Author Topic: USB to COM adapters  (Read 4614 times)

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
USB to COM adapters
« on: January 12, 2009, 05:56:15 PM »
Ok, my Vista laptop is not liking the adapter I have to plug into the portfueler box. Anyone have a suggestion for one they have had good luck with???

WHY IN THE FU(k are COM ports STILL USED!!!!!??????

Ok, done venting...
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Re: USB to COM adapters
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 06:15:32 PM »
Vista may be the root of your problem.  :P ::)

Did the converter you have come with an instalation disk?  I have worked with several, and found they are not always plug and play...  I don't know the specific brand we were using, but just a radio shack type converter.  All my experience is with XP.  We used one to talk to the MSD box, weather station, and racepack, on the drag car.  I messed with it for 45 minutes trying to install the software etc, then it just started working....... not sure what I did.  ;D  But after that I found that it would only work properly on one of the three USB ports on the laptop.  (I think it was a dell.)  If you have another know device that works, I would try talking to if first to make sure that the adapter is working before trying it on you new equipment.  We worked on a new MSD box for about 3 hours with several different computers, and finally found that the mass wiring plug wasn't snapped in all the way and there was no power.  :P :P :P

I know I haven't helped, but possibly encouraged a bit.  I would seriousely try a non-vista laptop if you have access to one.  Or drag you desktop out there if it has XP.  ;D

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 06:28:02 PM »
Thats what I am somewhat confused about..This adapter works perfectly with Vista and the AEM standalone in my truck. Now I'm thinking the Portfueler box doesn't like Vista! I have an XP laptop @ work that has an ACTUAL com port I guess I will have to drag home...Along with an extension cord for the junk battery in it!
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 06:32:28 PM »
If the adapter works with the laptop on another device I would look elsewhere for the problem.  Power......  Cord..... We were putting some stuff together the other day and 3 out of 10 USB cords wouldn't work.  Right out of the box.  Are you in the same USB port.  Do you have the port set correctly in the program?  Check in your AEM program for all of the com settings......  Ours always had the USB as com6.

trojan

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 06:59:06 PM »
I have tried approx 10 of them with the same results. I keep an old 600 MHz laptop with a real COM port just for this stuff. I have heard legends of some obscure brand working..... never seen it though

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 07:32:25 PM »
If the adapter works with the laptop on another device I would look elsewhere for the problem.  Power......  Cord..... We were putting some stuff together the other day and 3 out of 10 USB cords wouldn't work.  Right out of the box.  Are you in the same USB port.  Do you have the port set correctly in the program?  Check in your AEM program for all of the com settings......  Ours always had the USB as com6.
I have the AEM setup using com6. Always connects
I just tried the Fueler box again on com6. It tried to connect then the program failed (stopped responding) All settings are correct on the setup. What do you think? The program isn't liking Vista? I have 3 USBs on this laptop, which translate to com6, 7 and 4. All the same results

I have tried approx 10 of them with the same results. I keep an old 600 MHz laptop with a real COM port just for this stuff. I have heard legends of some obscure brand working..... never seen it though

I have heard the same things on the AEM forums. One that works for this guy is the one that NEVER work for another guy.. I guess I got lucky with the one I got for the AEM. I will try XP next just to rule it out.. Just wish I kept XP around here!

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 07:40:17 AM »
I have the AEM setup using com6. Always connects
I just tried the Fueler box again on com6. It tried to connect then the program failed (stopped responding) All settings are correct on the setup. What do you think? The program isn't liking Vista? I have 3 USBs on this laptop, which translate to com6, 7 and 4. All the same results

I have heard the same things on the AEM forums. One that works for this guy is the one that NEVER work for another guy.. I guess I got lucky with the one I got for the AEM. I will try XP next just to rule it out.. Just wish I kept XP around here!

Just buy a used cheapo laptap with XP. Probably pick one up for near nothing.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 07:59:35 AM »
Just buy a used cheapo laptap with XP. Probably pick one up for near nothing.
Found one! 20 bucks...Typing on it right now....Let me turn it around..

Holy shit!!!!

A COM PORT!!!!! ;D

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 08:18:26 AM »
Now the only question is will it talk to the Fueler??

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 08:32:16 AM »
There yA go! Mine went up in smoke one day. I gotta quit burning my stuff up! LOL!!!Gotta get another to take to the sand.I'm not taking a good computer to the dunes ever again.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

LiveWire

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 08:33:41 AM »
You might also try running VMWare with XP, 98, etc. http://www.vmware.com/ VMware Workstation costs money, but Server and Player are free.

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 09:22:32 AM »
You might also try running VMWare with XP, 98, etc. http://www.vmware.com/ VMware Workstation costs money, but Server and Player are free.

Good idea! I thought about a dual boot with my Vista laptop, but that can be a PITA with Vista installed first... Run a virtual machine and find out if that comm adapter will still work in XP.. Thanks for the input!

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 09:23:23 AM »
There yA go! Mine went up in smoke one day. I gotta quit burning my stuff up! LOL!!!Gotta get another to take to the sand.I'm not taking a good computer to the dunes ever again.

What the hell is it with you and burning shit up anyway????? ;D ;D ;D

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 03:11:50 PM »
Fire bug???  ???It all happened at the same time. ;DSeriously I lost 80K that day when you add up all I had in the trailer. :'( :'( :'( :'(
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 05:13:21 PM »
Fire bug???  ???It all happened at the same time. ;DSeriously I lost 80K that day when you add up all I had in the trailer. :'( :'( :'( :'(

OUCH :u

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal