Author Topic: Crazy Fast Build  (Read 50434 times)

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
Re: Crazy Fast Build
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2013, 12:08:26 AM »
Well I got is standing on it's own feet to day. But it leans to the right side and I can't figure out why?  The rear shock on that side I just filled with the replacement shock oil they sent me due to the shock breaking in shipping.  Also these shock have stamped on them that 200 psi max (Sway Away 2.5" 18" travel).  When do you measure that 200?  In the add for these things they claim 50 - 500 psig?  I had to put in 250 to get it to stand up. 

I still don't like the lines of the rail since raising the roof looks like a crawler.  It really needs a trunk wing to level the look out.

The big thing for the day was to roll out the rail and clean up the shop.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2013, 05:58:38 AM »
Form follows function. You needed the extra roof height for safety reasons. It is what it is. After it is all said and done ,and a wing is in place,you'll like the look.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2013, 08:45:09 PM »
to start call manufacturer and ask on psi for sure but you charge them with the wheels off the ground. you have pretty good leverage for 200 psi .
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2013, 10:46:21 PM »
I called Sway Away and yes it clearly indicates 200 psig max but according to the tech and the documents on the wed site it is good to 500 psi.  He said that I should put the rail at ride height and then pressure up.  Doing that it ended up being right around 200 psi.

So I took the shocks off and drained the fluid out of them.  Than refilled them to the amount recommended for them.  FYI Sway Away oil is 7 wt shock oil.  I installed the shocks on the opposite side then they where before and it is better but still not the same on both sides.  I guess I will have to disassemble the suspension and clean and make certain that something isn't rubbing or in a bind.  Without the shock I could move both sides un and down by hand without issue.  I can't think of anything else.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2013, 05:47:10 AM »
Wheels off ground to get a true psi.  And with new shocks and oil, some of the nitrogen will absorb.  So a slight recharge will be necessary. 

The low midrail on side of car is what makes it look top heavy.  Had same issue on my old green car.  When building this one didn't want the top heavy look so I angled midrail up more than DS does.  In fact the wing trunk is pretty dang high.  But I'm 6'4" and have 6" head Clearance so roof is tall, just doesn't look it, maybe.  Crap I confused myself.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2013, 01:13:10 PM »
I called Sway Away and yes it clearly indicates 200 psig max but according to the tech and the documents on the wed site it is good to 500 psi.  He said that I should put the rail at ride height and then pressure up.  Doing that it ended up being right around 200 psi.

So I took the shocks off and drained the fluid out of them.  Than refilled them to the amount recommended for them.  FYI Sway Away oil is 7 wt shock oil.  I installed the shocks on the opposite side then they where before and it is better but still not the same on both sides.  I guess I will have to disassemble the suspension and clean and make certain that something isn't rubbing or in a bind.  Without the shock I could move both sides un and down by hand without issue.  I can't think of anything else.

no...... wheels off the ground then set pressure. if it's not enough go a little more. no load on shocks wheels must be off the ground no backpressure on shock!!!!!!!!! don't care what the tech says cause this is the way fox and king air shocks are as well as marvin shaw!!!!!!!
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2013, 02:28:31 PM »
many techs are mostly low tech.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
« Reply #127 on: November 27, 2013, 11:30:45 PM »
Been a while since I posted any thing.  Here are a couple of progress posts.

Radiator and Fan mounted.

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
« Reply #128 on: November 27, 2013, 11:34:11 PM »
View of the rear end from the top.  Got the axles back.  Started figuring out the wiring harness.

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
« Reply #129 on: November 27, 2013, 11:36:15 PM »
What the dash is looking like.

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
« Reply #130 on: November 27, 2013, 11:40:37 PM »
Head lights, these are 2000 lumens part light and work great or great for $140.  Ebay.

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
« Reply #131 on: November 27, 2013, 11:44:19 PM »
 Side panels, starting to look like a car.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #132 on: November 28, 2013, 07:12:34 AM »
Been a while since I posted any thing.  Here are a couple of progress posts.

Radiator and Fan mounted.

what is the aluminum container in front of the motor?  I hope this fan placement works for you. I only say this because I tried this once and did not work, couldn't get 1 mile with out the motor running hot. nice pics!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #133 on: November 28, 2013, 07:13:17 AM »
What the dash is looking like.

I like the dash work!! nice job ..............your rail is looking good

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2013, 07:17:20 AM »
I could only find 1 pic with a clear shot to show you but and this is only my opinion but I think you might need to add 2 more pieces of tube to the rear cradle support. from what I can see in the pic you have added all the bracing I would think you'll need except in one spot. looks good to btw! I know you have your muffler there and if you do add them you could even put a slight bend into them to clear the muffler imo.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal