near Benson ,Mn and could save the drum charge and shipping it would be less than $3/gal. Then mixed with pump 87 to E85 it would be around $2.75/gal or so.  I might take a vacation up that way later this year ,never been up north,and pick up 8 drums. The drum and freight charges would pay the cost of the trip and I'd get to see the sights as well. Kill 2 birds with one stone.  There is no where around here that sells e85 pump anymore so I have a choice of $$$$race gas or $alky. So little used here that I wouldn't trust pump e85 even if it tested 85 anyway.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 05:10:48 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal