Author Topic: 3.8 v-6  (Read 7875 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
3.8 v-6
« on: February 24, 2009, 09:23:47 PM »
got any members with some sand experience running the 3800 series II v-6's?

I have a few questions on the rev limits and stock valve springs and cams? my motor's rev limiter is factory set at 6350 rpm , I and dunebound 69 checked it with his scanner sat night.

I find myself striking the rev limiter a lot!!!! I am having a hard time being reduced to 6350 rpm after all the sport bike power plants I have run. I was wondering if anyone has taken the rev limiter up to 7k or even 7400 on the stock motors with out floating valves or dropping them?  I have posted some q's on a 3800 site and have received some great info and advise but I think the pcm's might be tuned a little different and they just don't understand sand! popular opinion over there is that my rev limiter shouldn't be that high factory, my cam isn't making power over 5k -5500 rpm and I am probably floating valves but just can't hear it over my exhaust. my motor isn't floating valves I would feel it even if I didn't hear it over my exhaust even though it is not that loud, but my motor is still pulling hard at the rev limiter, I know some one has tried this somewhere. I like my gearing the way it is in the transaxle but I would like a little more time between gears, not really looking to make more power which equals more money in the transaxle or even a mendi.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: 3.8 v-6
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 09:51:30 PM »
If its revving out to quick you might need less deep gearing. The VW styles are known for being notoriously weak with the SUPER deep gear ratios on the ring and pinion as the pinion gear is so small to get there. (yours may not be this case.) So the ring and pinion may get a little stronger with the lower ratio but of course its harder on the other gears.

Also a tach with a shift light might help you to shift a tad quicker.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 09:53:08 PM by Nutz4sand »
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 08:21:32 AM »
Who's the goofy lookin'fook in the pic? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 08:22:16 AM »
BTW,where is that pic from?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 08:32:48 AM »
DS
        Have you talked to Maurice?  This guy Knows 3800's.  Runs one in his car.  Worked for GM for years on them.  He work's 3rd shift now so don't call before about 5:00PM.

Maurice Baker
Alma. KS 66401
785-765-3811

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 09:53:58 AM »
DS
        Have you talked to Maurice?  This guy Knows 3800's.  Runs one in his car.  Worked for GM for years on them.  He work's 3rd shift now so don't call before about 5:00PM.

Maurice Baker
Alma. KS 66401
785-765-3811

I don't care what the others say ( lol  ;D ), you are the man!!!! thanks for the info I will give him a call tonight. 

I like you motto at the bottom, I would like to add that when someone tells me it can't be done that's when I know it can be done!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 09:55:48 AM »
BTW,where is that pic from?

oct 17th or 18th '08 about 4 dunes back from butter cup.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 09:57:29 AM »
Who's the goofy lookin'fook in the pic? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

my evil twin brother DS-2!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 10:06:07 AM »
If its revving out to quick you might need less deep gearing. The VW styles are known for being notoriously weak with the SUPER deep gear ratios on the ring and pinion as the pinion gear is so small to get there. (yours may not be this case.) So the ring and pinion may get a little stronger with the lower ratio but of course its harder on the other gears.

Also a tach with a shift light might help you to shift a tad quicker.

nutz4sand      I like that name, reminds me of a joke  I'm dating a midget cause I am nutz over her!!!  ;D ;D ;D

thanksfor the info. 
my transaxle has an 4.57 r&p and 1st is a tad higher than stock but all my gears are weddle. I have thought about a shift light but so far my rev limiter doubles for that  ;) ;D  I do need a shift light where I can see it, I get so focused on the road ahead I start to get tunnel vision and don't see my guages, just something I am going to have to shake because slowing down is so hard to do!

the cure all is to just sell this one and build another mini if I can't get just a little more rpm's.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 10:17:50 AM »
Push Fabr to get his done and test it out. If it proves worthy you can have him help you get one and swap out the motor out of yours for a Hayabusa then rev away!
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 10:30:26 AM »
Push Fabr to get his done and test it out. If it proves worthy you can have him help you get one and swap out the motor out of yours for a Hayabusa then rev away!

I would have to build a whole new chassis but that's no problem. as far as pushing fabr you need to tell his wife that!  I like the busa but the zx10r rev's to 13k, more fun but less tq, same hp and 78lbs lighter.

I am running 1300 paddles also, I know that wheel slip is extreme and a set of 1450's would help but I would also like to get a little higher rev if I could but safely, I don't care about blowing a motor as long as it is here at home. 2 hrs to change and $300 -400 to replace from the salvage yards. might be fun to shut the rev limiter off and see how high it will go before it blows short of the oil mess it'll make!

If I do decide to rev it till it blows I will have to give fastcorvairs a shout in case he would like to help. I'm only 15 miles north of lincoln neb.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 10:34:17 AM by Dsrace »

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 08:38:52 PM »
You decide to blow it I want to be there!! 6350 in your garage is f@#$ing loud.  :)
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 06:33:18 AM »
Things are speeding up.Just not fast enough.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 06:34:49 AM »
oct 17th or 18th '08 about 4 dunes back from butter cup.
LS Buttercup? I guess I need to stop and look around a bit more instead of just riding like a bat out of hell..I never noticed it look like that before.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 08:52:49 AM »
LS Buttercup? I guess I need to stop and look around a bit more instead of just riding like a bat out of hell..I never noticed it look like that before.

I think its a good thing Fabr has a GPS......

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal