Author Topic: Wiring... Headaches on the horizon!  (Read 10704 times)

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
Wiring... Headaches on the horizon!
« on: January 26, 2013, 07:29:07 AM »
Ok, so I'm getting organized and labeling everything in my harness and I have a few questions to start with probably a few more to follow. I know most of you run the Busa, but I'm running the GSX-R 1000.

1.  The 1000 runs the EXCVA valve in the mid pipe, which controls back pressure. This ties into, or shares power from the ECM with the AP sensor, the coolant temp sensor, the IAPETUS sensor, the IAT sensor. It would be easy enough to figure out a resistor value for wide open, but what do I lose in performance at cooler temps?

2. Is there a source for the plug on the back of the speedo cluster? I bought a 2003 headlamp harness assuming it would work with the 2004 since the schematic covers both years. No dice, it won't marry the main harness because the connectors are different. I'd rather resale it instead of scavenging the plug for $40.

3. Am I missing something? Did Suzuki just hard wire all lights without relays? Where should I use relays not included with the factory wiring?

4. Basic strategy question. Should I plug all applicable plugs in, strip the loom, reroute as necessary, lengthen, and re-tape the harness? Seems to be the easiest option, this way I can completely eliminate useless wires instead of dead ending them in the loom.

Thanks for any input!
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Wiring... Headaches on the horizon!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 08:14:20 AM »
1. I don't know. I deleted that stuff with the turbo.
2. No source anywhere that I know of.Damn sure is not for the busa.  bs1
3.Use relays for any higher amp devices. No need for low amp stuff.
4.IMO,yes.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:20:41 AM by masterfabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 09:04:49 AM »
My Yamaha R1 motor had an exhaust valve. Looked in the repair manual for normal ohms at operating and picked up a resistor from radio shack. Ran great. There was some place online selling a valve delete kit for $75 but was just a neatly packaged resistor.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 10:42:31 AM »
It could be worse, you could have a Goldwing harness.........

But yes to #4, strip it and remove all non used wires.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 11:18:03 AM »
damn gold wing harness looks like a car harness!!! nuts. 

When I was doing my 03 gsxr600 harness.  I got a nice large full color digram.  Tracked what i needed to use and extended those.  re routed longer items to be shorter for the places i needed.  And i didnt remove sections I didnt need, because I had done that with the previous engine & harness and it just took longer and really didnt clean it up much like I had hoped.

be careful and thoughtfull. recheck everything as your doing it.  youll be ok!
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 11:42:27 AM »
don't know about the gsxr 1k but on a 929rr honda i removed that valve and wound up putting it back in to run n/a, reason was it shaved 2k rpm off take off on bottom end. can't say i felt any power increase at higher rpm w/o it either but bottom end it really made a diff with the exup valve. 

I like to clean the harness's but you do not have to.  otherwise what fabbr said.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 04:42:32 PM »
It's going pretty good, just haven't had a ton of time. I got most of the wiring extended. I built my dash yesterday and it turned out pretty nice. I ran three on/off switches with indicator lights. One for main power, one for lights and one for spare.

Question: do you guys run a start button and a kill button or just use the main power switch to kill engine? I'm not sure if killing ECM power while running can be problematic. Thanks

If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 05:17:03 PM »
I run main power on a key, start button, and I run an engine/fuel pump kill switch very close to my left hand on the dash. Always have a backup IMO. Wired in just like factory, no problems. Lots of BS involved with trying to use an OFF/ON/Start keyswitch to fire the motor, at least with Suzuki..
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 03:34:06 PM »
The 04 GSXR  has 4 wires to ignition. On requires Red and Orange to be made for getting power to the fuse block and the O/Y and Brown to be made to power the ECM and rear combo light. I don't have a factory ignition switch/key with my harness since it didn't come with my kit. I have a handful of SPST toggles. Any issues with running two toggles to substitute the ignition switch? I can throw a battery cutoff switch in for "security". I don't know if a universal switch would do what I need and I don't want to spend $100 or more on a used Suzuki switch. Suggestions?

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 10:59:21 AM »
Im looking at a Busa diagram, but is O/Y-Brown running power to the ECU or is it pulling to ground? Busa runs to ground which I think I remember soldering together and that was that. I don't see an issue running two switches if need be. I would have to dig back through my notes and the rats nest to know for sure what I did.
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 12:14:28 PM »
The 1000 diagram shows O/Y to the ECM and Br splitting to go to positive on fuse block and then to rear combo light and license plate.

You're right. It looks like O/Y is pulling power from ECM. I assumed it was supplying power to the ECM, but that would mean the brake light and license plate would always be hot since the ground isn't switched.
So O/Y is switched to supply + to the fuse block. So that leads to another question. I think I know the answer, but I want to make sure.

Is the +/- on the fuse block only used for the flasher? It doesn't break down further than that in the diagram, but I assume it is since - supplies power to the signals. If + has no other function then I can just abandon O/Y and brown since I don't need the combo light or signals, right? I plan on using a fused circuit for my always on amber light.

Thanks!

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 02:33:26 PM »
Hmmmm..Don't know about the flashers without seeing the diagram.. If you are going to use your own circuit you should be able to proceed without it if it is only powering the flasher/lights

Do you have a downloaded wiring diagram you are using or the GSXR service manual?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:35:19 PM by Enemy »

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 04:21:07 PM »

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 04:31:12 PM »
Just bring it to LS Oklahoma in 5 wk. I'm a master of bringing untested unfinished ride across country to play. Well have you riden by sundown!  Lol
I like to make it run before I cut the harness. Then Do away with wires and pin if you want for things I'm not running thru factory harness.  Extend wires few at time and checking to make sure shell fire off occasionally.  Not sure on year u have but they started imobilizer keys on some makes mid 2000's.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 05:10:47 PM »
Just bring it to LS Oklahoma in 5 wk. I'm a master of bringing untested unfinished ride across country to play. Well have you riden by sundown!  Lol
I like to make it run before I cut the harness. Then Do away with wires and pin if you want for things I'm not running thru factory harness.  Extend wires few at time and checking to make sure shell fire off occasionally.  Not sure on year u have but they started imobilizer keys on some makes mid 2000's.

If I ever do this again I will follow your advice. It'll run! It better! LOL

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal