Author Topic: Tresspassers  (Read 8579 times)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: Tresspassers
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 08:53:44 PM »
Become the squeaky wheel. Call the cops and DOCUMENT IT EACH TIME YOU DO!  Call them and call them and call them. Yah its pain. But if they stop responding to you then you need to see about the next level. Cops HAVE to respond. They will give you sad stores about being busy elsewhere. Tell them these people are making threatening gestures (Flipping you off and indicating a gun with thier hand for instance)

If its even close let them know you are being threatened. Being hit with a speeding sled IS assault. Get (or borrow) a cheap sled if you do not have one and ride from one end to the other. Say you were towing your kid on a sled and these guys got within feet of you. This is best if you are well within your land boundries and have the offending tracks then cross over yours.

If you have a good video camera and can film them (yah this is a pain too) but if you film them tresspassing AND get the numbers off thier sleds you can press charges that way. If not against the rider then against the person the sleds registered too.   Depending on local laws you can also SUE THEM in small claims court for silly shit (Have to check your laws). This sound funny but its true in 98% places. If they do not show up in court you win and they get an injunction agasint them that will sprend a word like wildfire to avoid you. Even if they do show up in court word will still get around.

Yah its bullshit you haev to do any of this. The crooks got it better thats for dam sure. 

I am for root cause laws. If you have no tresspassing signs up and a person gets hurt on YOUR LAND they are responsable scince the "root cause" was they were where they should not be FIRST. Had they not done that it could not have happened on YOUR land. Anyone opposed to this needs a backwoods lesson in Glockology. Its simple... stay off/away from others property. 

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 09:10:40 PM »
maybe I should just put on my helmet and neck brace then go take a dive in front of a few of them....I could use the money. ;D
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 09:27:17 PM »
Do they all follow the same track across your land or just run amuck?

With a little ingenuity you could make spike strips for tracks thats you could then drag in so no evidence. Ruined tracks are never fun.

Hell wanna be a real prick? If you got some evil (In a good way to you) friends knock them off the sleds with rope then have the evil ones STEAL the sleds and take off on them. Strip them out or just ditch them.
Just need the three or four most popular sled tether kill switches on hand.

(I'll take a couple four stroke sled motors if they happen to show up!)   >:D
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

trojan

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 09:31:05 PM »
I shouldn't have to pay to prevent somebody from doing something they shouldn't be doin anyway.

Uhh YES you should - your land - your problem... I, shouldn't have to pay for it.... that's what you mean right?

The obvious question is: how's a potential trespasser supposed to know your where your sacred boundaries are WITHOUT fences - sheesh.
The ONLY reason I can see that a trespasser could sue is if you created a physical danger or blocked a known track/right of way. With so many doing it (that it has become a problem) I suspect it is a defacto right of way? Let me get this straight, you can legally shoot someone for tresspassing and they can sue you for running into your fence? Are you guys created and nurtured by lawyers for their amusement?

Dude, I feel for you, really, but where is the REAL crime here, what/who was damaged or effected?

Some countries consider trespass as a right.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 09:42:18 PM »

Is there a logical argument here? 

Some countries eat live monkey brains, others stone women to death, while some allow for sex with female animals but not male animals.  What does any of that have to do with stopping folks from zipping across your yard without consent?   

Property ownership, whether real or personal, brings with it the right of use.  That ownership allows the owner to decide what conduct, assuming the conduct is otherwise legal, can occur, or not occur on / with their property.   
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 09:50:05 PM »
Uhh YES you should - your land - your problem... I, shouldn't have to pay for it.... that's what you mean right?

The obvious question is: how's a potential trespasser supposed to know your where your sacred boundaries are WITHOUT fences - sheesh.
The ONLY reason I can see that a trespasser could sue is if you created a physical danger or blocked a known track/right of way. With so many doing it (that it has become a problem) I suspect it is a defacto right of way? Let me get this straight, you can legally shoot someone for tresspassing and they can sue you for running into your fence? Are you guys created and nurtured by lawyers for their amusement?

Dude, I feel for you, really, but where is the REAL crime here, what/who was damaged or effected?

I wish I could legally shoot someone for tresspassing.  It would be a lot more fun than the targets I normally shoot at.  It's only legal in a few states, and this ain't one of them, I already checked.  The point is, it is MY land.  We have tresspassing laws and in my case a city ordinance that prohibits that kind of activity, and it is always up to the operator to know what they can and can not do.  On top of that, other than the street in front of my house, they have to cross over at least one and up to three other properties to get to mine.  There is plenty of fence, treelines, roads, etc. to indicate they are on somebody's land.  I'm not out in the middle of the desert or mountains or anywhere boundries would be hard to determine.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 09:51:23 PM »
Well said Yummi

trojan

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 09:53:49 PM »

I should have prefaced it with: "For some perspective".....

Property ownership, whether real or personal, brings with it the right of use.  That ownership allows the owner to decide what conduct, assuming the conduct is otherwise legal, can occur, or not occur on / with their property.  

IF that was true, then we wouldn't be having this discussion  :police:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 09:56:47 PM by trojan »

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 09:57:48 PM »
IF that was true, than we wouldn't be having this discussion  :police:

It is the central point of this discussion.... and it is true......

Wait, am I being secretly video taped? Mr. Alan Funt gonna jump out and say "Surprise your on Candid Camera?" 

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 10:00:57 PM »
Most of the time they are headed to and from the bar.  Which means they could also be guilty of OWI or DUI, whatever it's called these days.  The problem is enforcement.  The laws are there and have been for a long time, but they have been enforced so little that snowmobilers think they can do whatever they want.  I would say hunters come in at a close second for tresspassing, but they always get caught.  And as a result have become more considerate and more prone to ask for permission to enter somebody else's land.

trojan

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2009, 10:07:44 PM »
It is the central point of this discussion.... and it is true.....

BS! why are the police telling him that there's nothing much he can do

So the last 5 or 6 years I have had problems with snowmobiles cutting accross my property.  I chase some of them down and tell them this is private property and that nobody has permission to ride on it.  I've put up signs a few years, still doesn't help.  So I called the sheriffs dept. to find out what I can do to get rid of them and I was told to put up a fence and hope they don't tear it down...does this sound right?  I was also told I had to have signage posted that says no tresspassing and hope they don't get torn down.  And to top that, the first time is a verbal warning, after that a charge IF I can prove it was the same person twice.  I was told by the man with a badge that he has been beaten in court because the guilty party claimed they didn't know they were tresspassing.  So I asked him if it was ok for me to run them down in my truck and then claim I didn't know it was wrong cuz I did it on my own property.  The response, "that's different.".  I guess I thought the law was the law and your guilty whether you knew about it or not.

Well I guess "It's Different" then....

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2009, 10:18:20 PM »
Because the police are lazy, it is also likely a misdemeanor that they must witness, the fines generate no revenue, the list is endless.  The fact that the police will not pursue does not make it less "true."  The police have no lock on "truth." 

"Truth" is best determined by the courts; in this case the courts recognize that land has the right of use (yada, yada, yada - see above) unless there is a need for "prescriptive easement" that would be enforced again by the courts.  That is most likely to occur between public open lands ONLY when there is no other access available. 

In this case, there is no "rule of trespass," only scofflaws and lazy police. 

trojan

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2009, 10:28:13 PM »
If the law is on the books but the police effectively don't enforce it, does it really exist?

The police have no lock on "truth." 

If the police are the ones enforcing the courts "truth" and they are being selective about that enforcement, then: yeah, they do.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2009, 07:22:43 AM »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2009, 11:42:09 AM »

Some countries eat live monkey brains, others stone women to death, while some allow for sex with female animals but not male animals.  What does any of that have to do with stopping folks from zipping across your yard without consent?   

Yummi,along with property ownership and the privelege of how or if it is used also comes the responsibility to properly secure it if you wish to not have trespassers.BUILD A FENCE.  It's YOUR responsibility to do so.Plain and simple.Whining about trespassers or putting up signs are not going a thing to relieve your problem. Hate to say it(really I do LOL) but I agreee with 90% of what trojan said.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal