Author Topic: Slow Build by Engineer  (Read 87165 times)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Re: Slow Build by Engineer
« Reply #225 on: December 14, 2010, 08:16:59 PM »
looks great
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #226 on: December 14, 2010, 10:46:22 PM »
looks great

Thanks!  Rear shock mount isn't finished....  It will look like the plan when it's done.  ;)

SPEC

« Reply #227 on: December 15, 2010, 05:37:58 AM »
As soon as you get a seat in it I might have to come over and make VROOM VROOM  noises
Looks REALL GOOD E-Farmer mm: jj: mm:

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #228 on: December 15, 2010, 07:59:57 AM »
Thanks Spec!

SPEC

« Reply #229 on: December 15, 2010, 08:12:23 AM »
 ;D

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #230 on: December 15, 2010, 09:27:46 AM »
Just by looking at the way the front tire's are setting.  It looks like it well have a nice short turn radius. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #231 on: December 15, 2010, 10:11:47 PM »
Just by looking at the way the front tire's are setting.  It looks like it well have a nice short turn radius.

I hope so.  I just don't know if it would be worth giving up some ackerman to get the outer tire to turn more?  Then again if the inner tire is fighting the outer then it may be a wash.  drowning

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #232 on: December 16, 2010, 06:35:46 AM »
IMO,don't give up ackerman.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Grimm Reaper Racing

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #233 on: December 16, 2010, 08:23:34 AM »
I hope so.  I just don't know if it would be worth giving up some ackerman to get the outer tire to turn more?  Then again if the inner tire is fighting the outer then it may be a wash.  drowning

The outer tire does most of the turning... As the weight is shifted to that side of the car when you are turning in to a corner.  It might be worth losing just a bit to get the outside tire to turn in some more.  Can you make it adjustable, so you can do bit of testing?

By the way Carl, that rail is looking sweet as hell.  I'm starting to wish I would've built a two seater.  That way if I did something really stupid, I could allow one of my buddies to experience the thrill with me. kick  rofl
See you all duneside.😎🤙

LiveWire

« Reply #234 on: December 16, 2010, 08:41:52 AM »
I have played with it and making the outside tire turn more without the inner will cause an increase in turning radius.

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #235 on: December 16, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
I have played with it and making the outside tire turn more without the inner will cause an increase in turning radius.

And making the inside tire turn more without the outside will decrease the turning radius ???
See you all duneside.😎🤙

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #236 on: December 16, 2010, 08:57:04 AM »

LiveWire,  Have a look see at this pic. 

Can you see how much more the inside wheel is turning compared to the outside.  If Carl can take a bit of turn, out of the inside wheel, and transfer that to the outside wheel, I think you'll see that the turn radius will get smaller. 

He doesn't have to take very much at all.  I understand that the inside wheel needs to turn further than the out side because the radius of the inside wheels path is shorter than that of the outside.  That part is easy, however.  If the outside wheel doesn't turn in enough to match the turning radius of the inside wheel plus the difference between the tires you will have increased your turning radius as the weight is transferred to the outside tire in a turn.  Do you follow?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 09:00:55 AM by Grimm Reaper Racing »
See you all duneside.😎🤙

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #237 on: December 16, 2010, 09:59:41 AM »
The only time that I think it will make a difference is in low speed turning.  I hope I never get to lock at high speed. :o  Anyway at low speed I don't think that there will be as much weight transfer to the outer tire.  On the other hand because of the sand tires I chose the inner tires will not have much turning power anyway.

I only have the tie rod ears tacked on the uprights but I think I am going with Livewires experience.

It would be difficult to make it strong and adjustable.  Plus it would screw with bumpsteer unless you also made the rack spacer adjustable.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #238 on: December 16, 2010, 12:53:11 PM »
So your going to shorten the tie rod mounts on spindle?  On a posi rear buggy can it turn too much.  Your going to get a certain amount of push w/o a diff right.  Thanks Carl, from another Carl.  rofl

Watching real close, I have something in the works. ;D
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #239 on: December 16, 2010, 01:21:38 PM »
So your going to shorten the tie rod mounts on spindle?  On a posi rear buggy can it turn too much.  Your going to get a certain amount of push w/o a diff right.  Thanks Carl, from another Carl.  rofl

Watching real close, I have something in the works. ;D

I don't think I will change anything at this point.  KPI really multiplies the angle on the hiems.  I need to do a bit of clearancing for full droop anyway.

I am watching Carl.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal