Author Topic: turbo 1300 to turbo 2300 conversion  (Read 80716 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: turbo 1300 to turbo 2300 conversion
« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2016, 02:00:49 PM »
FWIW a beehive spring never is preferred unless it is the last resort only option.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #106 on: December 12, 2016, 02:27:26 PM »
well other than the obvious from having seen both i cannot say i know why one would be better than the other so please explain.......also yes on valve stem height, wishman machine is one of very few i trust to work on my engines and he is also the one that did enemy's machine work on his ranger engine which has been damn good. i will give him the specs however that hot pinto cam states from engle no direct drop in no mods needed. but yes always need to verify. is that prussian blue available at parts stores?
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #108 on: December 12, 2016, 04:49:12 PM »
ya know what upon what i've read and just discussed i am leaning towards dual springs again but i will discuss this with the machine shop again when i get there. i just stopped and talked to him but it's cold out and dinner was calling and not important at this time but will be. i understand or have a pretty good grasp of the fundamentals of the beehive spring but and i have been told that for the 2 step launch they are per-erred but for constant on and off throttle under 6500 rpm, if one breaks the idea of dropping a valve just doesn't sit well where there duals have an inner to hold it. these are non interference motor btw with dual springs that is lol on the fence again

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2016, 07:32:31 PM »
http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/beehive-springs-sound-great-but-will-they-work-for-you/
This,from that link is why I will not use beehives unless there is no other choice.

Rick Moody
Every set of beehive springs I have bought broke in the area where they narrow down. I don't use them on street applications for that reason.
Additionally,I prefer the benefit of a dual spring being able to possibly save your engine in the event of a broken spring. I have had that happen personally.

The benefits,which I do not dispute,for a drag race engine could be a plus as the benefit to a high rpm endurance application  could be a plus as well if we were in a competition event are not worth the negligible performance increase for our use in the dunes.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2016, 07:43:18 PM »
Parts stores will likely have the prussion blue. It is commonly used to check gear mating surfaces. Use it VERY,VERY sparingly,it goes a LONG way.  Put a light coating on the valve stem tip and wipe most of it off , rotate the cam through a couple revolutions. You will want to do this before the head is assembled ,just keep the valve in contact with the rocker with your finger. Do one valve at a time,being sure to number their position in the head.  Buy the smallest tube you can buy. It will be a lifetimes supply.  rofl
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2016, 07:49:17 PM »
ya know what upon what i've read and just discussed i am leaning towards dual springs again but i will discuss this with the machine shop again when i get there. i just stopped and talked to him but it's cold out and dinner was calling and not important at this time but will be. i understand or have a pretty good grasp of the fundamentals of the beehive spring but and i have been told that for the 2 step launch they are per-erred but for constant on and off throttle under 6500 rpm, if one breaks the idea of dropping a valve just doesn't sit well where there duals have an inner to hold it. these are non interference motor btw with dual springs that is lol on the fence again
They're non interference engines so long as you don't drop a valve........................ ;) ;) Break a cam belt though and you're golden. ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2016, 08:00:53 PM »
Link to an excellent very short topic on porting . Some good stuff there to make you think. Nothing specific,just a little food for thought.

http://mototuneusa.com/homework.htm
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 08:10:45 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2016, 09:18:18 PM »
good info .....ya know i have seen a few video's of guys using jb weld but i would be skeptical of it vibrating loose. i know it's strong enough to thread and the slower curing is better to use in this case as it's stronger as well as prep etc etc but, still?? saw a couple video of guys welding in diff spots on iron heads. i'm not real worried about what i did as i didn't take out much just mostly smoothing and de burring. i am concerned that i may have thinned a spot where water pass's behind but i'll find out i guess. i didn't hog anything out in the base of the port. the one link i posted was very interesting and i have read it several times. when i get time i am going to check that 22* angle and see how far off that is. bo port is catching up and may be open for new business and once he is i have considered sending my spare in for his stage 1 build which is 180 ish cfm that is a good mild upgrade in flow but professionally done. would make my conscience feel better even though my wallet won't be  rofl
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:24:56 PM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2016, 09:24:27 PM »
also dropped block and crank off at machine shop this am to have it checked for bore so i know which pistons to buy. 3 to 4weeks to get the cp flat top pistons i want. should be 9 to 1 comp to 9.3 to1. i need to check comb chamber cc again then wishman can check the rest to know. i'm shooting for 9 to1 where factory is 8 to1. now a couple of scotts friends with better cam and i think larger valves with mild bolt on upgrades are making 360 hp at the wheels on the dyno at 15 psi boost. bo however has been pushing 35 psi on e85 on a megasand and the older weak case on 1300 paddles. hard to believe that trans holds up but 1300 paddles at st a so......
i have been looking at 1300 plus paddles myself and will go larger fronts also adding the eps out of the saturn vue i have had for a while. they off er 100 amp to 200 amp alternators for this engine wouldn't think i would need more than the 160 amp. basically the same price. the borg warner efr turbo is oil and water  so stock water pump has a port for the factory turbo water and a return port in the block as well. that'll be easy. i want to add an oil cooler external as well but we'll see.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: December 13, 2016, 09:51:38 PM »
I always used Devcon aluminum epoxy putty , JB works equally as well but a lot cheaper.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2016, 09:55:31 PM »
Devcon works so well,I have even intentionally cut out a port wall into water jackets to drastically reshape ports ,used aluminum fine mesh screening as reinforcement and reconstructed a new intake port wall. Same goes for when raising a port to make it taller and wider where it actually cuts into the rocker area under the valve cover. Never had any problems there either.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2016, 10:33:54 PM »
well now that gives me a couple ideas! i wonder if i could use the jb since it's iron to fill in the base just a little to straighten the runner so to speak?? i could make a template like that 1 link and cut that 22* angle and flatten as he states then fill in the base of the bowl sort of to help to angle up like that 60* angle just under the valve seat. wonder what that would do? in theory
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 10:36:35 PM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2016, 10:39:27 PM »
if so would a matching 60* angle at the base like the top do anything as in matching that angle with a bit of a straight wall to the top, at the back?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: December 14, 2016, 05:40:14 AM »
Got any sketches of what you mean? Ya lost me.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal