Author Topic: AR-51 build  (Read 136893 times)

Online DeepBusch69

Re: AR-51 build
« Reply #315 on: October 23, 2019, 03:50:58 PM »
Looking very good my man!  But I have a very important question, are you planning on a LS trip next spring? 

Cool to hear that the bypasses made it that much smoother, I may have to add them sometime. 

The car is definitely getting to the deranged stage! 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #316 on: October 24, 2019, 06:41:06 AM »
out of curiosity .....with the addition of the by pass shocks, did you change the valving in your coil over ( faster comp/slower rebound) to allow the bypass to do most of the work?
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #317 on: October 24, 2019, 11:55:17 AM »
Oh man,I've been researching this a lot lately. LOTS of differing opinions out there.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline deranged

« Reply #318 on: October 25, 2019, 06:50:18 AM »
This spring might be a long stretch as the car isn't truly tested as of yet to make the trek down there, now next fall, IT'S ON!!!!!

Great question regarding the valving.  The simple answer is 8, 10 and 12.  8 stack in the coil over, 10 stack in the mid speed clicker on the reservoir for the coil over and a 12 stack in the bypass.  My good friend Neal who is in with King and some of the guys who do shock tuning are just amazing when it comes to shock tuning.  I worked with Neal and gave him all of my suspension info, rough corner weight pivot points, un sprung weight and maybe a piece of my liver.  All that was sent over to King and 2 months later I got a set of bypasses with recommended valving instructions.  Currently I have a 10 stack in the clicker reservoir, a 10 stack with a big flutter stack and the bypasses are 12's.  The bypass valving is set up right in the middle.  So  far just doing the mechanical testing, I am still amazed at how well the car stays planted in the whoops.

Below is a link to a video of a truck that the suspension was set up the buy that Neal knows.  There was a group of guys up here in the mitten who pooled up some money for this guy to fly out to Michigan and spread some suspension wizzardry.  I can't wait to get some action video of the suspension doing it's thing.

Justin
I live nowhere near a desert....

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #319 on: October 25, 2019, 01:29:51 PM »
sounds like you had some real guidence from some experts. i have never understood kings valving so i have no idea what 8,10 or 12 means in a king shock.  i am glad to hear and see that it works very good on your rail!! i have tried flutter stacks in the past and could tell no difference so i have never tried again. i have read statements and have talked to people that have installed bypass with out changine valving or springs on existing c/o shocks. they have all said it made a huge diff right out of the box with no adjustment. i have spoken with mark at marks sand trans ( fox dealer, expert etc etc) about speeding up comp and rebound on c/o and setting bypass to do most of the dampening. now this is based on the c/o being pretty much on the money already. he has said flutter stacks work well and when i say i have tried and saw no difference, i should say i have tried this on fox air shocks. they are a little different animal then c/o's. lokks like its working very well for you in the video's deranged

Offline deranged

« Reply #320 on: March 06, 2020, 06:10:26 AM »
Man, it has been busy....

I DID however get some hours in the garage last week to get some work done on the sheet metal for the car.  Somedays I wish I would just buy a car so I dont have to always be building...LOL.   Or I should just not cut a perfectly good car in half.  HAAAA!

Well, I am down to mounting my chase bar and wing onto the car for the sheet metal.  I have all my brackets for rear brakes and then off to paint!

I'm going to also rebuild the lower rear arms so that I get all the benefits of the bypass.  Long story, but I will have to use limit straps so I dont kill my C/V's.  Not the end of the world.

During testing, I noticed that my chain would tighten and loosen as the sprocket turned.  Well, I think when I cut my sprocket, the steel moved as the water jet cut.  No worries, i'll cut a new one but I will have tabs built into the cut so the steel doesn't move around.

I am also going to run a trailtech vapor dash.  The busa gauges are very hard to read while sitting in the car.  The trailtech unit also has the capabilities to have a speedo!  I did some research and found that the busa will run without the cluster.  I want to be able to tap into the harness that goes to the gauge cluster to at least have a couple idiot lights for oil pressure, neutral and for the F-I light.  I will have to do some looking to see if the lights are turned on in the cluster or as a signal from the ECU.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #321 on: March 06, 2020, 07:06:10 AM »
looks great....do tell us why your not making full use of the bypass shocks now?      yes the busa will run w/o the dash. i have never heard of that dash but will be interesting to see it in person!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #322 on: March 06, 2020, 07:07:41 AM »
even if you bought a different rail.....you will always find something to change lol. maybe next time just build a new frame or atleast i should say if i make a major change again i will just build a new frame.  LMAO

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #323 on: March 06, 2020, 07:34:57 AM »
Very nice work and the car will look fantastic. Congrats!!

CHeck this out guys. A Funco with Fox Live Valvee electronic shocks. HMmmmmm.........................

https://forums.duneanddirt.com/forum/technical-discussion-ae/test/32605-coilover-funco
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 07:41:42 AM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #324 on: March 06, 2020, 07:48:14 AM »
Man that looks sick!! What colors are you going with?
I have had great luck with a Trailtech Voyager, they build some good stuff.
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline deranged

« Reply #325 on: March 06, 2020, 09:29:58 AM »
Thanks guys!

So, the shocks.  Right now my droop is stopped by the shocks.  I could have gotten away with 2" shorter shocks but since I already had them that option was out.  So right now I will bottom out the chassis and the shocks at the same time.  We don't want that.  That is roughly 2" of shock shaft.   Currently I am not entering the last bypass tube by short stroking them.  I could get 2" longer ends for the shocks but that is gonna get expensive plus I am not too keen on my lower arm design.  I will have to get limit straps for the droop after the modification. 

Yeah, I will build a new chassis next time HAAA!

So those Fox shocks.  I am currently working with Fox on a new anodize facility in GA.  Actually Fox as a whole is moving there.  I have seen those shocks up close and spoke with an engineer about them.  Pretty rad!  It makes me wonder if this will be incorporated into the bypass shocks too. 

As for the dash, I mis spoke.  Its the vapor unit that I am looking at.

Offline deranged

« Reply #326 on: April 29, 2020, 08:26:30 AM »
GOOD MORNING!
Man, it's been a while.  We are very busy at work which keeps me from build time. 
This COVID crap has given me some extra time to finish up the small details.  The sheet metal is complete.  I also re built the lower arms in the rear and the front.  It works great now and there are no bends in the arms either.  The front upper mount had to be moved up to work, but it's DONE!

I have the car completely stripped down with the panels bolted on ready for the body guy.  I am HOPING that we can get in and paint this sucker next week.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #327 on: April 29, 2020, 09:28:23 PM »
Cool,very cool!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #328 on: April 30, 2020, 07:59:03 AM »
Very nice work, some great details going on there.  I hope to see it this fall in person! 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #329 on: May 03, 2020, 06:13:43 PM »
nice work!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal